Jump to content
    W_L
  • Author
  • 1,917 Words
  • 1,140 Views
  • 10 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

WL's Mainstream Gay Book Reviews - 50. The Persian Boy (Book 2 of Alexander the Great Series) by Mary Renault

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/67700

Among all the books that I have reviewed, all the classics and the modern epics, Mary Renault’s classic The Persian Boy is my favorite. Why do I love this book above the 1st or 3rd books in the series? Why do I love this book more than other classics written by gay fiction writers of renown? First, it’s a historical gay romance, which is unique especially for a book published in 1972. Second, it’s a 1st person narrative versus the other 2 books in the series, which may not allow as much flexibility in terms of understanding emotions or thoughts of others in exactness, but it does offer unique perspective from its titular character. Third, it is the first time I have ever read a MMM novel, essentially a love story between 3 men: Alexander, Hephaestion, and Bagoas from the perspective of the junior partner in the relationship with all the jealousy and love-hate between Bagoas and his rival Hephaestion. Mary Renault brought to light wonderful characters and setting in this book. I felt like I was standing besides Alexander the Great as the story unraveled detailing distant lands and wars hard won, I understood now why Julius Caesar wept at Alexander’s monument and why so many men of great accomplishments feel small besides him. As a modern gay man, I can relate to all the gay characters, who rise beyond all odds and are now legends worthy of this massive epic.

Length-wise, it is 432 pages long and 19 hours 57 minutes on Audible. This is a true epic at 129,168 words, so I do not advise readers to take the challenge of reading it lightly. It’s a book that should be enjoyed over a week, maybe on vacation on the beach in the summer or a ski lodge in the winter.

Plot: Bagoas was a boy born of minor Persian nobility. When he was 10 years old, the current king of Persia had died and his father, supporting a rival claimant to the throne, was betrayed and assassinated by a trusted friend. While most of his family was murdered, a soldier saw the young boy and kidnapped him. He was sold to a slaver, who had him castrated to be sold as a household slave. He spent much of his youth being a house slave at first, then as the fortunes of his master soured, he became a pleasure slave, sold to other Persian men for sex, until he was sold to the current Persian king, Darius III, who became his new master and sexual partner. At around 16 years old after the defeat of Darius’ forces and the inevitable fall of Persian Empire, Bagoas is presented to Alexander, King of Macedon and Greece, and entered his service. Bagoas noticed that Alexander and Hephaestion were already in an intimate relationship and sulks over his inability to have Alexander’s heart. However, through several events and encounters, Alexander does engage in sexual intercourse with Bagoas, despite Bagoas being a Eunuch. While Bagoas respected Hephaestion as Alexander’s partner in war, administration, and their deep bond akin to marriage, it was a complicated relationship. During the same period, Alexander began making reforms, trying to incorporate Persian customs and their military into his own forces. This resulted in several betrayals and assassination plots orchestrated by certain Greek and Macedonian elements in his army. Alexander defeated all his detractors and retained the devotion of his army as he marched eastward. Nearing India, Alexander also married his first wife, a Bactrian (present-day Afghanistan/Pakistan) noble woman named Roxanne, who is depicted as a cunning and ruthless woman. She attempted to kill Bagoas with poison as it was the custom against royal favorites, like Bagoas, which adds a strain to her and Alexander’s already rocky political marriage. The story continues to describe Alexander’s conquest of Northern India, crossing of the vast desert, and his desire to be a “Great King”, worthy of divinity. Bagoas remains by his side through it all, including the death of Hephaestion, which left a void in Alexander that he could never fill. The novel ends with death of Alexander and the beginning of the infamous of Wars of Succession between all the claimants to Alexander’s throne.

Spoiler

(Side-note: Mary Renault in the last chapters of the book hints at a historical theory that is quite provocative. Cassander, the son of Antipater Alexander’s regent of Macedon, may have poisoned Alexander or had accelerated Alexander’s death through inebriation. As a student of classical history, I know that Cassander would later perform several nefarious plots, including killing Alexander’s mother, son, and wife, while marrying Alexander’s half sister to grant him the title of “Regent” over the empire. He’s the villain in book 3 of the series. Historically, I can see why as he does attempt to steal Alexander’s hard-won empire without doing anything and poisoning wouldn’t be too far-fetched.)

Review: This is what I believe a gay historical epic should be. The story was realistic, but dared to dream of something greater than what was available even in the author’s own era. Mary Renault saw exactly what an ideal gay marriage could be with Alexander and Hephaestion, before we even had the glimmer of hope that such a thing would be possible among our community. She also saw complex relationships that we are only barely exploring in fiction today with polyamory in open-gay relationships through the lens of history's greatest gay power couple Alexander and Hephaestion, with the minor potential lover Bagoas. It's refreshing to read something original, even if it was written in 1972.

Beyond just the gay relationship, Napoleon Bonaparte once said that “In our time no one has the conception of what is great. It is up to me to show them”, his efforts pale in comparison to Alexander the Great, who defined greatness. Territories and empires will rise or fall, but culture and society continue far beyond mortal men. I loved the concept that Mary Renault used concerning Bagoas being the one to bear the “sons of dreams”, even if he was castrated and in a relationship with a man, who loved someone else slightly more. Alexander saw Bagoas as something unique and added to his own greatness by incorporating it. What Bagoas inspired in Alexander was the dream of a global culture, where the belief systems, languages, and peoples of all the known world could be united. Yes, it was created through war and struggle, but Alexander’s first goal was to be unifier, before a warrior.

In today’s world of small-minded men and women, who only see nationalism and ideologies like the petty Greek philosophers and demagogues, the villains of this epic, The Persian Boy is a call to aspiration and inspiration for unity. Mary Renault criticize Athenian idealism and Democratic concepts (already provocative as her arguments against such things are coming true with polarization and factionalism in Western world) as being faction-oriented and ultimately destructive to the very cause that it desires to empower. There are things in the novel that should give modern readers a lot to think about from the “Macedon First” mentality of certain leaders in Alexander’s army, who’s blatant racism toward non-Macedonians is harming administration, to Greeks elites vying to create fractures and creating false notions of liberty and freedom under the guise of Athenian concepts to divide the Alexander’s followers. You can easily see parallels to modern US politics and the dangers posed by both internal nativist threats and foreign agents, falsely proclaiming virtues of freedom, while playing their own geopolitical games. One would hope that a modern Alexander could come, who would use his force of will to silence the nationalist that harm national integrity and eliminate foreign demagogue from public discourse. If a nation wishes to be “Great”, it must seek to strengthen national integrity through national integration, not nationalism under a preset of one group or another just as Alexander did during his lifetime, creating a large multi-cultural army.

Beyond just modern correlations, at the center of the historic story, the characters are rich and complex. Bagoas isn’t just your stereotypical gay protagonist, who gets swept up by Alexander the Great. He’s got a complex background based on his Persian heritage, which is never forgotten throughout the book. He’s also not pure hearted or good person either, he’s jealous and envious of what Alexander and Hephaestion have with each other. However, despite contemplating killing Hephaestion himself, he loved Alexander to the point of understanding that Hephaestion was Alexander’s de-facto husband. Hephaestion for his part treated Bagoas respectfully and he even saved Bagoas’ life during their desert crossing by offering him water. I think in modern polyamory gay relationships, it’s quite hard to find a more realistic historical parallel between Alexander, Hephaestion, and Bagoas. Bagoas and Alexander shared love and attractions, while Bagoas tended to Alexander’s needs from dressing to eating to sleeping on time. Yet, in practical matters, Alexander’s mind and soul belonged with Hephaestion, who was his partner in the administration of the Empire and battlefield. These two men represented Alexander’s home life (Bagoas) and Work life (Hephaestion) partners, creating a dynamic that I have yet to find in other gay romance or historical fictions. Bagoas might be the side-boyfriend in the relationship, but Hephaestion does not appear to be jealous of Bagoas as Bagoas was of Hephaestion. As time passed, I think the two rivals actually grew to like one another. Personally, if this novel is historically accurate assuming all the theories pan out about their relationships, I think Alexander would have wanted Hephaestion and Bagoas to share a bed with him at some point.

Finally, the epic scope of the story is a brilliant catch all. Alexander the Great was bigger than life, but his actual features were plain and his height was quite small compared to other men in the book. He had the courage of a lion, a mind of a military genius, and a will of titanium, which he proves throughout the book with the man battles he fought against rival kings, rebels, and bandit armies that roam the land of the fallen Persian Empire. Alexander was also not merely a military leader, the book showcased how he ruled as a leader. He wanted to build and rule, not merely conquer and sack, his empire. Throughout the book, Alexander fights enemies abroad and friends close to his inner circle, including those who want to kill him, because his vision of continuation. He earned respect from his conquered peoples by accepting and incorporating them into his nation, he kept peace with his own people by keeping their faith in him, and he kept the loyalty of the common soldier by treating them like close friends or family, including sitting by the bed sides of the injured soldiers after a battle and offering to pay off their debts. From Bagoas standpoint, Alexander was a master of leadership and truly a character that deserved "Great" as an honorific.

I have nothing negative to say about this book, I loved it far too much to find fault with it. I know some of the story is conjecture and the only thing on record about Bagoas being Alexander’s lover was a famous kiss, unlike Hephaestion, who was more stated by many ancient sources as Alexander’s lover/pseudo-husband.

My Review: 5 out of 5, I just love this story too much and can praise it for far more than what I have written here.

Copyright © 2021 W_L; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

WL,  thanks for all of this series- I might give this one a try.   The depth of your reviews is really helpful.  You say enough about the books that I've identified  some as things you liked that aren't my cup of tea,  or that peeve you in a way that I'm willing to forgive (or actually like). 

And thanks also for the notes about how much trauma and pain is in the books; you've identified a couple that are great writing but likely too strong a dose for me. 

I also appreciate the notes about how long things are on Audible- 20hrs is more than I'm willing to commit,  much of the time,   but I might  pick this for a there-and-back long drive or something.    

 

Link to comment

Thanks for this, WL. I read this many, many years ago(close to fifty), and remember being enthralled. I love history, and it turned out to be my 'major' by the time I finished my five year Arts and Science program in high school. Honestly, I wanted to read it for the historical content, and ended up quite surprised at the central focus of the book. I remember being quite taken with it... it was an excellent book. 

It's been so long, I think it's time to read it again. I recently read "The Song of Achilles" by Madeline Miller, and thoroughly enjoyed revisiting history. something I'd gotten away from. Cheers! Gary.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Mattyboy said:

WL,  thanks for all of this series- I might give this one a try.   The depth of your reviews is really helpful.  You say enough about the books that I've identified  some as things you liked that aren't my cup of tea,  or that peeve you in a way that I'm willing to forgive (or actually like). 

And thanks also for the notes about how much trauma and pain is in the books; you've identified a couple that are great writing but likely too strong a dose for me. 

I also appreciate the notes about how long things are on Audible- 20hrs is more than I'm willing to commit,  much of the time,   but I might  pick this for a there-and-back long drive or something.    

 

I know not all the stories I read is for everyone, or even my own taste, but I am glad to explore them with the world and bring them to light for others to read or consider.

This book is one of Mary Renault's greatest novels. It's scale and epic nature is contrasted with its "all too human" truths about people, lovers, and relationships. I don't know if Alexander would have thought he was in a Poly relationship, between his partner and hi boyfriend, but the novel's exploration of "if" he was puts a lot of history into context to the point, where I am not sure if the events of the story are just theoretical or actual fact based on how things progressed.

I know some readers prefer her book "The Charioteers" as the epitome of her gay fiction novels, but I think this books outdoes that earlier work by astronomical units. It is a time commitment to read it through, but I was completely captivated by Bagoas plight and Alexander's story to the point I forgot to sleep reading this book and had to keep going with it until a late Sunday.afternoon, then slept for 16 hours to make up for it. That's how you know a book it truly "Great"

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Headstall said:

Thanks for this, WL. I read this many, many years ago(close to fifty), and remember being enthralled. I love history, and it turned out to be my 'major' by the time I finished my five year Arts and Science program in high school. Honestly, I wanted to read it for the historical content, and ended up quite surprised at the central focus of the book. I remember being quite taken with it... it was an excellent book. 

It's been so long, I think it's time to read it again. I recently read "The Song of Achilles" by Madeline Miller, and thoroughly enjoyed revisiting history. something I'd gotten away from. Cheers! Gary.

I was completely captivated by this book, too. I couldn't sleep until I finished it. Bagoas is such a sympathetic character and Alexander is so bigger than life that it feels perfect.

I also loved seeing the interaction between all 3 of them: Bagoas, Hephaestion, and Alexander. There's jealousy, hate, and envy, but in the end, there was respect between them. Love is complicated and relationship aren't always binary, Mary Renault portrayed this aspect better than a lot of modern gay fiction writers trying to capture it.

The history was also fun. I minored in history, but I do know quite a bit about this period having read a lot of Latin and Greek in high school. Alexander's triumphs made men like Julius Caesar and Napoleon despair. He's the 1st cultural icon, 1st LGBT icon, and a lot of what we take for granted today came from his ambitious desire to unite the world.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

For sure I’ll now read this again. I remember the great impact it had when I first read it many years ago.  Bagoas is one of my favorite characters from history. 
 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

A perceptive review of a complicated masterpiece by one of my favorite authors. I would also recommend a slimmer volume called "The Last of the Wine" also by Ms Renault. It is a male romance in Greece before Alexander. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
18 hours ago, George Richard said:

For sure I’ll now read this again. I remember the great impact it had when I first read it many years ago.  Bagoas is one of my favorite characters from history. 
 

Glad I got you inspired to re-read it again :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Connor Lee said:

A perceptive review of a complicated masterpiece by one of my favorite authors. I would also recommend a slimmer volume called "The Last of the Wine" also by Ms Renault. It is a male romance in Greece before Alexander. 

She had a lot of great stories under her pen :)

One thing I didn't note, few writers get right about the Greek world, but Mary Renault did, was that in many ways the ancient Greeks were insular in their thought processes, despite being the home of philosophy, drama, and political thought. People place the Greeks on a pedestal, but in reality, they were human and their philosophies were deeply flawed in concept, including the very basis of democracy. Mary Renault does a great subversive critique of democracy in her book regarding how easily swayed people can be by certain voices, she undermines Plato-Aristotle's ideal of popular wisdom. However, she doesn't replace it. Since Alexander was no better as an autocrat, especially with his ill-advised crossing of the desert killing many of his soldiers on his way back from India. People can be riled into bad actions and leaders can make fatal mistakes, it's a multi-faceted story due to these aspects. That helps make history come alive

Edited by W_L
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/12/2021 at 6:50 PM, Headstall said:

Thanks for this, WL. I read this many, many years ago(close to fifty), and remember being enthralled. I love history, and it turned out to be my 'major' by the time I finished my five year Arts and Science program in high school. Honestly, I wanted to read it for the historical content, and ended up quite surprised at the central focus of the book. I remember being quite taken with it... it was an excellent book. 

It's been so long, I think it's time to read it again. I recently read "The Song of Achilles" by Madeline Miller, and thoroughly enjoyed revisiting history. something I'd gotten away from. Cheers! Gary.

I really loved The Song of Achilles! It was so beautifully written!

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Laura S. Fox said:

I really loved The Song of Achilles! It was so beautifully written!

It really was, and the tragic end was actually satisfying in an unexpected way. She is a wonderful writer. :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..