Published gay mainstream fiction

A remember reading The Quartered Sea a while back (the 4th of a series of books) by Tanya Huff and was surprised that she got away with blatant homosexuality in there. The first three books weren't so blatant about it though.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has come across these types of published stories.

A remember reading The Quartered Sea a while back (the 4th of a series of books) by Tanya Huff and was surprised that she got away with blatant homosexuality in there.  The first three books weren't so blatant about it though.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has come across these types of published stories.

There are whole sections of gay fiction in the bookstore. Unfortunately, most of them are relegated to the gay and lesbian section. Anne McAffrey's Pern series had many major gay and lesbian characters, but it was fantasy and tied to the mythos of the realm.

Anne Rice has many homosexual and bisexual main characters in her stories, which is a first for a very popular mainstream author. (Although no actual homosexual encounters are mentioned in great detail except in The Vampire Armand.)

Family Album by Danielle Steel Has a major gay character

Dream Boy by Jim Grimsley

Patricia Nell Warren has 4 books The Front Runner, Harlan's Race, Billy's Boy and the Fancy Dancer

John Preston's The Golden Years is good

Quatrefoil by James Barr Copyright 1950 Is one of the best I have read

• Site Administrator

One wonders about "A Separate Peace" by John Knowles. It is probably the most ambigiously gay books I ever read. In fact... I need to reread it. I haven't read it since high school.

Tom Clancy has had two major gay characters. One was bad lesbian seduced by KGB agent and the other was a member of US Congress.

Believe it or not, the gay congressman is written very well, and there's a great scene where the Jack Ryan character APPEARS to insult him, but it was all part of a scheme to get at the bad guys. The congressman appears throughout the series as a supporting character and is one of the good guys, really treated no differently than any of the other supporting characters.

As for more fiction... The Last Herald-Mage Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey has got to be the biggest for having a gay male main character. Hell the story revolved around him and was almost solely from his point of view throughout. I remember hiding that book in my locker on ship, hoping they didn't find it and peg me as gay from reading the book. I was so fascinated by a book with an actual gay character that it helped me through the coming out process.

Also, Marion Zimmer Bradley has several gay/bi characters including villains and heroes.

There's a lot out there...now to find a publisher for my stories!

The best published gay fiction book I've read is Two Boys, At Swim by Jamie Oneill. It's normally in the general fiction section of bookshops. It's a historical book set during the easter uprising in ireland in the early 1900's. It can be a little tough to get into at the beginning, but it's an excellent book.