Serious Hate

Jack Scribe

I hesitate to post this and warn the members that this disgusting You Tube video - up for 4 days - is scary homophobic. I flagged this as inappropriate. The clip includes punk homophobes verbally threatening death and physical abuse during a Halo game on XBox.

Do not watch this if you are squeamish. I only pass this along as a sad reminder that we all have to watch our backs...even in the anonymous atmosphere of a video game after a player announced he's gay.

I'm disappointed that this clip is still on You Tube.

Jack

I hesitate to post this and warn the members that this disgusting You Tube video - up for 4 days - is scary homophobic. I flagged this as inappropriate. The clip includes punk homophobes verbally threatening death and physical abuse during a Halo game on XBox.

Do not watch this if you are squeamish. I only pass this along as a sad reminder that we all have to watch our backs...even in the anonymous atmosphere of a video game after a player announced he's gay.

I'm disappointed that this clip is still on You Tube.

Jack

:( ......I'm afraid I don't know what to make of this (IT prevents me from seeing this)

but I copied what appears to be from the "creater? sender". He's claims he is gay and this was in an attempt at raising awareness, after he proclaimed himself in one of these on-line games. Anyway he left an e-mail addr for anyone who wanted to comment.

This is what happens when gay Masterchiefs don't abide by "Don't ask Don't tell".

Watch what ensues when I use a gamertag that's proud and unambiguous, xxxGayBoyxxx.

Other than maybe a quick "hello" to the chat room or a request to "veto", I didn't say anything first or taunt anyone. What was said by these players was done with no provocation on my part. The vast majority of the times I wouldn't even respond back so the audio would be clear.

Things I didn't include in this video are the betrayals (people on my team killing me), players asking me NOT to party up, or all leaving mid-game so that I'm all alone.

Not everything in this video was said with hate. I can take a joke, and I never took offense to what was said in it. My purpose for this video was only to raise awareness. Next time you're interacting with a gay person, even an obvious one that has gay written all over him/her, be sensible. They're not asking for it, that's just who they are, and unlike me, they may in fact be hurt by your comments.

You can email me at halogayboy@gmail.com

Answers to your questions:

Yes I'm gay.

"Gayboy" was actually already taken so I added the xxx, which is very commonly used to pad gamertags.

I've stopped recording my gameplays.

I blurred the gamertags because I didn't feel it was right to single out anyone.

I recorded a total of 11 nights. I have a lot more footage...

Thanks to http://gaygamer.net/ for helping get the word out on this video.

Definition of Homophobia from Wiki:

Homophobia is a term used to describe the fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals.It can also mean hatred, hostility, disapproval of, or prejudice towards homosexuals, or homosexual behavior or cultures. (

) Edited by Benji

Well I was confused until I turned on the sound... :blink: but still, I don't really expect much maturity from the groups of people who play video games (not linking everyone into those groups).. sorry... also, a lot of people are braver in their own rooms than out functioning in the real world. The actions still aren't justified and it's still nasty, I'm just not going to put too much thought into it as it is just a video game. It's just embarrassing really, to know that people have lost their ability to act with some maturity. The reaction to the screen name xxxGayBoyxxx didn't surprise me at all.

Krista

What odd timing considering that I just left a spades gaming room (it's a card game in case anyone didn't know ;) ) in which I used "gayboy" in part of my handle. I only had ONE person make a negative reference to it and he was being generally abusive to the entire room. I have to say that by and large I don't get a reaction at all when I use the name. The majority of times no one comments at all. I can remember once when I was playing with someone and they asked "are you really gay?" and when I responded that I was they just said something to the effect of "that's cool". I can also remember a one other time when someone was being a jerk about it, but once again he was being a jerk in general.

So anyway, overall, in my experience I have much more positive things to report with regards to gaming with the phrase "gayboy" in your handle. :)

I suppose card games and video games might be different though. *shrug*

Take care all and have a great day!

Kevin

Edited by AFriendlyFace

Halo just sucks. Massive hype...

I've been playing another online FPS game lately. And I had to put up with a lot of homophobic insults. Things like "This map is gay", "You're a fag", "coksucker", the average stuff that pours out of your average low IQ redneck (most of them probably in their early teens, heh). Finally I admitted I was gay, LOL. Pretty funny. Turns out some of the players were too. One of them, a bi woman had a 12 year old daughter who also plays the game. She (the girl, I mean) started adding a GLBT tag to her name (y'all know what that means, right? :P ) and encouraged us to do the same. LOL. There are about 8 people now with the tag. Including straight ones who support against the discrimination. ;)

P.S. If you know what game I'm talking about... SHHH! LOL. I'm still closeted ;)

I've been playing another online FPS game lately. And I had to put up with a lot of homophobic insults. Things like "This map is gay", "You're a fag", "coksucker", the average stuff that pours out of your average low IQ redneck (most of them probably in their early teens, heh). Finally I admitted I was gay, LOL. Pretty funny. Turns out some of the players were too. One of them, a bi woman had a 12 year old daughter who also plays the game. She (the girl, I mean) started adding a GLBT tag to her name (y'all know what that means, right? :P ) and encouraged us to do the same. LOL. There are about 8 people now with the tag. Including straight ones who support against the discrimination. ;)

Well that sounds really cool! :great:

Some of them were being homophobic, others seemed more like they were teasing. But overall, yeah, just like on forums and other places where you are annonymous, it's easier to spread hatred.

Never played Halo, looks pretty awesome though. Wish I had an XBox360 and a PS3... Wish I had money to buy them. lol

I'm afraid that all this proves is that the X-box appeals to some members of the shallow end of the gene pool.

Thanks for calling me shallow.

I think what you're trying to say is that HALO appeals to that end of the spectrum, in which case I agree. Most of the time they're just antagonizing the enemy in order to gain the advantage... make them feel weak and they'll crumble. A handle like that opens up WAY too many doors.

• Site Administrator
I think what you're trying to say is that HALO appeals to that end of the spectrum, in which case I agree. Most of the time they're just antagonizing the enemy in order to gain the advantage... make them feel weak and they'll crumble. A handle like that opens up WAY too many doors.

Makes sense :) I personally think there is a fair percentage of insults that are not meant literally, but are just "insults". Also, as Robbie has indicated, in some situations, insults are a tactic and not meant personally. I'm sorry to say that some Australian sportmen are notorious for this. So much, that the practise even has a name: sledging. Some of the Australian Cricket team are masters of the art of sledging... :(

Thanks for calling me shallow.

I'm surprised and disappointed. A careful analysis (such as an engineering student might conduct) would show that James's comment indicates only that he believes that some X-Box users belong in the shallow end of the gene pool. He never said that all X-Box users belong in the shallow end of the gene pool, or that all members of the shallow end of the gene pool like the X-Box. :P

I think James has been harshly done by ;)

Oh, and we don't have ANY game stations in our house. If the boys want to play games, they can do it on the computer.

I never really thought about this until today, whilst playing Halo 3 btw.

But during the game i made osme comments that are none out of the ordinary for online halo playing, and realized that yes, the things said to xxxgayboyxxx could have been foreseen by any experienced player hands down.

Now, things siad to that person were yes, vile and cruel, but not unexpected. Talking smack as said earlier is a tactic, nothing personal. I mean its fun to make fun of other players names lol, i do it quite frequently. I say worse things than what were said to him and shit, its just a tactic...plus its fun.

In halo, take nothing personal, and take nothing for granted....especially a guy named modestroots ( :D ).

Halo for life

Edited by The Reaper