Jump to content
    Wolffang
  • Author
  • 1,908 Words
  • 1,596 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Clovers End - 15. Unwelcome

Clovers make use of temporal distortion. In the future, some chapters may be harking back to earlier events when Alex was younger or before he was born. It may also feature alternate narrators. The book is currently a work in progress and chapters may be subject to change. I hope you enjoy.
❤️ Fang

James P.O.V

Snow begins to trickle lightly, fluttering like frozen butterflies, freshly emerged from their looming grey cocoons. They eagerly search for sleet strewn ground. Those that find none to perch upon dissipate becoming one with the cool earth and those that do clasp dearly, hoping not to join their fallen brethren. The woman in her archaic attire pulls down the hood of her dress to bring her face into full perspective.

"Elder Nephritis.” I state, noting the familiar features in her sunken face as she nods her head slowly in response. She smiles, enunciating the gentle creases under her tired eyes.

"Rachel and James. It's been a long time since you've been to the village. The other elders felt you had abandoned your duties, but I assured them otherwise. I pray to the Goddess that you won't make me regret my stance." she watches us attentively, noting the changes since our last encounter. Her gaze is intense. Having been the most senior of the elders it holds a vast expanse of knowledge. Nobody would dispute that. At her age, she would have seen a great many things. She carries this demeanor in her confident posture and a look that pierces the soul.

"I'm sorry Elder. Things got a little complicated." I mutter, avoiding her knowledgeable eyes, stepping aside so she may have a full view of Alex.

"I see." she says lightly sniffing the air. Her eyes twinkle with a familiarity reminiscent of my own when I had first encountered his scent.

"You've brought Diana back. I'm relieved." she exhales as though a weight has been lifted off her chest.

"Not exactly" Rachel chimes in, pulling a face that is somewhat between a laugh and concern "This is her son, my nephew and his mate".

"What about Diana?" the Elder asks frantically, clutching her chest. Her eyes dart about in a confused manner. She seems to be struggling to comprehend the situation. She searches for some form of a discrepancy to determine if the sincerity with which we had spoken is true.

"Mamma Rosario sent us. It's a long story.” I say, scratching the back of my head. She pauses. Hearing her name must have incited a wave of relaxation.

"Very well. It seems we have much to discuss." she says with slight hesitation "Please come inside. I'll allow you to lay him down in the guest bedroom."

"Thank you Elder." I say bowing my head respectfully.

"Boy. You need not address me with such formalities. I practically raised you." she asserts with a hint of annoyance.

"More importantly, It's too soon to thank me just yet. The council of elders will convene here shortly to discuss what shall happen henceforth. It is imperative that you tell me absolutely everything. Do you understand?"

"I do." I affirm.

"Good," she whispers

“Now go get him comfortable."

"Rachel please accompany me to the living room" she gestures.

I set him down as gently as possible pulling up the duvet to his chin. He stirs but shows no sign of waking.

"James" he groans, rolling over on his side. My heart flutters with a sense of fulfillment. I wonder what's going on in his pretty head. I brush the loose strands of hair away from his face and lean in close.

"Don't worry Alex. I promise to protect you no matter what." I say as low as possible, making sure to reassuringly squeeze his hand before joining the others.

"Ah James. It's good that you could join us. Rachel filled me in on most of it." she knots her eyebrows in disbelief as she faces a mantel, below which an angry fire crackles in the hearth.

“So he's really Diana's child?"

"Yeah. He looks like her, has her scent and necklace. It's irrefutable.” I mutter.

"Are you sure James. After all, he is male and all the Goddesses descendants are female." she questions.

"I know. Elder Rosario voiced those very same concerns. It's never happened before." I explain.

"It's peculiar indeed. Perhaps it has to do with the fact he wasn't born of true wolf blood, that of both the Goddess and the anointed guardian. Although... speaking of Rosy... Where is she? Why isn't she with you?"

"Unfortunately she... well she might have but" I struggle to get the words out knowing they were close, I'm not entirely sure how to break it to her. A pained expression flashes across her face but dissipates instantly. Is this what it means to be an elder. I wonder how many times she's had to sacrifice her own needs for others.

"Does it bother you that you may be mated to a male?" Nephritis asks curiously, attempting to divert the conversation.

"Why would you say such a thing. Not at all. A mate is someone you are meant to be with. It's about love, connection and commitment. Sex and gender have nothing to do with it and besides, I love him." I say earnestly. She rests her elbows on the table, interlocking her fingers.

"I see. I assume the connection has set in?" Elder Nephritis concludes.

"I presume so. I have this strong urge to be be with him, to love him, protect him, be what-ever he needs me to be. These emotions... it's just like before. It's eerily familiar. Of this I am sure. Only this time I fear it is far stronger." I mumble.

"I'm happy for you." she smiles at me, gently caressing the side of my face. For a second that expression resembles that of my late mother or at least what I remember it to look like. There's a rapping at the door that disrupts the moment. It creaks opens and in walks a gaunt looking man and stern faced woman.

"It's good to see you again James." the woman states "I'm glad you're doing well."

"As am I, Elder." I say half as sincerely. She isn't well reputed in the community and governs with an iron fist, often resorting to draconian methods to maintain her position.

"I hope you don't mind. We listened in before making our presence known." the man admits. On the other hand he is far more maternal in nature and is often viewed as the pack's grandfather.

"Not at all Izakeal", responds Nephritis.

"Now back to the important matters." the stern woman remarks "Not only did our scouts find out that the clovers have found their way into the area but now I learn the next descendant is male?"

"He is and what of it?" I retort.

"Now Kara, there's no need to be so petulant." Izakeal reprimands "I trust you see our predicament, Alpha?"

"Not entirely." I remark. Kara begins to look visibly agitated. It feels as though she is exuding a condescending aura.

" Intel had informed me that the Clovers movements had become more active. Do you know why Alpha?" she asks rhetorically. I shake my head.

" There is a definite correlation between Alex's arrival and the Clover's activity. Logic dictates that have to be interested in him and that endangers our people. We are not strong enough to fend them all off by ourselves. Our only line of defense would be the minimal guards, you, her and him." Kara bellows angrily.

"What Elder Kara is trying to allude to, is that we stand a greater chance if you perform the mating ritual. If it hasn't already happened it will force the manifestation of his abilities. He is the first male descendant after all. This has never happened before in our history. There is no absolute guarantee when, if or even how his abilities will manifest. She fears that his coming into being may have ended the Goddesses line entirely. This means we may be fighting a totally unnecessary battle." he elaborates. I open my mouth to speak but I shut it abruptly when I hear a small voice behind.

"Did I hear that correctly?" Alex says weakly as he emerges from around the corner. He looks pale and he's barely able to stand on his own two feet.

"Please don't tell me my grandmother sacrificed herself in vain." Alex croaks, clutching the adjacent wall for support. His face is wet from the stream of tears, flowing down the sides of his cheeks.

"She very well could have. Serves her just as well. That witch didn't belong in our community. The only reason she was indoctrinated as an elder was because her son got Diana pregnant with you." Kara glares at him.

"That's enough!" Nephritis commands "Get out of my house, now!!!" she breathes heavily trying to regain her composure. Her face is flushed. Kara storms out of the room, slamming the door behind her.

"I'm sorry about her behavior Nephritis. She, more than anyone regrets what happened. She blames herself. I'm sure she has her reasons." Izakeal apologizes as he gingerly gets up to leave.

"That's alright Izak. We'll discuss this tomorrow morning.” she says calmly.

"No problem. Have a good night." he smiles reassuringly, patting her shoulder.

"You too” he says as he closes the door behind him. She begins to silently sob, covering her face with her hands. I reach over and pull her into a comforting hug.

"I'm okay James. I just needed to get that out of me." she pulls away, exhales and wipes her face with the sleeve of her robe.

"Are you alright dear?" Nephritis asks Alex who seems just as distressed.

"She's right. You shouldn't be up." Rachel adds.

"I'm fine." he smiles unconvincingly.

"Bullshit. You're barely able to stand. Let me help you." I exclaim.

"James I'm fine, really." he says.

"Well you're in no shape to be going anywhere. You're all welcome to stay as long as you need." Nephritis suggests.

"Thank you Elder." Rachel and I say in unison.

"It's alright. It'd be nice for the house to be lively again." she smiles sweetly "Well, I'm off. We've got a long day tomorrow, better rest up.".She exits the room. Rachel follows her and passes me a glance. I nod to let her know I've got this. After a short walk down the passage, I lay Alex down on the bed again.

"Pretty eventful day, huh?" I ask sarcastically as I awkwardly sit on the edge.

"I guess you could say that." he half smiles.

"There's something I'd like to discuss with you" I pause "but that can wait till morning. For now try to get some rest. Let me know if you need anything" I get up to leave when he grabs my wrist.

"Wait. Do you think you could stay with me… at least until I fall asleep?" he asks.

"Of course."

"It's a little cold. Do you think you could..." he mummers.

"I… uhmm… sure." I stutter.

"Thank you." he says awkwardly. He averts his eyes, blushing a deep red, as I take off my clothes and transform into my wolf, nuzzling up to him for the night.

"You're fur is so soft. I didn't expect it." He whispers, combing his fingers tentatively through it. I playfully lick his cheek.

"EEW!! You're like an over-sized puppy." he laughs. Did he just call me a puppy?!? I'm sincerely offended. I gently nip at him.

"Okay.I'm sorry." he chuckles. I'm glad he can still laugh after today. I know it'll be tough for him come tomorrow morning. Without another word we drift off to sleep.

Thank you for all the support, reactions and comments. I love reading them. I promise to work harder to give you more immersive content in the future.
❤️ Fang
Copyright © 2022 Wolffang; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..