Jump to content
    W_L
  • Author
  • 998 Words
  • 1,025 Views
  • 0 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

WL's Mainstream Gay Book Reviews - 14. Sex Ed by Z.B. Heller

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/34862570

Oh boy, I can describe this book in one word: Messy. That’s not in a good way, either. It’s short at 292 pages and 6 hours 36 minutes on audible, so probably around 50-60K words.

The story is about a geeky boy named Jaxson, who is 23, gay, and still a virgin. He writes comic books as an amateur, but has lacked the confidence to present his work to a publisher. Due to an accident with a gay sex toy, he has to go to an ER, which ends up with his encounter with Tyler, a 25 years old nurse. The story focus on their budding romantic relationship and eventual consummation with a variety of side-stories and low-level angst. Despite what the description of the story may allude, Tyler did not teach Jaxson how to express himself sexually.

Is it a comedy? Yes, but the humor is hit-or-miss with a few parts that just went a bit way off the mark to Pluto. The sex toy incident at the beginning of the book was funny and believable as I worked in medical centers before and I have heard the gossip about similar things. Yet, Jaxson’s family commentary on his sex life felt so off. Yes, there are open minded families and its true people joke about sex all the time, but there’s a line in the sand, especially around strangers. Other details that fell flat, how stupid could a modern mother be as to not recognize her daughter was having sex in a dark basement during her various study sessions with male members of her high school? That scene where Jaxson and Tyler hunt down Colton, Tyler’s nephew, was such a throwback. I can accept a lot of incredulity, but in the modern world, if I ever had a daughter, I would lay down the ground rules, while offering condoms and pills, because I am not a stupid 1950’s puritanical parent, who has never heard of “sex before marriage”, heaven forbid! That scene wasn’t funny, it wasn’t immature, nor was it even cringey. The scene was just wrong.

(Worst bad-joke: Ethan, Jaxson best friend and cousin, being described as a toddler of gay parents finding a butt plug, thinking its a pacifier 🙉 If you want people to be against gay surrogacy or gay parenting in general, I can't imagine a more horrific sight.)

Was this a drama? Yes, Tyler’s story was very dramatic as young man dealing with raising his nephew, whose father, Tyler’s brother, died due to a secret drug addiction and overdose. Yet, his interesting story lost its shine compared to Jaxson’s search to lose his virginity, which was something that could be done so much better and far more romantically than was here. There is a type of plot dissonance that neutered the ability for me at least as a reader to enjoy the story. I did enjoy Tyler’s nephew Colton’s justified angst and teenage rebellion, initially, but sometimes, I think the tropes the Z.B Heller used just fell apart as something from the 80’s or early 90’s sitcoms.

Was this a gay sex fantasy-worthy of a certain website known for gay erotica? Sometimes, but not enough to even get my flag up halfway. Plus, the main characters just felt off, like Tyler is not old enough for his maturity, nor is Jaxson innocent enough for the fantasies. Again, the dissonance that sort of breaks their stories also breaks their relationship's compatibility. The summary/blurb of Sex Ed made me think, "might be a fun sexy romance comedy about someone learning to be more sexually expressive", but what I got was a halfway drama with comedy that just didn't always work, plus a few spicy scenes. I wanted hellfire sexy heat at least and got an egg being cooked under the summer sun's heat. It was disappointing for those who want vivacious gay sex as well.

The over-the-top side characters like Ethan, Jaxson straight best friend and cousin due to his gay uncle, and Sophie, Jaxson’s twin sister made a great impression, when they were around it was comedic. Their banter and love-hate diatribe with each other after an event gave fresh air to the story, like an episode of the classic sitcom Friends. The Jaxson’s other family members, especially his mother, felt off, there’s something unbelievably cartoonish about them.

I felt whiplash, when I read this gay romance: maybe it’s Z.B Heller style, but she’s not bridging the dichotomy of Jaxson cartoonish over-the-top problems and Tyler dramatic real-life issues. I get the character template she chose, since Jaxson being a comic book geek and amateur creator should have a cartoonish backdrop, while Tyler being a gay nurse with sexual experience should be dealing with real-world issues. However, there are better ways to incorporate and meld both sides together. For her fans, I know Heller writes heterosexual romance as well as Male-Male gay romance, I think her style didn’t translate well between the genres, or she fell back on a lot of old preconceived notions that makes no-sense in the modern world. I do respect what she wanted to do with the characters, but I just can’t understand at times why she made certain plot moves.

My Rating: 2.5 out of 5, I love the geeky gay guy meeting his perfect partner stories, but this is an example of something that I didn’t enjoy. It felt too unbalanced, too unrealistic with realistic elements, but not surreal. I cannot recommend this book, but I can see why some people like it.

___________

Short review, but I don’t want to bash a gay fiction writer, she tried her best and I understand what she was looking to do. I might not enjoy this story, but it’s just my opinion. I know on Goodreads this is one of her highest rated books. Maybe, I am in the minority, it just didn’t feel right to me compared to other gay fiction writers I enjoyed.

Copyright © 2021 W_L; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..