Jump to content
    W_L
  • Author
  • 1,134 Words
  • 404 Views
  • 0 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

WL's Mainstream Gay Book Reviews - 31. Football Sundae (Book 1 of Spruce Texas Series) by Daryl Banner

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/33955848

My reaction to this book: Oh Lord in Heaven, I think my gay heart can’t take so much sweetness. Yes, even this Yankee can find some joy in a good ole’ southern romance.

Daryl Banner was someone I haven’t really read anything on, he’s not as well known as some of the female and male LGBT writers I’ve noted in the past. Based on what I have read so far in his Spruce Texas series, I can honestly say he’s probably my go to writer for simple, sublime, and soulful gay fiction stories with just a little angst, little drama, and a lot of southern charm. I know he probably knows what reality is and what things are like based on oblique references in his books, but I find it even more endearing to read a writer who is willing to offer a hot bowl of gay chicken soup in the middle of winter. His writing style is not pure fantasy, but it’s close with the amount of wholesome and down-to-earth simple love non-judgmental gay romance. This is not as good or groundbreaking as Something like Summer or Aristotle and Dante, both of which I know I will eventually review, but there's a reason why Texas is such fertile ground for gay fiction stories. If you want light reading, instead diving into an emotional roller coaster, try this book and author out. Essentially this is gay pulp romance, it's pure escapism with no repercussions.

Length-wise, the book is 295 pages and 8 hours 7 minutes on audible. It’s a nice read for those who want to unwind with a low angst book, filled with love, southern charm, and solid helpings of greasy comfort foods that will ruin your calorie count.

Plot: Billy Tucker is a sweet gay young man, who works at his family diner-style restaurant in the little town of Spruce, Texas. He had to forego going to culinary school, because his father had health issues, so he had to work at the family business. A chance encounter during college break leads to Billy reconnecting with the heartthrob of his high school, Tanner Strong. Tanner comes from a wealthy family and was a high school football star, but he has found out that he’s just an average fish among other college athletes in Oklahoma. Tanner is also secretly gay, but he doesn’t tell anyone about it. However, despite its locale and stereotypes about small southern towns, Spruce is quite open-minded about gay people. Tanner starts inviting Billy over and Billy begins to create desserts for Tanner. They share their thoughts and become friends, their mutual attraction leads to the inevitable sexual experience, and they begin a secret relationship. Billy knows this is just a summer fling, because he’s likely going to Florida for culinary school next year and Tanner would return to Oklahoma. Tanner doesn’t want Billy to go, but does not want Billy to give up his dreams of being a chef for him. As their love deepens, other tension begins to rise as well. Tanner’s grandmother visits his home, forcing Tanner and Billy to cease their sexual activity. Billy grows unhappy about being Tanner’s secret lover, culminating in a public display by Tanner during Tanner’s birthday party. Can these two young men make it? Expect a Happily Ever After, but I won’t ruin it.

Review: It’s a low angst, comedic, and truly wholesome (or as wholesome as you can get it with a scene of ice cream, tongues, and gay sex). It’s not purely sexual though, because if it was just sex, I wouldn’t be as interested. The story is quite original, it plays with expectations of traditional gay romantic tropes and turns them upside down. Tanner did not need to be in the closet at home at all, but he still does out some misguided self-judgments. His family loves him, his friends love him, and the town he’s from loves him, despite his sexuality. Daryl Banner’s argument in this novel isn’t against obvious outward homophobia we hear and see, but an internalize fear, we as LGBT people fear within ourselves. Tanner and Billy are the stars of this book, they are very different people with shared desires. Sure, it’s a slow-burn at time, but when they get to consummating their love for one another, you just can’t help, but be happy for them.

In terms of side characters and background, there was also refreshingly low amounts of hatred or “message” story. Billy’s parents aren’t overbearing or obsessive about him being gay, his mother just ribs and jokes around him slightly that he’s in a relationship with Tanner. There’s a sense of normalization, like nothing Billy and Tanner were doing was different from the heterosexual couples in the story or worth noting. On the other side, I have read so many bigoted southern fiction stories, homophobic best friends, and insane backdrops, sometimes you just want a story like this as a palate cleanser, because there’s no one like that in this story. Characters that you worry may be like that, such as Tanner’s mother or grandmother for instance are played off on comedic notes, once Tanner Comes out to them.

Were there issues with the story? Yes, I know it’s unrealistic and can lead people to false expectation about a fantasy town in Texas. The author makes references and commentary about things like the use of words such as “Fag” as being common, despite how derogatory it is to a gay or bi person. I understand the argument of trying to take a negative word and remake it into something positive. I’ve mentioned before in another review that the word “Queer” has morphed into its own subdivision of our community, when traditionally it meant something similar in terms of derogatory connotations. I’m happy Daryl Banner only briefed touched on the concept so it didn’t remove the southern charm of his story, but on another level, I am unhappy that he couldn’t bring himself to use the word “Fag” more. I don’t like the word, personally, but I think it’s a mistake to bring up the concept in the first chapter of your book in order to reduce the negativity of a word, then dropping its use later in your book. I don’t blame Daryl for this, it’s a hard work for gay writers to use to describe ourselves and I am not sure if it can be reclaimed like has been.

My Review: 3.5 out of 5, it’s a solid and sweet story filled with nice southern charm. I’d recommend it to most anyone looking for a low angst read and want a southern gay romance without baggage. It’s not perfect, but I think Daryl did a nice job to just entertain readers with fluff.

Copyright © 2021 W_L; All Rights Reserved.
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..