Jump to content
    Wolffang
  • Author
  • 1,062 Words
  • 1,444 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Clovers End - 16. Reflect

Elder Kara P.O.V

How dare he. I've never been so embarrassed in my life. To think that he could just show up out of the blue and command respect from everyone he interacts with. A few tears may have spirited away the others but I am not as easily fooled. The wind picks up. It howls angrily through the trees. The combination of snow and wind obscures my vision. Albeit having to shield my eyes from the frosty onslaught, I find my home with relative ease. There it stands, a logged creation, windows misted and panes dusted with white powder from the changing weather. It seems as desolate and disheartened as I in this current predicament. I waste no more time, slamming the door behind me, severing the connection between myself and the elements. If only they could see it my way, to look beyond that farce persona that emanates Diana's warmth. If only they could see the monster he really is, to understand what chaos he has caused from the moment he was conceived. Of course it can't be just my fault. I gave the poor girl advice in my inexperienced youth. If only I had a second chance. I would do things differently. Maybe she would have come to me instead of Rosario. Maybe I could have swayed her to not go through with the pregnancy. We could have found a way to stop it even though it goes against our customs. I could have protected her. We wouldn't be in the situation. She wouldn't have lost her life because of him. She used to confide in me then. I slide against the back of the door. "Why couldn't she have come to me." I whisper to myself.

"Do you see it." Diana giggles. Her stark black hair bounces as she hastily walks over to a bush.

"Where? I don't see anything." groans Rachel. She stamps her feet and crosses her arms, adorning a scowl on her face.

"Look closer Silly." Diana laughs as she runs to her sister and pulls her over to the bush. They both crouch down inquisitively.

"Hey. What are you guys doing?!?" yells the head alphas' kid as he make his way to them. He catches sight of whatever it is they are looking at." Cool. What is that?" he asks noisily.

"Shhh... James your going to scare it." Rachel scolds.

"Sorry." he says as he reduces the volume of his voice "What is it?"

"It's a butterfly. I think." states Diana.

"Are you sure? I've never seen a butterfly that colour before. It looks weird." comments James.

"We should take it to elder Kara. She'll know what it is." suggests Rachel.

"I will?" I ask as I appear around the tree from which I have been tactfully watching.

"Elder Kara !?!" the kids yell excitedly as they turn to face me. I'm suddenly bombarded with little rapturous arms wrapping around me. The movement startles the creature.

"Oh no... now we'll never know." exclaims the exasperated Rachel.

"It's alright. I did get a somewhat of a good look at it. I don't think Diana was far off. It is a butterfly of sorts. I think it's a pretty close to being one but not really. Encountering one of that colour is symbolic of good future to come. More importantly, shouldn't you all be doing something."

"Like what?" ask James.

"I dunno. Maybe your training." I playfully ruffle his hair "You girls shouldn't be slacking off either. I'm dissapointed in you."

" But Elder, training is so boring. Can't we play for a little bit?" whines James.

"Can't we?" chime the girls.

"Boring? All of you are training to take on prestigious titles within the village. I hardly think that is boring." I contest.

"And as for playing" I look at their hopeful faces... maybe they do deserve a break. " Okay. Fine. As long as you work extra hard tomorrow. Do we have a deal?". They nod their heads.

"Okay. Don't make me regret it." They scurry off.

Things were so simple then. It would't be until years later that I discovered that the leniency that I had raised the girls with would contribute to our predicament today and the person who caused it all... Alex.

"Elder Kara?" calls Diana. At 15 years of age she had become a woman. She had become taller, more statuesque.You could see the features that were distinctive of her blood heritage.

"Yes. How can I help my favorite pupil."

"How do you know if you are in love with someone?" she asks.

"Diana... that's a pretty serious question. Why don't we sit down and talk about it?"

"Well. There's this boy that I've been spending a lot of time with. I think I'm developing feeling for him and I think he feels the same." she stutters.

"Go on." I encourage. Perhaps she is talking about James. There are rumours amongst the village elite that he is to become the next guardian. Unfortunately only the priest will know for sure. However, this is good news. For a guardian and descendant to fall in love before their mated ritual is a blessing. Little did I know, I was wrong. She asked me what she should do. I told her to follow her heart. I never knew that it lay with the witches son.

Shielded by rich foliage and strong protective spell, the witch and her boy lived in a cavernous part of the mountain nearby. Normally, those who practiced the mystique arts would be found in the Forest of Astia. The only crafters who lived outside of the kingdom were part of coverns representing it. It was unusual to have just two of them on their own. There was talk of a great betrayal. I was never one to pry so I let it alone. Besides, they would occasionally come over to help with our sick and wounded when our sister village couldn't. Their medicines and healing abilities were far superior to our own so there was no harm in it. Unfortunately, I had overlooked much. A passing glance, a simple smile. Things too subtle to cause concern changed things so irreparably. I was way too oblivious. The river had begun to flow far before the earth had noticed and somehow I had been suffocated in the trench.

Copyright © 2022 Wolffang; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..