Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Let the Music Play 15

• Site Moderator

Not that I'm defending anyone for using lyrics in a story, but sometimes they fit. I usually scan ahead of them myself. But in the case of Nick, he used the lyrics to Time In A Bottle in his story by the same name. As I was reading them, I could hear Jim Crose singing them in my head.

Jan

• Site Administrator
In my humble opinion, the way you did the lyrics was correct. Not only using just the relevant part of a song, but putting the lyrics in context of what was going on. Too often I'll read a long set of lyrics and that's it. You've included what Brandon was doing while he was singing those lyrics, and, by implication, what he was thinking. It wasn't a dry recitation of the song -- it was the song in the context of not only a stage performance, but also a love affair.

Oh yeah,,, the lyrics were nice, and yes, usually I don't really like it when it's putting in lyrics just to write lyrics. but I think that, here, it brings something special to the story, and knowing CJ I'm sure that it will play something later on in the next chapters

Not that I'm defending anyone for using lyrics in a story, but sometimes they fit. I usually scan ahead of them myself. But in the case of Nick, he used the lyrics to Time In A Bottle in his story by the same name. As I was reading them, I could hear Jim Crose singing them in my head.

Jan

I agree. Maybe I didn't quite come across clearly in my post, when I used the expression "pet peeve". I guess you have all described what I meant to say in a more accurate way.

Thanks,

Steve B)

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..