Jump to content
    Wolffang
  • Author
  • 872 Words
  • 1,343 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Clovers End - 14. The Pack

James P.O.V

A fiery purple explodes violently upwards producing an exponentially blinding light, dissipating no sooner than it had obscured my vision. Before I'm able to make sense of what's happening, the mountain folds inwards, covering the area in murky ocean of dust. A familiar sound graces my senses, intimate but not fond, like a wounded creature whining desperately in it's final moments.

“Shit, that's the Clovers.” Rachel exclaims ”We have to go now!”.

My thoughts exactly. I look over at Alex, who seems to be keeled over in pain. He clutches his head as he writhes in agony. Screaming but no words come out.

“Alex!” I yell, not thinking twice as I catch him in my arms. He's unmoving, face flushed, his breaths shallower, rapid even, but at least he's breathing. Rachel places a hand to his forehead and flinches.

“He's burning up!” she exclaims as her hand glows a mellowed green, the light gently engulfs him as she places it to his chest.

“I don't think it's heat-induced or dehydration. I’d like to give him a chance to rest so we can bring down his temperature and see what we're dealing with but time is not at our leisure.“ she says, passing a conflicted glance. I nod at her in agreement.

“Can you carry him?” she asks earnestly.

“I have a better idea,” I state as she observes me intently.

“Well go on,” she says impatiently.

“I'm going to transform and when I do, I want you to hop on and help me get him on my back.”

“But where are going James?” Rachel asks neurotically.

“The Pack.” I state.

“James... are you sure that's the best option? We may only be endangering him further.“ she questions, worry etching it's way into her features.

“Do we have any other choice?” I retort, trying to conceal my own concerns.

“No... James I wouldn't feel comfortable bringing him to that place. Not all of them will willingly accept him.“ her eyebrows tense.

“That's a problem for when we're there. Mama Rosario said we should talk to Elder Nefrìtis. Apparently, she'll be able to help us” I state.

“When did this happen?” she looks up at me with a mixture of concern and curiosity.

“When you were talking to Alex. She pulled me aside and …. I’ll explain when we get there. Are you going to help me or not Rach ?”

“Okay, calm your tits. I'm coming.” she says “I’ve got him, are you ready?”.

“Yeah,” I respond as I slip off my shirt and step out of my jeans. The cold air hits me. I close my eyes, inhaling deeply, I concentrate. Fixating on my intention, my body begins to shift, my bones re-positioning, reshaping themselves with a series of skin-crawling cracks. This continues till I resemble a large wolf-like creature. The process doesn't hurt but it is a tad bit uncomfortable, nothing that is impossible to get used to.

The twilight causes my fur to shimmer a silvery-white. When the discomfort dwindles, I open my eyes and watch them curiously as Rachel cradles Alex. She nods at me and I kneel down, allowing them to get on. She taps my side letting me know they're ready to go.

A few small crystallized droplets flutter down but it's fleeting. I guess winter must be on the way. I huff a sigh, producing a white cloud that swirls peculiarly before dissipating into the open air. The temperature is dropping, we should go.

I start off with a slow trot, increasing to a run and soon I'm bounding across the threshold. The crystal rain mixes with the greenery, rushing past in cacophonous waves. I come to a screeching halt. We’re about to cross the border. As custom dictates, I howl low and harmonious, tilting my head up to the sky letting the border patrol know that I'm here.

Moments later another echoes my call and we wait patiently to be escorted to the camp. Two grayed wolves approach. Seeing my white fur they bow respectfully, noting that it is indicative of my status as an alpha, yet I see the disdain in their eyes. They must know who I carry with me. I apprehensively follow them to the camp where I'm met by more disgusted glances from a myriad of onlookers. I feel a low growl rising in my chest as they watch us intensely.

Rachel leans close to my ear and whispers “Ignore them. You have to keep moving.”

I begrudgingly obey, exhaling in defeat. We arrive at the Elder’s house, where we are greeted with well-aged women, adorned with traditional Lycan attire. She smiles a wearily sweet smile. Her paled complexion mimics that of the freshly fallen sleet. If it wasn’t for those stark green eyes, and colourful dress, she would have disappeared into the environment itself.

I transform back into a human, putting on the jeans that Rachel so graciously packed for me and pick up Alex, bridal style, in his incapacitated state. Looking over his limp body, I'm struck with overbearing guilt. I’ve never seen a creature so vulnerable. I begin to doubt Mamma Rosario’s guidance. I wonder if this is the right decision after all.


 

Copyright © 2022 Wolffang; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..