question: what is a white party?

Silly question I suppose but I've heard of them on QaF and other places.

Not much Gay culture in Mississippi. We play games like let's find the bar this weekend because the city mayors try to score points by trying to shut them down constantly so they have to move around a lot. Another popular favorite is let's try not to get maced tonight... a real crowd pleaser.

Hmmm, well don't quote me, but my theory is that the white after Labor Day thing was for two reason. One, since the location was warm and sunny Florida they wanted to appear to be something of a pocket of "summer fun" leftover. My other theory is that a bunch of trendy gays decided to try to redefine fashion and set their own trends. Just speculation on both counts though.

Here's a couple of interesting articles on the matter that came up when I googled "White after labor day"

This one, the second on the list, from Howard University comes out very strongly in favour of doing away with the custom: link

Fourth on the list (one and three were simply yahoo and wikipedia information about the tradition respectively), from "Oxygen" implies that it's okay to bend the rules, but not outright break them: link

-Kevin

A bit more on your question. The Miami White Party is one of a number of big circuit parties (the Montreal Black and Blue is the one "down the road" from where I live.

I know the one in Montreal is large enough that they have used the Olympic Stadium (Stade Olympic) as a venue.

Here is a link for the history of the Circuit parties (never been, always hated being about lots of drunk people since I worked as a bartender thru University)

Wikipedia - Montreal Black and Blue Party

Steve

We used to have at least two white parties in the South: the Democrats and the Republicans.

As for the fashion police, I recall that Michael Jordan was fined some years ago for wearing white shoes after Labor Day (either by his team or the NBA).

Hmmm, well don't quote me, but my theory is that the white after Labor Day thing was for two reason. One, since the location was warm and sunny Florida they wanted to appear to be something of a pocket of "summer fun" leftover. My other theory is that a bunch of trendy gays decided to try to redefine fashion and set their own trends. Just speculation on both counts though.

Here's a couple of interesting articles on the matter that came up when I googled "White after labor day"

This one, the second on the list, from Howard University comes out very strongly in favour of doing away with the custom: link

Fourth on the list (one and three were simply yahoo and wikipedia information about the tradition respectively), from "Oxygen" implies that it's okay to bend the rules, but not outright break them: link

-Kevin

:ph34r: I never took anyone seriously when they said, "Don't you know you're not supposed to wear white after Labor Day?" I'm wearing a white shirt right now... My friend, Laura, is impressed because it's a polo.