Mechanics 101

Just another written formality that I usually wonder about while I'm writing. It's the decision between using the words 'each other' or 'one another'.

They both mean pretty much the same thing, but I was wondering if there was an actual official rule concerning this. Is there a difference between saying:

"We stared at each other from across the room."

And saying:

"We stared at one another from across the room."

Is there a right and a wrong way to use the terms? Or is it just a matter of choice? What do you guys think? And what have you heard?

Just another written formality that I usually wonder about while I'm writing. It's the decision between using the words 'each other' or 'one another'.

I don't know if there's a rule behind it, but "one another" feels more intimate to me, maybe because the word is softer. For example, "We glared at each other from across the room." has a nice harsh sound to it.

That's my two cents :D

I agree with the steph291,

They mean the same thing, but sound different. Kind of like 'Aroma' and 'Stench' (best example I could come up with.

One another sounds more intimate IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much for the feedback! :) You know what, you guys actually make a really good point. I think it DOES sound more intimate to say 'one another'. It's...classy. I never really thought of it that way before. Thanks! :)

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..