Jump to content
    Wolffang
  • Author
  • 1,606 Words
  • 892 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Clovers End - 6. Reunion

Alex P.O.V

 

A woman bursts through a window to the right sending shards of glass cascading downwards, crystallized rain splatters, shattering into minute droplets. Her dark hair billows, as a light wind whips through it. Clothes besmeared with earthy shades of green and brown, a few leaves sparsely positioned, decorates her hair. She rises in one swift movement. I glance at James, his face contorts in confusion but immediately eases almost in recognition of her.

"Rachel ", he exclaims, "What are you doing here?!?".

Her voice is silvery, it ululates, conveying emotions of concern and relief.

"I was worried. I saw you dash of into the woods. I tried to follow you but the rain masked your scent, making it almost impossible to find you. The pack's been worried, especially after the recent attacks ( she trails off ). I mean look at you. You're all banged up", she says, gently running her fingers across the bandage .

"I'm okay Rach.", he says cutting her off, placing his index finger against her lips. Silence envelops them. The situation becoming more intimate. They stare into to each others eyes for what feels like an eternity.

I muster up the courage. Clearing my throat, I announce, “I’m so sorry to break up your little reunion, but you're kind of in my house and you know my broken window and stuff. Do you think you could maybe do this somewhere else?” I gesture, hands pressed firmly together.

They simultaneously turn to look at me, taking me in as if it was the first time. Honestly, it's like I'm invisible.

"Oh Hey. It's a pleasure to meet you ", I snort sarcastically, crossing my arms. Why am I acting this way? I feel so childish. Is this jealously? No, it couldn't be. I would never behave in such an undignified manner.

Heat rises to my cheeks, twirling outward, painting it a thinned down tone of peach that bore a particular semblance to that of a single pale rose.

Perplextion takes her features. She adjust her stance looping her one arm around his and resting her adjacent hand on his shoulder.

"James who's this?", she questions with a furrow of her eyebrows.

"OH.", he mutters as realisation hits him.

"This is Alex. The scent I was talking about, apparently it belongs to him. It turns out that he's her son. "he says, only briefly making eye contact with me.

"Scent? James I don't smell anything.”, her eyebrows tightly knit together as she whiffs the air.

"But more importantly you said he's Diana's son? ", she looks from James to me.

I nod slowly, unsure of what she intends to do with that information. Her face goes blank almost monotone. She unhooks herself from him and walks over to me, taking my hands in hers. She looks over my features, seemingly noting familiar features, at the same time catching sight of the necklace adorning my chest.

"Where did you get this from?”, she asks impatiently.

"My Parents.”, I explain.

"This necklace is a family heirloom. Everyone inherits one.", she whispers removing hers that displays a similar detailing.

"The one around your neck belonged to my sister, Diana.", she opens her mouth and speaks slowly, "So if you are who you say you are, that means I'm your.."

"Aunt?", I sputter. I look up at her in disbelief . I'm at a loss for words.

She stares directly into my eyes, meeting my gaze. Her eyebrows expressively bounce up and down. Her face morphs into a wide smile exposing an incredibly perfect set of pearly white teeth.

"I have an Aunt”, I chuckle, my face excited confusion. This reality feels hard to actualize.

She nods excitedly ,"I'm your Aunty Rachel”, she whispers wrapping her arms around me, trying to blink away the tears.

"All this time I never knew my Mom had a sister.” I whisper, awkwardly trying to hug her back.

"I never knew my sister had a child", she giggles.

We both break out into laughter, not at the awkwardness of the situation but out of joy of possibly being reunited with family.

I can't help but feel happy. Besides my parents, I never had anyone. It’s just good to not feel so alone anymore.

She smiles proudly releasing me from her grip, " So where is she, what's she doing now? She didn't really try and contact me at all after left."

My chest feels heavy. I don't know if I can do it. I don't know if I can tell her that her sister isn't with us anymore. I open my mouth to try and say something, anything but I simply can't find the words. I abruptly close it, fearing I look like a gaping fish. They both look at me expectantly.

"Well go on.”, she says, there's a hopeful air about them.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but at the same time I feel like they shouldn't be left in the dark. I close my eyes and breathe in and exhale deeply.

"I'm sorry she's ...uhh...My Mom is uhh..", I stutter finding it difficult to articulate.

Her smile disappears. The corners of her lips droop downwards, forming a frown.

"When did she?", she stutters.

"About 14 years ago. When I was 6.", I whisper.

I glance at James, then her then back to James. I can tell from the sombre atmosphere that they're distraught. She squeezes my shoulder reassuringly.

"It's okay ",she mumbles rubbing my back, “We can talk about this later. For now we need to get a hold of the pack and host a meeting with the elders to discuss your arrival. Would you like to join us?".

“If it's not too much trouble.”, I say.

“Not at all. It'll give us time to get to know each other. Plus it would make it easier to explain.", she says, as she smiles sweetly.

James P.O.V

 

"Where are we?", Alex asks his voice breaks me from my torpid reverie.

Rachel is confidently leading as we some what lag behind. Alex is just a few steps ahead of me.

"Not too far from the hide out!", Rachel cries out.

He ungracefully trudges through the greenery. He reminds me of a pup trying to learn how to walk for the first time. I smile, chuckling to myself.

"What's so funny?", he asks.

"Oh nothing", I snort.

"Yeah, that's what I thought.", he retorts before he proceeds to trip over a stray root. I manage to catch him just as he's about to face plant into the earthy sludge.

Our face just inches apart. I can almost taste his breath . He looks at me with a shocked awe.

"We've got to stop meeting like this.", I whisper, grinning down at him. He looks flustered. He pushes himself away, uttering a small thank you but refuses to say another word . He waddles ahead. I notice a limp in his walk. I grab his wrist and pull him into me.

"You're hurt", I say.

"And?", he questions giving me an unimpressed look.

"Let me carry you.", I say, "It's still a good 15-20 min away."

"I'm fine." he says stubbornly.

I lift him up and prop him over my shoulder. He is heavier than expected. He dangles like an angry rag doll, beating his fists against my back.

"James let me go.", he says sternly.

"Why are you doing this?", he stops his onslaught, possibly realising it's futile nature

"Because you're injured.", I state firmly.

"But what about Rachel?", I can make out an underlying tone of sadness in his voice.

"What about her?", I say stopping dead in my tracks . He manages to slide out of my grasp.

He stands before me, a few stray strand of his hair imperceptibly cascade themselves across his face. He sighs, brushing it behind his ear. He gently places a hand on my cheek , guiding me to meet his gaze. He examines me grievously. I note the wisdom, light, wonder and empathetic vigour he has for the world concealed behind his brilliant shades of a concerned chocolate brown.

"Don't you have a thing with her?", he calmly but curiously asks. I try to stifle break my laughter

"So that's what this is about? You think Rachel and I are an item. Let me tell you something Alex. I've only ever loved one woman and that was your Mother. Besides her, I haven't been able to open myself up to anyone else.", I say dryly.

He looks at me, empathetic dejection occupying his visage. His eyebrows crease attentively.

I hesitate, realising myself. I'm apprehensive. Unsure of whether I should continue. I have never spoken so freely, so easily expressing myself, not even in the company of Rachel.

"Don't sweat it kid. I'm better of on my own", I assure him. I reach over to ruffle his hair which is promptly thwarted by him grabbing my hand. Damn his reflexes are sharp. I wince at the sensation.

"I'm not a child James. I haven't been for a long time.", he asserts.

"What do you mean?”, I question.

"You're forgetting that after my parents died, I basically had to raise myself. I haven't been a kid for a long time.”, he says blandly.

"I'm sorry.", I awkwardly stare at the ground, kicking up some fallen leaves.

“It's okay.”, he states, “I'm sorry I snapped. It was uncalled for.”

"Okay ladies, now that you're done bickering we're here.", Rachel says gesturing to a large oblique, elliptical shaped slit, indented in the mountainous wall.

Copyright © 2022 Wolffang; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..