• Site Administrator

I was looking over the vast majority of my fantasy novels and noticing one annoying common thread.

Ready?

Boy saves world. Boy gets girl.

With a few exceptions (Kirith Kirin by Jim Grimsley, Last Herald-Mage Trilogy, and Brightly Burning from Mercedes Lackey, Nightrunners Series by Lynn Flewellen), this is pretty much the standard theme. Naturally, I select older teens and younger men as my favorite heros when reading, but do you ever get sick and tired of the straight world barging in? I realize that gays are in the minority, but surely there has to be some good gay fantasy stories out there? The two best series of books I've come across have been written by women. and they do a wonderful job of it too.

Kirith Kirin is truly great in that it has a totally unique magic system and an original world. And the hero very much does not end up with some bloody whiny girl.

Marion Zimmer Bradley has a few Darkover novels that have major characters that are gay. Regis Hustuer (sp) for example. He's a teen that bangs plenty of girls, but the love of his life is a guy... and he literally crosses the world for him.

Is there any really good fantasy novels out there where the Prince gets rescued? Not some insipid sex story either. I real epic fantasy where the reader at the very least doesn't have to hear about the characters lust for some girl. How about a story where the main character just isn't interested in anyone like that? (Brightly Burning by Mercedes Lackey)

*steps off soapbox to await responses*

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Assasins/liveship/fool series by Robin Hobb. Although there are no 'couples' persay, it tends to tackle issues about what some of the characters want, and some don't. There's a part where one of the main characters (male) pretends to be chasing after his host's son in order to get chucked out and continue the quest. After that, rumours about him abound, and his companion is none too pleased to be associated with them (Personally I think that they would make a cute couple, I don't think the straight one would be too happy about it.) . Though the character in question's sexuality is never disclosed, nevertheless it is brilliantly and sensitively written. (Hussar.)

Edited by Transient