Realistic Plot Elements

• 2 weeks later...

I had to google Gunny Hartman... don't hold that against me. 

The rest of what you said, if you had a mic I wouldn't be satisfied until that thing hit the floor. I personally hate the term, "you've glamorized it.." it is one of those things that got thrown at everything and unfortunately seemed to stick when it shouldn't have. 

• Like 3

@Krista Full Metal Jacket is a major cult classic in a certain community, and Gunny Hartman is really how they are.

If you've read The Company, the character Gunny Anders is based on Hartman. Marines are some of the most stick-togeather-est people you'll ever meet. It's not uncommon for the officers and noncoms to cluster together after active duty. He actually taught the main character a lot of the same things the recruits got, and TS has employed him to teach semper-fu (Marine Martial Arts) to the kids he collects.

Edited by JamesSavik
  • Like 2

@JamesSavik paints a realistic picture of the seventies, eighties, but has anything changed? Half a century ago kids were admittedly ignorant, but one day those kids got together with someone and it was either a good, bad, or indifferent experience. Today, kids can easily get the picture and interact remotely, but one day these kids get together with someone and it's either a good, bad, or indifferent experience. 

• Like 2

@JamesSavik

When I write history, people either do not know what I am talking about or wish they did not :P 

Some folks imagine the world of the past as pure and innocent with techno-color lenses and Mary Poppin sing-along-songs. Reality is human beings have always been indulging in food, music, drugs, and sex of all varieties for thousands of years. Prostitution isn't one of the oldest professions for nothing, Babylonian and Assyrian laws even outlined how you should be treating your prostitutes and gay lovers. :o 

Full-plot realism may not be something some readers can accept. 

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, JamesSavik said:

Then they had better wear a helmet and get an emotional support squirrel if they read my stuff. I'm going to tag my stuff mature and rock on.

emo-squirell2.jpg

I want my own squirrel now.

Quick! Hide in my beard Mr. McNatty!

Edited by LJCC
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, JamesSavik said:

Then they had better wear a helmet and get an emotional support squirrel if they read my stuff. I'm going to tag it mature and rock on.

emo-squirell2.jpg

:) 

If I wrote history as it was, there would be a lot of technically underage things happening beyond just non-consent sex (that might even be a lesser evil) :o  Give a teenage boy a weapon, an inflated ego, and the belief he's doing God's work on earth or following some fearless leader, you can guess what happens next. Heck, even in modern times, child soldiers around the world are guilty of war crimes for a reason. 

That's an ugly truth that exists in reality, no matter what your belief system, race, or sexuality.

Edited by W_L
  • Like 3

There's a reason I try to keep it real. It's not to shock anybody.

I have a very low tolerance for lies. One of them cost me a normal life.

Nobodies going to get in trouble. You can tell me the truth. I just want to help.

Once you've heard that one, and after what it cost me, you're going to have issues.

Trust issues,

Authority issues.

Rage issues.

If I'd been a different person, I could have been a monster. In fact, I almost did.

The last time I saw the person who told me that egregious lie, it was through a Leopold scope attached to a .308 Browning. I had his eye in my crosshairs, a shot I could have made. The only reason I didn't take the shot was I would have blown his brains all over his youngest son.

There's another lie that we all tell: it gets better. I think it's a hopeful prayer and just as useless.

Make it real: Maybe it gets better.

Not every problem gets solved in thirty minutes or an hour with commercial breaks. Mr. Brady or Ward Clever don't sit down with you and dish out wisdom and fix it. Doesn't matter how good a person you are, you can roll snake eyes. There aren't any promises.

Put on a f*c&ing helmet and have your emotional support squirrel handy for this one. I never got hit as hard on the football field as I did when I would pick up the newspaper, grit my teeth and see another friend or acquaintance in the obituaries during the worst years of the AIDS epidemic. Deus meus, Deus meus, ut quid dereliquisti me?

No one wants to go mad, but holy f*&%, how do you avoid it with that in your head?

Back in 2018, I flew to Seattle to donate stem cells to help my older brother fight his cancer. I did all I could to save him, but he died anyway six months later. I was there for a week in a hostel for people at the cancer clinic. Across the street was a shelter for homeless people. At night there was a woman who would go out in the street and howl with outrage at God knows what. How do I avoid joining her in her howling?

There. I let you have a peek inside my head. I know it's not pretty, but I've got to live with it. There's even a nice clinical term for it: Complex PTSD. It's like having broken glass in your soul. If it's undisturbed, it can just lay there and not hurt for years. Then, given it the right stress, it can come back with a roar. That's where I am now, and yes, I have an appointment with a psychiatrist as soon as I can get one.

Much of my writing started out as therapy because I couldn't talk about it without weeping.  I wasted so much time pretending, running and just overwhelmed by the epidemic and honestly, terrified. I'm tired. I just want the war inside my head to be over and know some peace.

That's my truth. If my writings take you to scary, dangerous places, just remember, that's where I lived for a very long time. There's a fine line between coping and howling at night.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, JamesSavik said:

Much of my writing started out as therapy because I couldn't talk about it without weeping.  I wasted so much time pretending, running and just overwhelmed by the epidemic and honestly, terrified. I'm tired. I just want the war inside my head to be over and know some peace.

hope your doc can help ... keep writing, James

• Like 4