Jump to content
    Wolffang
  • Author
  • 1,609 Words
  • 1,727 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Clovers End - 4. Into the Woods

James P.O.V

The blistering light outside encompasses the rudimentary tastelessness of the situation. I attempt to console myself by moving to a more discreet location, a dull alleyway not too far from the bakery. I slam my fists in fiery frustration against the terracotta walls. The collision only slightly braising my knuckles, drawing blood, just enough to allow me to covertly paint the rising trepidation with thin short stokes, diminishing the flame with each thoroughly prudent slash across the earthy canvas.

Dammit all. I thought I had put the past behind me. Why can't I seem to keep my emotions in check? I slam my fists in one final flourish before resting my head against the walls cool surface. My arms hang limply at my side. A few crimson droplets splatter to the ground and stop, alight hissing followed by a searing pain forces me to grit my teeth. I glance down at my hands, now fully recovered from the earlier abuse. I definitely think I'm going crazy, even at this moment, the faintness of her scent lingers in the air. Wait a second. I pause briefly. The nostalgic smell comes in waves. It is being cradled by the cool oceanic breeze, gently carrying it through the streets.

This peculiarity. The warmth in my chest, the uneasiness in my step. There's no doubt about it. I have to act fast. If I can smell her so can the others. I'm quick on my feet. I rush around the corner running in the direction of the scent. I weave in out of the congregations of people. Their faces and buildings culminating in a poly-chromatic blur. I come to a steady halt, darting behind a silver lamp post. I peer around it, ensuring it doesn't obscure my view.

I take note of my bearings, realizing I'm positioned just outside The Angels' bakery. A slender but leanly built looking male pushes the glass door open with a wide smile on his face. It is at that moment that I realized the smell originated from him. I furrow my brows in confusion. I'm taken aback, yet if I'm being candid it definitely sparks my interest. I know that if you spend enough time with someone, your scents can mingle or on rare occasions dominate one or the other. Maybe if I tail him. I can find a clue to her whereabouts. He begins walking and I make sure to follow closely. About a kilometre down the road he freezes in his tracks.

"Shit" I sputter. I hope he hasn't spotted me. He takes a few weary steps forwards, gradually developing them into a full-on run. He bolts up the road and without warning, he diverts his path into the woods. I have to admit he's pretty fast for a human. I charge after him. Unfortunately for him, he just happened to trespass in my domain.

I tear off my shirt and pants, roll my shoulders back, inhaling deeply aloud growl erupts from my lips. I crouch down, body contorting with audible cracks, bones re-position itself ensuring quadrupedal mobility. Face elongates to form a snout. I begin to sprout thick glossy fur, the colour of undisturbed snow. I stare down at the mossy floor. I take a few steps forward. I take note of large paws leaving pronounced tracks as I tread across the moist ground. A puddle lays before me, a pair of sharp glowing eyes glare back, belonging to what can only be described as a large wolf.

I continue in hot pursuit, bounding across the threshold. I gallop making sure to stay ahead of him just out of the line of sight in the hopes of cornering him. Slamming into a tree, he looks around disillusioned. I quietly prowl the area watching his every movement. I can tell he's frantic, his breathing is heavier and he looks around expectantly. I could always toy with him before getting what I need. Nothing excites the hunter more than making his prey squirm.

I patiently wait, concealed by the array of various greens and browns. He hugs his knees to his chest, closing his eyes tightly, possibly waiting for me to make a move. Not a very smart human. It's almost as if he's surrendered himself completely. If this is how he wishes it to end, I'd be happy to oblige.

Alex P.O.V

Silence seems warm and inviting, yet I'm apprehensive about letting my guard down. I squeeze my eyes shut, holding myself in a kind of ' brace for impact' manner. I don't want to look up for I know by the raised bumps generously dotting my skin and the sickening feeling developing in my chest that it's not over. I sense a menacing gaze leering at me from somewhere close by. A searing sensation pricking my skin enveloping me in a sea of cool fire. I know this feeling. I can almost sympathize with it. A tumultuous growl brings me back to my senses, causing me to tremble slightly, I feel it quaver through the ground. The only corollary being the insatiable urge to tighten my grip in an futile attempt to draw further into myself, trying to remove myself from the situation. A voice cries out, an absurd amalgamation between human and beast.

"Where is she?!?" it demands, voice thickly laced with baritonus reverberations accompanied by slight tenorous undertones, melding to convey a symphony of distaste. I breath deeply mustering as much courage as I can. I swallow the lump in my throat. I gradually raise my face from arms, staring directly into shrubbery that conceals my assailant.

"I don't know who you're taking about!" I exclaim, confused by the creatures request.

It leaps forward revealing itself in the minimal light. The pale rays of sun cast down illuminating the features of a wolf, yet it seemed to yield the size and caliber of a bear. It moves slowly towards me, every step planned and calculated, taunting me with it's every move. I train my eyes on it trying to figure out it's next course of action. Without warning it pounces, pinning me to the ground. It's face just inches from my own. It lowers itself, inhaling deeply. I can feel it's breath against my skin, hot and heavy. I flinch as it gently nibbles at the nape of my neck. It trails it's tongue across the my decolletage and finally my cheek before pausing at my ear. Waves of heat wafts against me as the creature exhales.

"Don't play coy. Your scent is just like hers." the creature snarls. I tilt my head away, heart in my throat, my voice comes out barely audible.

"What do you want from me?” I whimper.

"Don't play dumb with me!!” it's voice trickles, cacophonous, every word seething with aggression " Diana Lykos, Where is she?!?!?."

It's eyes reflect something ominous. Could it be contempt, sadness or perhaps grief? Upon hearing the name my mind begins to churn. A conundrum, definitely. I repeat it's words, in my head, over and over again till I'm hit with a sudden spell of realization. I'm taken aback. Isn't that my mother's maiden name?

Flabbergasted, I yell back, "How do you know my mother?!?!?".

The wind begins to pick up, howling ferociously, the sky corroding to an intense grey, trees begin to creak, protesting the coming storm. The sky flashes obscene white. In the distance rumbling of thunder can be heard.

"Your mother?!", it asks, expression becoming softer, more humane.

A few droplets of rain threaten, splattering their beautifully skewed spheres against the ground. Manumitting the beguiling earthy aroma from the terra firma. The sky groans, with a loud crack it releases it's heavy load. Rain pelting down from every direction, cold and harsh, making it difficult to see anything clearly. A flash out of the corners of my eye captures my attention. *B o O M!!! *

The sound echoes causing nearby animals to take flight, distinctively different from the roar of thunder. The creature collapses on top of me, it's weight confining me. I struggle to move. I notice a long narrow tube lodged in it's shoulder. I glance back to where I saw the spark. A figure draped in a greenish cloak stands, watching curiously. A weapon of some sort concealed in it's hand. Noticing my gaze the figure lifts a gloved hand to it's lips gesturing for me to hold my tongue before turning on heel, leaving me trapped beneath the behemoth of a wolf.

Struggling, I manage to free myself from the creature. Sated, I get ready to high tail it out of here. I pause, looking down at the beast . Feeling conflicted, my mind tells me I should leave but my heart whispers a plea to help it. I mean, if he knows my Mom, maybe he'll know why they sent me here. I verbally curse. Against my better judgement, I crouch removing the tube, which I promise was no easy feat. The surrounding fur bleeds crimson. It's still incapacitated. I attempt to haul the creature back to my house. Propping it on the couch, I cover it with a blanket and go to the kitchen to grab a few things to dress the wound. I return to find a man, brows furrowed, eyes shut. I can tell he's in pain. I don't know what exactly was in that tube but the least I can do is try and treat the symptoms. By the time I'm done, in lieu of today's event, I find myself giving into exhaustion, eyes fluttering closed, I'm taken by the peaceful abyss of sleep.

Copyright © 2022 Wolffang; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 3
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A young man, a wolf shifter, and a man/hunter (?) In a green cloak meet in a clearing in a woods on a stormy night. Except for the young man it seems planned, and gives us more questions and no answers. Hmmm. Excellent mystery!! I can't wait for more! Thanks. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..