Blow Up by Bondwriter

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

A historical tale, set in the years leading up to World War II, we have just one of the adventures of Lucien and Andr

Good story. Unfortunately, I'm not really into politics but those characters (French! :P ) and the setting (historical) was made it easy for me to follow the story. The chemistry between Andre and Lucien is so obvious and I just love it! They are made for each other. The small French inserts were cool, for me! :2thumbs:

Great story in an original set-up!

Ieshwar

Bondwriter took on what, to me, was a very difficult task; his protagonists were communist, yet he portrayed them in such a way that he had this reader cheering them on by the end. Superbly done, I loved it, every bit.

The historical context was wonderful, not to mention accurate.

All around, a superb and wonderful story. :worship:

Bondwriter took on what, to me, was a very difficult task; his protagonists were communist, yet he portrayed them in such a way that he had this reader cheering them on by the end. Superbly done, I loved it, every bit.

The historical context was wonderful, not to mention accurate.

All around, a superb and wonderful story. :worship:

I have to agree with CJ. They came off as so heroic, and that couldn't have been easy to do. I loved it and was so relieved that Charles used the dagger to cut them free instead of carrying out the murders.

I've never been one for straight up history. Bores me to tears. Good fiction, though, placed within an historical setting, accurately portrayed, always give me a thrill. :D

Very well done, Bondwriter. :worship:

Your lead characters complimented one another splendidly. Idealism and action merged, harnassed by their mutual respect and devotion.

Bravo!!!

Conner

Very well written story! The story just reached out and consumed me until I was hopelessly lost in their adventure. I agree with pretty much everything that's been said already, and would LOVE to see more adventures of Andre and Lucien!

The opening of the story set the scene for me. The flavour of the valiant agent working against the villainous foe reminded me quickly of the old WWII movies I would watch when I was younger. It just wasn't often that the Communists were the good guys. :D

Glad you guys liked my Communist "terrorists". I actually come from a family that would have had more to see with the de Doriville. And both my grandfathers were named Andr

One thing that made the encounter with Charles especially scary for me; Bondwriter had, quite clevery, had the thugs mention "skiining alive" and Charles had a knife. Skillful shading there, Bondwriter!

The description of the mannor grounds and buldings was well done; not too much detail, just enough to give a feel for it.

The "opposites attract" romance was perfect. I also found the rash acts quite believable.

Bob raised a very good point, one I'd been wondering about myself; when will they join the resistance? Will they stay true to the party and be neutral to the Nazis until Operation Barbarosa in the summer of '41? Or will they be amongst the few party members who joined after the fall of France in 1940? Either way, I'll bet it's a soul-wrenching decision, and I can't wait to see where Bondwriter takes these two. :)

CJ

I'm reminded a bit of Ellen Kushner's Swordspoint and Lynn Flewelling's Nightrunner series, even though those are fantasy and not historical. I guess it's because of the swashbuckling couples. :) Anyway, I'm always glad to see historical settings. I think it's under-represented in gay fiction.

I'd like to see more of their adventures, too. Luckily, 'worth fighting for' should be an easy theme for you!

I know it is just fiction, but the way Bonwriter brings the political situation in 1934 seems me not exactly realistic. I was 7 years old in 1936, my parents (left-oriented) had a lot of friends among the "Front Populaire", and if I remember well, the "terrorists" were more on the right side (Les camelots du Roy, les Croix de Feu, aso) than on the left.

I'm glad you stopped by and commented, Bob, since I thought about you when doing research: Lucien & Andr

I was teasing you, Bob. I accept your offer, though writing in retrospect allows to make smart guesses and to have visionary characters easily. I'm currently researching the Front Populaire happenings in my d