Jump to content
    W_L
  • Author
  • 1,056 Words
  • 393 Views
  • 8 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

WL's Mainstream Gay Book Reviews - 35. Top Secret by Sarina Bowen and Elle Kennedy

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/45280797

For the End of September, I want to return to the beginning and review a book by the authors the Him Series, Sarina Bowen and Elle Kennedy. They had another joint venture in the same sex male romance fiction area around two fraternity brothers, who fall in love with each other, neither of whom identifies as gay. Technically, you can argue with me that this book technically falls under bisexual fiction with references to heterosexual sex and is outside the criteria of my book reviews. However, it’s a same sex relationship between committed male lovers, so literally it’s homosexual and gay. What they have with each other is what I am reviewing; even if they don’t identify under the same sexual orientation as me.

Length-wise, it is 318 pages long and 9 hours 25 minutes on audible. It is a decent romance novel with moderate to high heat intensity, there’s some angst and some drama towards the end.

Plot: Keaton Hayworth is the star of the College Football team, hugely popular, and has a loving girlfriend of many years. He comes from a wealthy family, which has a long legacy and business interests. He’s in a fraternity, which he is seeking to become President out of a sense of obligation to his friend and his familial reputation. His girlfriend, Annika, wants something special for her birthday, a threesome between her, him, and another man. Keaton goes on a hookup app and meets a stranger to arrange a threesome with his girlfriend, but finds himself aroused by the dirty talk of the anonymous guy from the app. It turns out the other man is Luke Bailey, a scholarship kid in the same fraternity as Keaton, who is also running for President of their fraternity. Luke is seeking the fraternity presidency, because he wanted to the free room that the position has. Luke comes from a poor background and can’t really afford a college education; he’s barely scraping by payments through a combination of thrift and his secret side job as a male stripper. Through a series of unlikely events, close calls, and escalating sexual tensions, Keaton and Luke fall in love with each other. However, trouble looms on the horizon as Keaton’s football friends hate Luke, Keaton is under pressure from his father to succeed as he had at winning Fraternity Presidency, Luke’s felon brother trying to scheme a robbery at their university, and Luke’s secret double life as a stripper. The story has a happily ever after, but there’s a lot of tension built up.

Review: Overall, it’s what you’d expect from a gay romance, but I will have to note that I was sort of disappointed by Sarina Bowen and Elle Kennedy’s effort in this novel. I know they did their best and parts of this novel were really good. The plot was a fun read, there were nice little pieces of humor, and the characters actually had great conversational chemistry through their chats.

In terms of chatting, LobsterShorts and SinnerThree were great alternate internet personas of the main character, I just wish Sarina and Elle pushed forward on that concept deeper as there are millions of people with alternate personas online engaged in same sex relationships, it would have been more creative to explore that angle further. Black Mirror tried to explore a gay online relationship in their Episode “Striking Vipers”, but it didn’t work as well as their lesbian effort in “San Junipero”, there’s a good amount of psychology and depth that could have worked for this story.

I thought Keaton’s character’s awakening to the fact that he only loved Annika, because he felt like he was supposed to, might mean that he’s been repressing his homosexuality for a while. It’s my interpretation and the character doesn’t claim to be gay per se, so I am not going to put a label on him, but I know through the experiences of other older gay men, it’s not that odd to realize what you are “supposed to feel” isn’t what you “actually feel”, when you finally find someone that brings out that part of you.

Luke was a fun bisexual character with a horrible background and secret struggle that I wish he’d share with others far more than he does in the book. He’s working himself to the bone trying to keep his education, his job, and his family from overtaking his life. Sexually, he’s quite confident and I am glad that he is comfortable enough around others, but I never quite felt like his stripping job played as great a role as it could have in the story. In the end, the male stripper angle just felt like a plot device that Sarina and Elle didn’t think completely through. His family issues also felt far too dramatic and abrupt, like he doesn’t need to be part of a vicious cycle. His mother and brother were two-dimensional villains, who I can understand being important for conflict, but did readers need them to be so nasty to Luke.

As you can tell, I’m of 2 minds on this book. Part of me likes it and really enjoyed the concepts that Sarina and Elle identified. The storylines of college kids and fraternity guys especially were fun. The main characters were developed well and they had great initial chemistry. However, I just feel like there was too many plot devices added in: Luke being a stripper, Keaton’s dad possibly hating him for failing, Keaton’s asshole Jock fraternity friends, Luke’s dysfunctional criminal family, and so on. One of the problems, I’ve noticed about good writers, there’s too many ideas working against each other, it was true for Bill Konigsberg as well. That’s why male or female authors of gay fiction really need a good beta reader filter, not just an editor, to help them focus ideas.

My Review: 3.5 out 5, it’s worth a reading, but I would advise readers to not have extremely high expectations for all the plot elements, because many of them go nowhere in the end. It's not horrible, just not as great as HIM. I enjoyed the plots that actually worked and the characters played off each other's needs and desires well. I've seen rave reviews on it and worst reviews, my reaction falls somewhere in the middle.

Copyright © 2021 W_L; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I read it and enjoyed it, but my expectation was pretty on par for what it was, so there wasn’t much disappointment. It was an easy read. They had some fun banter. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Mrsgnomie said:

I read it and enjoyed it, but my expectation was pretty on par for what it was, so there wasn’t much disappointment. It was an easy read. They had some fun banter. 

It's enjoyable, but I wish some of those plot elements paid off more. I think their first joint venture with HIM spoiled me, it worked far more.

I'll be reviewing Sarina Bowen Roommate next month, which I think worked much better than Top Secret, if you haven't read it yet, I suggest you give that book a shot. I also am partial to New England settings, bakers, and repressed artistic gay farm boy. I know it's a standalone set in the Vino et Veritas Universe of gay romance stories by various authors, so I'll use that to give people a glimpse at that collective universe.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I agree wholeheartedly with your review, although I would struggle to give this more than 2 stars. I bought the book straight after finishing HIM and US, both of which have become firm favourites. Fortunately, at the same time as downloading Top Secret, I stumbled upon Sabrina Bowen’s solo effort The Understatement of the Year, which in my view is far superior. I finished Roommate last month and agree it’s better than Top Secret, but still not her finest work. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
29 minutes ago, lomax61 said:

 I stumbled upon Sabrina Bowen’s solo effort The Understatement of the Year, which in my view is far superior.

Downloading now.

I also read Roommate a few months back and it was ok, but not among my favorite.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, lomax61 said:

I agree wholeheartedly with your review, although I would struggle to give this more than 2 stars. I bought the book straight after finishing HIM and US, both of which have become firm favourites. Fortunately, at the same time as downloading Top Secret, I stumbled upon Sabrina Bowen’s solo effort The Understatement of the Year, which in my view is far superior. I finished Roommate last month and agree it’s better than Top Secret, but still not her finest work. 

Looks promising, I'll have to read Understatement of the Year, it looks like a prototype for HIM/US.

Have you read EPIC in the series, it sort of completes the story-line.

1 hour ago, Mrsgnomie said:

Downloading now.

I also read Roommate a few months back and it was ok, but not among my favorite.

I enjoyed the first half of Roommate a lot, the slow-burn romance was fun. I think some of the story-line might be a little too perfect, but it does fit the Vino et Veritas  universe and if you enjoy hetero-romance True North general romance universe.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/308145-vino-and-veritas

-------------

I am planning to review Sarina Bowen's alternate pen-named story Goodbye Paradise, she wrote it under her Nealy Wagner pen-name. It is an interesting plot and has some fun concepts that I've rarely read about in one package.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

@Mrsgnomieand @lomax61, by the way,  I try not to give writers extremely negative reviews on gay fiction books, unless the books clearly deserves it or the author Queerbait the reader, like Emily Skrutskie's Bond of Brass, which earned my only 1 star review so far and I ask for a refund from Amazon. That book left me unsatisfied, angry I wasted my time, and not happy with the author, who shows she can write heterosexual characters but is so confused and restrained with writing her main gay/bi protagonists.

 

Edited by W_L
  • Like 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, W_L said:

@Mrsgnomieand @lomax61, by the way,  I try not to give writers extremely negative reviews on gay fiction books, unless the books clearly deserves it or the author Queerbait the reader, like Emily Skrutskie's Bond of Brass, which earned my only 1 star review so far and I ask for a refund from Amazon. That book left me unsatisfied, angry I wasted my time, and not happy with the author, who shows she can write heterosexual characters but is so confused and restrained with writing her main gay/bi protagonists.

 

The act of finishing writing a book is so momentous that I respect any author who manages to get that far. If they’ve also done the legwork of getting published and marketing (or self-published, and done a good job of redrafting and editing) then I am never going to give someone a 1 star review. If it’s dreadful, I would rather not review at all.

I have been known to give low reviews when the gay characters are inauthentic and unbelievable, or if the story feels contrived or unrealistic. My problem is that I read MM romance and fiction from the perspective of a living, breathing gay man, and forget that we were never the intended audience. Does that mean the concept of Queerbaiting does not apply? (Discuss, lol). These writers are creating a fictionalised world in which usually masculine men (policemen, sportsmen, detectives, firemen, soldiers) have romantic feelings for another man and the setup plays out a sexual fantasy on the page for their female readers. Conversely, a lesbian friend tells me that a significant proportion of lesbian fiction is written and read by straight men. 

The key for me is whether it’s done well. That’s why I love writers like NR Walker, Sabrina Bowen, River Jaymes, and, to a lesser extent, Abigail Roux and Madeleine Urban, because they research and write their characters realistically. Maybe that’s also why gay male authors like Brad Boney, J F Smith and Marshall Thornton, who (IMHO) truly understand and create believable gay characters, are often passed over by female readers of gay romance, because they include all aspects of gay culture, warts and all.

I’ve downloaded EPIC, by the way, and am already halfway through Blood and Milk, and loving the storyline. N R Walker has a real knack for taking you to another place, the way she did in the Red Dirt series.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

@lomax61

Agreed, I don't like discouraging writers, who put in the work and actually craft good stories. I also don't have a problem with Fan-Fiction writers as some people might, it's nice to see new ideas and concept created from preexisting concepts. We all have bad days and make mistakes when we write, there's no fault for being creative and things falling through. L.A Witt is a great author, but I had to give her Husband Gambit a 2.75 out of 5 review, because the story just didn't work for me, there's better stuff out there and she's written better books, which you can compare things to. Still, a 2.75 rating isn't unreadable, it's just a book that didn't work for me as a reader.

However, I do have a line in the sand, when an author misrepresents their stories and create character that are counterintuitive to a story arc and plot. For me, a 1-star review is reserved for those authors who craft a bad story with deceptive themes, a 0-star review is a special, kind of the like the last circle of hell in Dante's inferno for histories greatest betrayers.

In terms of superb gay fiction, I think there are standout gay male writers. Tal Bauer is really good male gay writer, his Executive Office series is like the gay version of a Tom Clancy's Ryanverse. He also has a really good Duology: Hush/Whisper, thrilling international thriller, courtroom trials with high stakes, and intricate terrorist plots. He's basically GA's CJames, if CJames went into mainstream publishing. I might love romance, but I also appreciate strong gay/bi male characters written with a complex plot and high stakes.

Bill Konigsberg and Jay Bell are just as good if not better gay romance writers than many of their female counterparts, they actually have won acclaim for their complex gay romance novel series. You might want to give them a read at some point.

Jordan L. Hawk is one of my favorite southern Trans authors of gay fantasy that most people don't even hear about, but I follow his work, too. You don't need to be a cisgender gay male or heterosexual female to write superb stories, a small sub-segment of trans/non-binary authors do exist in gay fiction. If you want a fresh take, give them a try.

I'm fine with stories written by heterosexual female writers too, I read KM Neuhold and Ana Byrd for the escapist fantasies, Leta Blake and Keira Andrews for exotic concepts/stories with deep psychological characters, Nora Phoenix for my more extreme interests (I'm debating on whether or not I should post the review for No Shame Series, an in-depth BDSM book series might be too much for most readers), and countless others.

-----------

 

Edited by W_L
  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..