Paramnesia by york366

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

This is an unusual story. I'll be honest and say that I'm not sure I understand it.

One clue to what is going on is in the title:

paramnesia

n. abnormality of memory, especially forgetting of meaning of words; illusion of having experienced before events which are being experienced for the first time.

The ending of the story implies that the scenes with Brent are occuring five years after the scenes with Jay, though Conner experiences a paramnesia moment where he feels he's met the nurse Brent before.

There is also Conner's statement that he's had a third chance -- which I took to mean Peter was his first, Jay was his second and Brent, his third.

Hospitals link Conner's three chances. It is almost as if the universe kept throwing Conner into hospital environments until he finally met Brent. In the process he loses first Peter, and, presumably, Jay.

Is Conner lucky, or unlucky? I really don't know.

This is an unusual story. I'll be honest and say that I'm not sure I understand it.

One clue to what is going on is in the title:

paramnesia

n. abnormality of memory, especially forgetting of meaning of words; illusion of having experienced before events which are being experienced for the first time.

The ending of the story implies that the scenes with Brent are occuring five years after the scenes with Jay, though Conner experiences a paramnesia moment where he feels he's met the nurse Brent before.

There is also Conner's statement that he's had a third chance -- which I took to mean Peter was his first, Jay was his second and Brent, his third.

Hospitals link Conner's three chances. It is almost as if the universe kept throwing Conner into hospital environments until he finally met Brent. In the process he loses first Peter, and, presumably, Jay.

Is Conner lucky, or unlucky? I really don't know.

Conner would certainly have reason to question his sanity.

Is the third time the charm? Or do bad things come in threes?

A very captivating story. Thanks!

Do I know you? Haven't we met before? It was a hospital, right? Or, was it Prague?

Was Jay dumped because he had to go to a hospital? Why Brent, if he worked in a hospital? Maybe it's okay to work there, just don't dare be a patient.

A lot of questions, but a good tale nonetheless, well constructed, with flashbacks and flashforwards clearly defined. Conner definitely has some problems with reality, but it was fun spending a little time with him.

Thanks Kyle for a great story.

Carl :boy:

Hmm, for a moment you had me confused. I thought you were going for alternative realities. But the last line answered every question. That was a really sweet story. I liked it.

Btw, I think Conner is lucky! :D

Take care,

Ieshwar

Hey there,

very nice story, I got very intrigued. I can guess that his relationship with peter ended as he died in hospital (no?) I just wonder what didn't worked with Jay, It something that the story didn't tell us. But it looks like Jay and conner broke up not long after the accident as Conner met with Brent.

It woulda been freaky to "dream" about being on a romantic getaway with someone that is not your current boyfriend. That must have been weird.

anyhow. I love the way it was written, the quick pace of narration.

great story, One of my favorite of them.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for all your comments! i wrote the story basically around a past, present and future for conner, each defined by a different boyfriend, and how the three get tangled through flashback and paramnesia. i'm glad you all liked it!