Jump to content
    W_L
  • Author
  • 1,155 Words
  • 957 Views
  • 0 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

WL's Mainstream Gay Book Reviews - 44. Halloween Month Special Reviews: Necromancer’s Dance (Book 1 of Beacon Hill Sorcerer Series) by S.J. Himes

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/56804771-the-necromancer-s-dance

I have a special place in my heart for S.J. Himes and this series, this book was my first published gay urban fantasy novel, when I bought it back in 2017 on kindle and later on audible. I was attracted to the premise, because it deals with magic and vampires, both fun topics in on themselves, but it also has the grand idea of worldbuilding around Boston, Massachusetts, a place I know intimately. It’s a unique gay romance story written by a native New Englander, who melds fictional and factual to create a very vibrant world. Plus, the magic we are dealing with Necromancy, a dark magic tied with death itself without negative characterization, so the book got bonus points. For a Halloween month special, I think this covers various aspects: Dark Magic, Vampires, and the undead.

Length-wise, it is 249 pages long and 8 hours 14 minutes on audible. It’s a decent book to read with lots of hot steamy gay sex scenes, I highly recommend the audible version most of all, since Joel Leslie has a sexy Irish brogue in his narration for Simeon and his Boston accent is passable for the other characters.

Plot: Angelus Salvatore, who goes by Angel to most, is the sole Necromancer in Massachusetts and comes from a long line of Sorcerers in the Salvatore family. Years ago, the infamous centuries old blood wars were still being fought in Boston between the Salvatore family and McAvoy family, both families’ notable for their sorcerer level prodigy. The war would end when Angel’s entire family, except for him and his brother Isaac, were slaughtered by a rogue clan of vampires, who had been bewitched by the McAvoy family. Angel in turn used a mysterious spell tied to his death magic affinity, which no one knows, wiping out hundreds of vampires and his enemies in what he thought was a last stand. The incident made him famous and feared among magical community.

As the novel begins, Angel arrives at Boston’s sole vampire clan Headquarters to ascertain why Greg Doyle, his brother Isaac’s good-for-nothing boyfriend had attempted to rob them. He learns that Greg was hexed by a practitioner, a magic user, but is unable to discover who it was. Simeon, the Elder vampire of whom Angel has had past dealings with and shares romantic feelings. As Angel and Simeon try to unravel the mystery surrounding the attempted burglary of the Boston Vampire Clan, a demon is summoned to attack Angel, causing a major scene of destruction near the Boston statehouse. The police are conspiring against Angel Salvatore due to their allegiance to the nearly extinct McAvoy clan, while tensions mount with escalating threats to Angel. Another body is found outside Angel’s teaching studio, the body of Angel’s own mentor by the hands of a vampire. As the mystery and danger deepens, so does Simeon and Angel’s romantic and sexual relationship to the point. What follows is an elaborate plot to ensnare Angel in the vampire world’s internal politics and a possible link to the century’s old blood wars between Salvatore and McAvoy families. The ending is happy-for-now, the series continues with new threats and new adventures for the Beacon Hill Sorcerer and his family.

Review: I am a huge fan of writers, who go big on worldbuilding. S.J. Himes is probably one of the reasons why, because she’s one of the most confident gay urban fantasy fiction writers I have ever read. Her magical world follows several modern fantasy concepts like magical alignment. There are 5 major alignments in her magical world: Air, Fire, Water, Earth, and Death. There are classes of magic users among humans, the rankings of witches and wizards that we are accustomed to from Harry Potter world are the lowest rank of magic users, while the highest ranks of sorcerers like Angel are incredibly powerful with their affinity and can use other affinities. Magical creatures exist in this world from the standard magic user, vampire, and werewolf to the more exotic Fae, Trolls, and Dragons of more medieval fantasy genre stories. Yet, she has melded them all in a somewhat realistic society with its own rules and even modern technologies like smartphones and automobiles, which humans without magical ability developed in tandem. I am just scratching the surface of the world-building she does in her book and the series as a whole, there’s so much more.

Also, the sex was hot as well, especially if you are one of those guys into tall broody Irish guys, who uses ancient Irish words with his normal everyday speech that makes you want to offer your neck for a taste. One thing I will note for people into paranormal romances, vampire and human mating is unlike the kind found in werewolf shifter genre. The passion is sexual initially, but there’s courtship and need of maintenance between partners for the bond to grow between partner. Destined bonds do not happen like the Omegaverse stories. Sex is easy, the relationship is hard, especially for Angel and Simeon. Beyond just the fact that Angel is human, he’s a magic user and his blood is poisonous to vampires, Simeon still loves him despite the fact that he may never be able to bite his lover and form a true bond with him or take him in a way only a vampire mate could. It’s a fascinating aspect of the romantic chemistry between Simeon and Angel, it’s a love that is dangerous, but the feelings are too strong to ignore.

I also love the entire backstory of the blood wars and the inclusion of interesting side characters like Isaac, who is a fascinating mix of brat and traumatized young adult. There’s a story behind his internalize pain and self-destructive habits, along with his choice of lovers like Greg Doyle. The funny scenes with Detective Collins, a corrupt cop with loyalties to the McAvoy clan, is disturbing and fascinating to watch as I do know where S.J. Himes got her inspiration from Boston’s sordid history with Irish and Italian issues, if you take that into consideration, you’ll appreciate the subtle dig she makes.

As for negatives, I will admit that the sex scenes, while very hot and steamy, were a little too abrupt. I know S.J. Himes built up the romantic tension between Angel and Simeon, but the sexual dam burst felt like it was too much too fast. They don’t have insta-love, but they did have insta-passion, which may not appeal to everyone. However, I don’t mind it as I enjoyed her world-building and the sex itself was hot, even if I think she does a better job of sexual chemistry with Isaac or even Daniel in later books.

My Review: 4.5 out 5, it’s a very good vampire/magic supernatural romance with engrossing world-building and amazing characters. I highly recommend giving this book a try for fans of fantasy genre.

Copyright © 2021 W_L; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..