Jump to content
    W_L
  • Author
  • 1,475 Words
  • 234 Views
  • 0 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

WL's Mainstream Gay Book Reviews - 74. So This Is Ever After by F.T Lukens (Gay Fantasy/Romance/Adventure)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/55545191-so-this-is-ever-after

I thought I would shift gears and begin reviewing some medieval gay fantasy stories, starting with this new book by F.T Lukens. Published in March 2022, the book is centered on the tropes of the Arthurian-fantasy genre that many readers, and several GA writers, have probably played with at one point or another. F.T Lukens is playing with a lot of the tropes and satirizing them based on real-world issues that the heroes would deal with after defeating “the bad guy”, which is quite humorous and introspective. Some readers have called this a Merlin fanfic, which as a viewer of the BBC tv series too, I can agree with that assessment based on the interactions between the well-meaning and naïve young king with his close sorcerer partner. Not to mention the obvious things like their names start with “A” and “M”, to mirror Arthur and Merlin. Sometimes this story gets incredibly frustrating, because of certain gay/queer romance tropes that F.T Lukens engages in. I’ll offer you my opinion of the story.

Length: 352 pages and 9 hours 33 minutes on audible, I recommend giving this book a full week to slowly go through. The story does have several subplots that are related to the overall story involving the main character and his issues, which sometimes bogs down the plot. Patience is needed from readers in general.

Plot: Arek is the 17-year-old teen chosen one, who according to a prophecy scroll would overthrow the evil tyrant usurper king of their kingdom. He was accompanied by a band of companions, including his childhood friend Matt, who has slowly learned to harness his innate magical abilities to become his mage and chief adviser. The tale begins at the beginning of a traditional fantasy story, the heroes have just defeated the tyrant, Arek chopped off the head of the evil tyrant, but no one knows what to do next. Arek puts on the crown out of a dare, accidentally becoming king in the process until he hopefully could free the true heir, a princess who held the tower, and get back to a normal life. However, things don’t go as planned, when his group discovers the princess had died long ago and there’s a curse on Arek, who must marry someone within a fixed period or else, he will die. Attempting to find a spouse for himself, Arek at first attempts to match himself up with each of his companions. While Arek is pansexual by nature and could choose between his male, female, and non-binary companions, he wants to find someone whom he can enjoy being with. His first choice and true love, Matt, appears to be aloof and uninterested in him. However, due to bad communication on both of their part, Matt has been secretly in love with Arek for years but fears ruining their friendship. So, what ensues is a series of fantasy romantic comedy plots, where Arek attempts to pair himself up with his friends, while slowly figuring out his best friend and he mutually loves each other.

Review: F.T Lukens is an LGBT author with the preferred pronouns of they/their/them, so I assume they are non-binary or gender fluid. It’s interesting to read fantasy from a unique perspective without traditional tropes and gender roles, so I honestly couldn’t guess what was coming next from the interpersonal drama.

The characters range from a traditional strong fantasy male knight like Rion, a female lesbian warrior like Sionna, an elvish rogue and thief like Lila, and a girlish bisexual bard like Bethany. They all provide decent background support and add to the overall narrative progression, emphasizing aspects of what makes them good friends, but not good lovers for Arek. These are all teenage heroes of course, so there’s plenty of angst and issues, but nothing too maudlin that distracts from the story. The tropes of what comes next keeps popping up, from back-taxes to fair wages for servants in the castle, the heroes must deal with adult issues that they aren't equipped for. It's weird to read a fantasy story that is set after the victory over evil, because the "happily ever after" isn't assumed at all through the novel, it took a lot of work to achieve. I can appreciate that being a satire against fantasy in general, creating a great journey but failing on the conclusion.

Now, here’s my issue with the novel in general, the romance sucks. I am sorry to say this because I wanted to love the story for the romance and I applaud the interesting characters and concept that F.T Lukens came up with, but they had created a horrible situation between Arek and Matt. At the heart of it, I think the problem comes with the same issue that existed in the Merlin TV series readers compare this novel to and found enjoyment in. The same plot hole, about how Arthur can be so naïve in that show while being so capable, exists with how Arek is so naïve about how Matt feels for him and how contrived some of the things that he does is in retrospect or plots align to keep the truth from one another. It was something viewers could suspend their disbelief for several seasons/series, but a 9 hour book is not a TV show, especially without the visual distractions to hide such character/plot shortcomings. All the near misses and the stuff regarding how their friends knew Arek was in love with Matt and Matt was in love with Arek felt shallow. If they knew what was going on, just tell the two idiots what they are to each other and let the situation resolve without having to resort to so many convoluted plots with Arek having to woo each of them.

In a fantasy novel, you can suspend your belief only so far before you are wading into the impossible territory. Finally, the nail in the coffin of their romance may be the final wedding scene, where F.T Lukens pulls The Graduate scene trope (It was grand and romantic for Dustin Hoffman, but it’s been done to death now), we have seen this many times before, a would-be lover come in the middle of a wedding ceremony to prevent his true love from marrying someone they don’t love. Matt did not have to run off, especially after learning the truth about Arek as they shared the same feelings for each other. It added unneeded tension to the story and just felt tacked on for no better reason that to be there.

Arek and Matt though as characters were fine, if you enjoyed Arthur and Merlin’s characters in the BBC show, you will enjoy these two. Plus, F.T Lukens adds much-needed self-awareness in this story about the issues of prophecy and PTSD of facing down impossible odds against tyrants. Yes, Arek is haunted by a lot that happened in the last year of their fantasy journey, stuff we’re only shown glimpses of. He’s a complex and fun pansexual character, who is just open-minded about his interests. There’s also the fun fact that “the chosen one” moniker isn’t even unique to him alone. It’s implied by the old wizard that many young teens are being sent out in the world to their death to face evil tyrants, most of them failing. Arek knows he’s lucky to have his friends, especially Matt his best friend and crush, and it’s another reason why he is afraid to rock the boat, too much. However, there’s a critical flaw in the characterization, Arek is so focused on doing what is right for others from his standpoint, he’s ultimately being portrayed as being extremely selfish and self-absorbed as a result. I know that’s not F.T Lukens’s intent, but Arek does everything in his power to make others like him and do right by them as “he sees fit”. Selflessness is not about doing good for others due to how you think it is best for others, it should be based on doing what is right as others wish even if it is not good or best for them.

Representation-wise, it’s one of the first fantasy stories I have read in mainstream fiction from a popular author that features main characters from the entire LGBTQ community. I applaud F.T Lukens for this accomplishment and I thought their supporting characters were good. I just wish that the main couple and main character, Arek, could have been better executed.

Rating: 3.25 out of 5, I don’t hate the story or the unique concept behind the plot. It’s refreshing and funny at times to satirize the fantasy genre, but as a standalone romance, it falls completely flat. This is a novel meant for fans of the fantasy genre, who enjoy having it satirize, but romance readers must be ready for slow-burn heartburn here.

Copyright © 2021 W_L; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..