MESSAGE BOARD TOPIC #22

What is it that is so powerful about the written word? What is it in the stories we read and love that touches us so deeply? It's not just a deep expression of the author...it also reaches out to us as readers, and connects in a way that sometimes keeps us from feeling so alone out here in this wilderness known as 'life'.

Is this coincidence? I wonder. This week's question is...

=As an author, do you have any particular 'message' that you would like to convey to everyone reading? And as a reader, do you accept the message being given to you?=

Is there some kind of light that you want to shed on a certain aspect of life, or society, or relationships? Do you write with the distinct intention of maybe sparing someone the pain and mistakes that you have had to live through in the past?

Do you read these things and clearly SEE the message being brught to you? If yes, does that turn you off in the way of reading a story, feeling like you're being brainwashed?

The board is open! Whatever you feel, spill it out! :)

Guest jamieanderson

>What is it that is so powerful about the written word?<

I think that the major part of the

What is it that is so powerful about the written word? What is it in the stories we read and love that touches us so deeply? It's not just a deep expression of the author...it also reaches out to us as readers, and connects in a way that sometimes keeps us from feeling so alone out here in this wilderness known as 'life'.

Is this coincidence? I wonder. This week's question is...

=As an author, do you have any particular 'message' that you would like to convey to everyone reading? And as a reader, do you accept the message being given to you?=

Is there some kind of light that you want to shed on a certain aspect of life, or society, or relationships? Do you write with the distinct intention of maybe sparing someone the pain and mistakes that you have had to live through in the past?

Do you read these things and clearly SEE the message being brught to you? If yes, does that turn you off in the way of reading a story, feeling like you're being brainwashed?

The board is open! Whatever you feel, spill it out! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'll admit, there are a lot of times that I try to put my own feelings about a lot of things in my stories. All of them. I write a variety of different stories so that I get a chance to really examine a lot of different emotions, people, situations, and problems, from a variety of different angles. A lot of these things happened to me in one way or another, and I try to put it in story form and see it through someone else's eyes while I'm writing. It really does give you a subjective view of everything when you look at it from the outside.

However, even though I'm always putting my own point of view on things into what I write, I really try hard to not force it down anyone's throat if I can help it. I try to present it as a glimpse at something people may not have ever considered before. It's not a big flashy bilboard with "MESSAGE" on it in neon. It's more like a free pamphlet left by the door...if you want to pick it up, feel free.

So I express what I feel by displaying how I personally see it, hoping that people will be able to understand me, but it's not like I have any big 'agenda' to send out propaganda. I hope it never seems that way. I'm exploring the feelings just like you guys are when I write, and turning them into stories helps to work things out in my head. It's almost like talking to myself at length, but I try really hard not to rant.

Am I turned off by big messages in stories? Yeah...sometimes I am. If they're forced or pushed too hard, it takes away from the story and it starts reading like a textbook or something. So I tend to stray from anything constantly trying to 'guide' me towards a certain belief or point of view. Expressing it is one thing, but attempting to prove it as the only right answer is a bit much for me.

Thats why your stories can be read many times where other authors you tire of after one reading. Your stories can be read at a surface level for the pure enjoyment of it. And again later to see the message just below the surface. It's a subtle message and takes a little thinking. Very cool Dude!

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..