Jump to content
    Wolffang
  • Author
  • 784 Words
  • 1,295 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Clovers End - 13. Collapse

Alex P.O.V

Before I'm able to protest, I'm rushed out by Rachel, who seems adamant in her attempt to get me as far away from the situation as possible. I never thought anyone could move that fast. Somewhere between being dragged across the ground and trying to catch my breath, I notice someone is missing.

“Rachel wait!” I yell. She seems to hear me but she has the look about her, fierce but startled, like a deer caught in headlights. I wonder what she's so afraid off.

“Rachel wait!!” I yell again. This time with more authority. My voice rings out, startling a few creatures. I wrench myself from her grasp. She slows down to jog, stops and faces me. A mixture of concern and determination is engorged within her features.

The moon hangs heavy, like a silvery obelisk, pregnant and full. It starkly contrasts against the smooth blueish-purple ombre, interwoven with vividly packed celestial bodies. Streaks of pale light cast downwards, radiating an intense phosphorescence on the meadow incased by rough shrubbery of which we stand. The pillowy grass holds little ankle-high flowers of interchanging shades of snowy white and mellowed lilac. It dances about in the free-flowing breeze which carries with it, a trail of snowflake-like dandelions seeds. Had the situation not been so dire, it might have been beautiful, serene even. An interesting contrast to the chaos caused distortion taking rest within my aunt's emphatic features.

“What is it Kid? Now's not exactly the time to dawdle.“ she says as a glowing insect flutters by, illuminating the creases setting in her forehead.

“Where's James?” I ask frantically. She curses, looking around frantically.

“Right here.“ he breathes heavily as he shoots out of the incandescent green to Ron devout with us. Beads of sweat form random patterns along his forehead, drenching his mousy brown hair in salty perspiration. His skin shimmering in the limelight.

“Are you alright?” he asks looking me over. He places his hand on my shoulder, watching me intently. I place my hand on his, guiding it to my cheek where it's course texture gently cups it. I smile at his silly expression, reassuringly connecting our gaze.

“James calm down. Look at me I'm fine.” I say coolly “Are you?”

He nods slowly. For a moment it feels like the world is melting away. His concern ignites a warm feeling within me that slowly creeps through me, filling me with a tingly sensation. His face is just inches from mine. For a while, it feels as though the distance between us gradually closes and yet for some reason I become uncomfortably aware of the intimacy of the situation. I pull away, making sure he doesn't see the redness that resides within my cheeks.

“I'm alright too. Just in case anyone was wondering.“ says Rachel, somewhat amused by the scene before her. I awkwardly run my hands through my hair.

“Wait a minute!" I exclaim.

"What about Mama Rosario? Will she be alright on her own? Should we go back?” Before anyone can respond, a rich purple beam spirals upwards from the mountain. It’s so brilliant it encapsulates the whole area in blinding light. Just as quickly as it happened, dispersing almost instantly. We holds our breaths, watch in anticipation, unsure of what would happen next.

The ground shakes violently followed by an ensemble of loud groans. The mountain seems to disappear behind the tree line, settling with a loud bang, potent enough to feel the reverberations pass through the earth. A cloud of dust rushes through the trees. The world goes deathly silent. In the distance a horn bellows.

“Shit. That's the Clovers.” Rachel exclaims ”We have to go now!”

“Alex” James calls. I can’t really hear anything at this point but I can make out the sound of their voices. I feel woozy. For some reason it feels like the pit in my stomach has dropped. My head begins to throb, only slightly at first, then it begins, an intense searing that blinds me. I drop to my knees. Maybe if I give in to the pain, it’ll go away. I clutch my head in an attempt to sooth it but to no avail. Tears drip down my face and my voice comes out in an uncontrollable screech. My mind feels as though it is being overridden. Moments that I didn't know were mine come flooding back to me in waves, thrashing me against the shore of realization. It becomes too much to handle. It hurts. My whole body wrenches with agony but the pain doesn't stop. It continues to attack, strong then tenuous. I feel my consciousness slipping away as I'm engulfed by deafening blackness.

Copyright © 2022 Wolffang; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..