Jump to content
    W_L
  • Author
  • 1,138 Words
  • 1,375 Views
  • 7 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

WL's Mainstream Gay Book Reviews - 5. Galaxies and Oceans by N.R. Walker

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40627465-galaxies-and-oceans

A romance novel that warms the heart and provides loads of emotions between two very different characters crossing paths by chance, must be N.R Walker. Australia wasn’t my idea of a romantic locale until I began reading her novels, while I appreciate dunes and kangaroos, it just never had that scenic quality that you would find in novels about Paris’ Eiffel Tower, London or Los Angeles’ club scene, New York’s bigger than life drama, or the subdued charm of rural America. I read this story back in 2019 during the Australian Wildfires, so my imagination caught fire with the story itself.

The Storyline: Ethan, who later went by Aubrey, was the partner of Anton, a very powerful openly gay Australian politician. However, unbeknownst to everyone, he was abused constantly to his partner, mentally and physically. Ethan became nothing more than a prop for him, a highly paid trophy to be used to garner political points. During a wildfire outbreak in the woods, he chose to fake his own death and runaway from his life of being a kept boy. The fake death and chaotic wildfire had left very little evidence of Ethan’s survival, but Ethan out of fear had to run far away from his ex-partner’s reach, to the most remote area of Australia.

Personally, I love this premise of the story, Ethan/Aubrey is someone you want to protect and feel awful that he was getting treated like that. The abusive openly gay politician was also refreshing change of pace; outside conservative narratives, very few authors in the genre portray gay characters as being abusive or evil. However, being gay doesn’t make us saints, it just means we are sexually attracted to members of our gender identity. Despite this being set in Australia, it can easily work as a premise in any country with openly gay politicians and same sex spouses. Some people believe equality as a right to property, influence, or marriage bonds, but I think equality means that we should be treated based on our actions without bias towards one another. Sometimes a gay villain is needed to remind folks, we’re human just like you.

Ethan/Aubrey ran off to a secluded island town of Hadley Cove, where he lives under very harsh conditions, until a series of event lead him to meet the other main character Patrick, the lighthouse keeper and resident do-guider. Patrick has his own backstory, he had lost his boyfriend four years prior to the story, so he’s dealing with a lot of pain and loneliness as a result. The relationship evolves over a slow pace, but there’s always a constant air of tension with Collin, a local cop, digging into Aubrey’s past. Collin is overprotective of his friend and his town, but he is not malicious or a villain by any means. The story peaks, when men hired by Anton to find and secure Ethan/Aubrey appear in town, but overall, the story was a very slow burn leading up to those events.

Patrick is a fascinating character, he’s a lighthouse keeper, who appreciates the steadiness of the Ocean, but is haunted by it for his lost lover Scott. I find his tragic backstory very provocative and his psychological anguish over being the lighthouse keeper to be a very nice touch. Readers, who enjoy subtlety of psychology on character development will find Patrick to be a great case study in how gay character deals with loss.

I enjoyed the story and romance elements, but I must admit that I couldn’t accept Ethan/Aubrey’s reluctance in confiding with Patrick. He could have gone to the police immediately with his abuse allegations, he could have confided in his lover, or he could have done so much more as a modern human being. There was also another trope that dragged a bit, Collin’s investigation of Aubrey was always going to blow up in everyone’s faces.

The “mysterious damsel in distress” trope is classic amongst mystery and romance novels with characters showing up in some remote town seeking to start new lives and hide from their past. The investigator, Collin in this case, who uncovers the truth with dangerous consequences is another old trope from Pulp Romance classics and noir films. I understand the concept, but there is a line to be drawn between executing old tropes and sacrificing believable characters. This is not the 20th century in either information knowledge or mindsets. It felt off to have a modern character like Ethan being written as a throwback “damsel” to an earlier genre within fiction, along with Collin being written as a noir era investigator who doesn’t know when to evaluate privacy. Yes, a rural setting and a stripped-down locale without modern amenities may afford some suspension of disbelief, but the problem here was the character should not be thrown back with the setting. Walker is a good gay fiction and gay romance author, she knows how to handle love stories very well and slowly acclimate her characters for a powerful payoff, but I just feel like her handling of Ethan and Collin were a bit off.

Beyond that though, I like the slow burn and the steady relationship between Ethan/Aubrey and Patrick. The rest of the supporting characters were fine and allowed for a decent story to develop.

My Rating: 4 out of 5, it’s a good story, a perfect examinations of human grief and imperfect in character tropes. Be wary of using 20th century tropes in 21st century stories, while older readers may not mind it, younger readers will notice something is off and unless they have seen or read a lot of 20th century media, won’t be able to understand why these characters are so stilted. My issue with these old tropes are minor and probably personal stylistic views, if readers enjoy these classic tropes, I won’t discount it either.

-----------------

I will post 5 new reviews starting Monday-Friday 7/12-7/16, next week, then probably set myself to a once per week schedule unless I am reviewing a full series. I've read about 201 gay fiction books according to my audible library count, which is growing every day. In the past I read large print, then kindle, before switching to Audible.

I am not an expert in writing, most of you can see my amateur attempts, nor am I saying I've read the most books, there are many who probably outclass me in terms of the books they read. I just like sharing opinions on books and stories, you guys can too and should publish your own thoughts about gay fiction. We're a gay writer and reader community, it's about time we talk about the medium and the vast collection of gay fiction books that are published mainstream. I hope others will enjoy these book reviews from an amateur writer.

Copyright © 2021 W_L; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

2 hours ago, Mrsgnomie said:

You know I heart this. Love me NR walker. That’s all I gotta say!

Any other authors you want me to review, I do take requests and as you can probably tell, I am an avid reader.

I'll probably review another big name gay fiction title next week along with several minor authors.

 

Link to comment
20 minutes ago, W_L said:

Any other authors you want me to review, I do take requests and as you can probably tell, I am an avid reader.

I'll probably review another big name gay fiction title next week along with several minor authors.

 

Tal Bauer has some good stuff. He’s more suspense/murder genre. 
 

MJ Roberts: Not a Date.

Taylor Fitzpatrick: Thrown off the Ice

Rachel Reid: Heated Rivalry

Edited by Mrsgnomie
  • Like 1
Link to comment

This one is also on my list to read.

Here are some others you might like to review:

Alan Hollinghurst: The Folding Star and/or The Line of Beauty

Patrick Gale: Take Nothing With You

Matt Cain: The Secret Life of Albert Entwhistle

  • Like 1
Link to comment
50 minutes ago, Mrsgnomie said:

Tal Bauer has some good stuff. He’s more suspense/murder genre. 
 

MJ Roberts: Not a Date.

Taylor Fitzpatrick: Thrown off the Ice

Rachel Reid: Heated Rivalry

I was planning on Reviewing Tal Bauer's Executive Office Series after the Summer :o He's what I imagine @C Jameswould be like as a mainstream author (high praise indeed, considering he's one of GA best authors :) ). He's also a brilliant gay world-ending adventure political thriller writer too

Thanks for the suggestions I'm going to see if they are available on Audible, if not Kindle is my other choice, but will take a bit longer for me to read.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, Mawgrim said:

This one is also on my list to read.

Here are some others you might like to review:

Alan Hollinghurst: The Folding Star and/or The Line of Beauty

Patrick Gale: Take Nothing With You

Matt Cain: The Secret Life of Albert Entwhistle

Alan Hollinghurst may be an interesting option for 20th century historical gay fiction, some of these his stories are interesting.

Patrick Gale has one book on my wish list (doubling as my future reading list), A Place Called Winter, I do have an interest in the Canadian wilds ever since I was a kid and read the Hatchet series and the story is reminscent of Maurice, based on the summary, so I was intrigued.

Never heard of Matt Cain, but will investigate

Thanks

  • Like 1
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, W_L said:

Patrick Gale has one book on my wish list (doubling as my future reading list), A Place Called Winter

We read it in my book group a few years ago. Very poignant and exceedingly well researched.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..