Jump to content
    Wicked Witch
  • Author
  • 1,077 Words
  • 2,103 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Genie in the Flames - 1. Chapter 1

The flames flickered reds and oranges, casting a warm glow across the hearth and the old, overstuffed armchairs. The colours of the room were muted beneath the hazy light. A boy stared into the flames intently, headless of the heat warming his porcelain face.

“I wished upon a star last night.” He mumbled to himself, sitting down on the mat in his pajamas. “I wished I had someone to talk to, about, you know . . . things.” The boy’s blue eyes glistened; he told himself that it was just the heat stinging his retinas. He remembered a sharp voice. ‘Big boys don’t cry.’

The flames popped and cracked quietly in reply. He smiled sadly. “I like talking to you. You listen to me. But it’d be better if you could talk back, you know? I get lonely.”

The boy pulled a little hunk of cheese from his pocket and stared at it. Eventually, he nibbled at it and then he looked guilty. He put the cheese aside and pushed another stick onto the fire. “Sorry, I forgot to feed you. I know it’s rude to eat in front of people who don’t have food.”

The fire engulfed the stick eagerly.

“I know wishing stars are just . . . .” He sighed and nibbled his cheese. “Well, they’re fake Mama says. Pa said it was ungodly to wish. I should pray instead. I didn’t think God would like my prayer. He doesn’t, you know, like boys like me.”

“Boys like you?”

The boy dropped his cheese, jerking away from the flames. “Who spoke?” His wide eyes tried to peer into the corners of the shadowy room. Had his father discovered him? That voice didn’t sound like him.

“Me. I did.”

The boy’s eyes turned towards the direction of the voice. Flames danced, popped, crackled. Heat and orange light bathed his face. “Who is me?”

“The fire, silly.” The flames twisted into a shape. A person in the flames. A tiny boy like the dolls the rich girls in town pushed in their little prams.

“Are you a . . . genie?” The boy leaned closer, flinching at the heat. The person wasn’t in the flames. He was made of them. Flickering and shimmering. Reminding him of the haze that hung over the road in summer, when things seem just a little bit unreal. Blurry edges making it look as if the wind might blow the world away.

“I am.” The flame boy smiled. “Careful, don’t burn yourself.”

“Do you give wishes? Do I get a wish?” His eyes sparkled. For a moment the heat didn’t matter with this fantastic mystery in front of his eyes.

“Not that type of genie.”

“Oh.” His shoulders slumped. Suddenly the heat did matter and his skin was uncomfortably dry, so he shuffled back.

“I’m Yaidul. Who are you?” The genie twirled in around the flames, smiling brightly. It wasn’t quite like a human smile, when his face flickered and writhed as he did it.

“Jo.”

“Jo is a lovely name. Did I say I’m Yaidul?”

Jo giggled. “You did. You’re awfully forgetful for genie.”

Yaidul’s shoulders rose and fell in a shrug. “Do you know many genies? Maybe we are all forgetful.”

Jo’s face turned thoughtful. He shook his head, shaggy brown hair flopping over his forehead. “I guess I haven’t.”

“Same. I’m so glad we have something in common.”

“How can a genie not have met many genies? Don’t you like, come from genieland or something?”

The flames stilled their movements, standing like icicles dyed orange. Jo wondered if that was how flames thought. Then Yaidul shrugged again. “I don’t know. I don’t remember before you were talking to me.”

“You don’t have a family?”

“I don’t know. Maybe? Do flames have families?”

“Maybe the matches are your father?” Jo pointed to the box sitting on the hearth.

Yaidul turned his flame body towards the box with the drawing of a candle’s flame on it. It looked more like an orange raindrop, he thought. But what was a raindrop? “It doesn’t feel like it. I think you made me. You said you wished for someone to talk to, and here I was.”

“Oh.” Jo closed his mouth. Opened it to speak. Closed it again when he thought better of what he’d wanted to say.

“You didn’t say what you wanted to talk about. I’m here, we should talk.” Yaidul flickered through one of the logs on his fire. “It is boring not talking.”

“Well. Can you keep a secret?”

“Who would believe a fireplace?”

Jo nodded at that good point, and offered Yaidul another stick. The flames engulfed it when he dropped it into the fire. “Well, my Pa says I’m sick.”

Yaidul flickered darker orange. “Oh. Are you going to be okay?”

“I’m not sure I’m really sick though. But maybe Pa is right, and Ma agrees with him too.” He plucked at the hem of his pajama pants, where it flared out around his ankles. A loose thread slowly came undone between his fingers. “I like boys.”

“Why does that make you sick?”

“Well, I mean. Like, not like boys as friends. Well that too. But you know. I want to . . . when I grow up I . . . .” He leaned closer to Yaidul and whispered. “Fall in love with another boy.”

Yaidul turned a pale yellow as he burned on the stick. “I’m confused, Jo. Why does that make you sick?”

“It isn’t normal, and it is a sin.”

“But you can’t help it. Do you think I’m sick because I’m made of flames?”

“No. You’re just . . . you.”

“But normal boys aren’t made of flames.”

Jo’s fingers stopped pulling on the thread, his face frozen. He blinked slowly. “I . . . .” He wet his lips and smiled. “That makes sense Yaidul.” Jo wanted to hug his new friend but he was flames so that wouldn’t work. So he added another stick. Stifling a yawn with his hand.

“You should sleep, Jo. You’re tired.”

“I know.” Jo stood up slowly. “But I’m happy. Thank you Yaidul.”

“I’m glad.”

Jo paused by the door of lounge room and looked back at the orange glow. “Yaidul? You’ll be here tomorrow, right?”

Yaidul was indistinct in the flames, but Jo saw he smiled. “I’ll be here as long as you need a friend to talk to, Jo.”

 

 

Copyright © 2017 Wicked Witch; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Well at least Jo has someone he can talk to who won't judge him.  Hopefully it will be enough until he's old enough to leave home.  Interesting take on the prompt. :) 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Very good. Many people say they see things in flames - don't remember anyone recounting a conversation ... ;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Someone, somewhere, obviously thought Jo deserved someone to talk to. :)  His need called his fire friend forth.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Well at least Jo has someone he can talk to who won't judge him.  Hopefully it will be enough until he's old enough to leave home.  Interesting take on the prompt. :) 

 

Thanks Valkyrie. I've had some thoughts on a longer story that follows Jo into adulthood but I know my commitment is so awful I'd never finish it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, northie said:

Very good. Many people say they see things in flames - don't remember anyone recounting a conversation ... ;)

 

Glad you enjoyed. :)

4 hours ago, Dolores Esteban said:

Great story. Thank you.

 

Thank you.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I always thought fire has some sort of 'alive' feeling. It seems in time of need it sometimes even talks. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

A friend, real or imaginary, is something we all need. Just to speak those words aloud that we hardly dare to say aloud... 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I liked this story... I particularly liked the constant movement of the flame as he talked with Jo. Kept the fire alive. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Nice. Well imagined and different. I liked Yaidul's innocent and simple logic, would there were more like him in all things. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 31/07/2017 at 4:10 PM, Dodger said:

I like this story. You did well to bring that hungry fire to life.

 

On 31/07/2017 at 5:17 PM, aditus said:

I always thought fire has some sort of 'alive' feeling. It seems in time of need it sometimes even talks. 

 

On 31/07/2017 at 6:01 PM, Puppilull said:

A friend, real or imaginary, is something we all need. Just to speak those words aloud that we hardly dare to say aloud... 

 

On 01/08/2017 at 10:25 PM, Caz Pedroso said:

Sad, Sweet, and Hopeful all rolled into one short story. 

 

:hug:

 

 

On 02/08/2017 at 9:35 PM, Defiance19 said:

I liked this story... I particularly liked the constant movement of the flame as he talked with Jo. Kept the fire alive. 

 

On 29/11/2017 at 10:19 PM, Mikiesboy said:

Nice. Well imagined and different. I liked Yaidul's innocent and simple logic, would there were more like him in all things. 

 

Thank you so much all! <3 It means a ton to me that you liked it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..