Southern California Fires

Jack Scribe

Kevin, move to Mauritius! We talk everything here- from English to French! You only get cyclones hyere but it's very fun. Stay in your house and see the lucky trees dancing in rain! :D (But the cleaning up the next day is no fun!)

Can you imagine Kev in Iowa? :lmao::D:lol: (No comments)

Ieshwar

Can you imagine Kev in Iowa? :lmao::D:lol: (No comments)

Hey, come on. My first 20 years were spent in Des Moines... :great: ...and just returned from a high school reunion (held in Bonita Springs, Fl).

I saw an unusual thing last night. The wildfire smoke is now drifting east and arrived in the Palm Springs area yesterday afternoon. Last night, the moon was a bright orange. The only thing missing was a silhouette of a witch on a broom.

BTW, the Palm Springs population (44,000) is now approximately 42% GBLT.

As a sidebar, we continually have earthquake activity. Here's an interesting link that shows recent (in the last hour through the past week) earthquakes in California and Nevada. http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/. This is a good site to bookmark for all living in this area. This link is not in realtors relocation guides.

Jack B)

People who say Joisey anger me, because they clearly have never lived in NJ for a long amount of time (I have lived here for the past 11 years).

Get a grip, I was born and raised in NJ, and lived there 20+ years.

I saw an unusual thing last night. The wildfire smoke is now drifting east and arrived in the Palm Springs area yesterday afternoon. Last night, the moon was a bright orange. The only thing missing was a silhouette of a witch on a broom.

Here is a picture of the moon I saw last night. Amazing! And while I'm at it, might as well save space and toss in A&F's New Faces: :rolleyes:http://www.abercrombie.com/anf/lifestyles/html/newfaces.html

I've been trying very hard to decide whether I wanted to move to New York or California next. Not to be facetious at a time like this, but I think you've just helped sway the balance.

Okay, California does periodically shake off the dander that acumulates, but no more so than anywhere else. Everyone fears earthquakes for some reason, but really they don't happen all that often. Our last big one was what, almost fifteen years ago? Even then, compare the damage of the Northridge Earthquake with the Kobe earthquake.We've got it together fairly well here.

And as a counter point, weather. While we have seasons in California, they aren't really as energetic as they are elsewhere. In New York though, you'll get seasons that mean business, including summers that will leave you dripping just at the effort of getting dressed and winters that will shut the city down for hours at a time. Oh, did I mention we have hardly any humidity here?

Plus, the housing market isn't near as crazy here in LA as it is in NYC. (Bay area gets close though, so I hear, but there is always the central valley). I have my own 1 bedroom apartment for under a thousand a month, in a clean neighborhood within walking distance to the beach. Find that in New York City.

If you want a cheap place like that in the northeast, avoid Jersey. The cost of living here is horrendous. Bucks County PA is so rich because people live there while working in Hunterdon County, NJ (one of the richest counties in the country). I firmly believe that this is the fact that causes New Jersey drivers to hate everyone else so much, because then we get a lot of PA motorists on our highways, and PA motorists like to go at or under the speed limit in the fast lane.

Okay, California does periodically shake off the dander that acumulates, but no more so than anywhere else. Everyone fears earthquakes for some reason, but really they don't happen all that often. Our last big one was what, almost fifteen years ago? Even then, compare the damage of the Northridge Earthquake with the Kobe earthquake.We've got it together

I believe we had an earthquake today or yesterday. It was small - 5.something, but yeah.

Plus, the housing market isn't near as crazy here in LA as it is in NYC. (Bay area gets close though, so I hear, but there is always the central valley). I have my own 1 bedroom apartment for under a thousand a month, in a clean neighborhood within walking distance to the beach. Find that in New York City.

I am near hating you right now. Swear to god.

I believe we had an earthquake today or yesterday. It was small - 5.something, but yeah.

Seriously? I didn't notice at all.

I meant to mention this in my other post, but my favorite "California-esque" quote from a movie is during Independence Day. "Is that an earthquake?"

"Baby, it's only a four-pointer. Go back to sleep."

I am near hating you right now. Swear to god.

I...hope you mean that in a joking way. Keep in mind I am a couple years older than you. I'd hope I'd be a little further along in building a life for myself. You'll be there soon, quicker than you believe.

There was a 5.6 earthquake on the Calaveras fault in San Jose last night at around 8 p.m. This earthquake runs north-south, and passes right through my home town, Walnut Creek. I'm in Berkeley, and we didn't feel a thing. My mom called me, and asked if we felt it. She said they felt it at home, it wasn't strong but lasted about 20 seconds. The TV news last night said it was about a 2.6 by the time it got to Walnut Creek.

The most dangerous fault in the SF Bay Area is the Hayward fault. It runs under UC's Memorial Stadium, and under my dorm. Fun and games! They keep predicting a major quake on the Hayward fault. I hope I'm finished here before that happens!

Colin B)