Weird night...

I stayed up way past my bedtime last night. Well, this morning actually. It's all BK's fault! Somewhere around 4:30 AM Eastern US. When I finally made it to bed I had to listen to my favorite tech podcast of the week, TWiT, which comes out around 3:00 AM Eastern Time US. I fell asleep somewhere in the middle of it but woke up quickly cause my brain noticed the lack of sound. So I rolled the iPod back to where I thought I'd left off and listened to the rest of it. Then I caught up on two episodes of The Daily Giz Wiz. By that time it was around 8:00 AM and I was awake for the day. Rolled out of bed in my pre-coffee haze, ground some beans, made a double-espresso, and now here I am posting when I should be sleeping.

Has anyone else ever been there and done that?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stayed up way past my bedtime last night. Well, this morning actually. It's all BK's fault! Somewhere around 4:30 AM Eastern US. When I finally made it to bed I had to listen to my favorite tech podcast of the week, TWiT, which comes out around 3:00 AM Eastern Time US. I fell asleep somewhere in the middle of it but woke up quickly cause my brain noticed the lack of sound. So I rolled the iPod back to where I thought I'd left off and listened to the rest of it. Then I caught up on two episodes of The Daily Giz Wiz. By that time it was around 8:00 AM and I was awake for the day. Rolled out of bed in my pre-coffee haze, ground some beans, made a double-espresso, and now here I am posting when I should be sleeping.

B) .......I always get about two nights a month of fitful sleeping

B) .......I always get about two nights a month of fitful sleeping

This wasn't really fitful sleeping. It was basically no sleeping. The brain never shut down long enough for true sleep.

I go through the fitful sleeping thing occasionally too. It's a bitch the next day. What usually causes your fitful nights? Stressing over something?

I'm fairly wide awake and full of energy right now. Who knows though. Maybe I'll crash around lunchtime and wake up in time for supper. :)

Yep. Yesterday. I ended up with a head ache because of it. I finally went to bed and slept until around 3 this morning. Crawled out of it around 5 after listening to the early morning news on my radio. And now, I'm in the same boat as you. Coffee! Here I come! Wait, do I have sugar?

This wasn't really fitful sleeping. It was basically no sleeping. The brain never shut down long enough for true sleep.

I go through the fitful sleeping thing occasionally too. It's a bitch the next day. What usually causes your fitful nights? Stressing over something?

I'm fairly wide awake and full of energy right now. Who knows though. Maybe I'll crash around lunchtime and wake up in time for supper. :)

B) ...............I know what you mean, I usually just get up and see if anything boring is on the tv.

Welcome to my way of life! I've stopped trying to fight it now, I just go with it :) Going to bed before midnight and sleeping right through is an exception for me.

One of three things usually happens:

1. Get involved in something and forget the time until it's dawn
  2. Go to bed before midnight, fall asleep, wake up about 3-4am feeling hyper and can't get back to sleep so get up
  3. Don't bother going to bed at all and carry on through the next day, so I get one long sleep the following night.

I do tend now towards napping during the day. Sometimes I'll take a mid-morning nap for a couple of hours if I've been up most of the night. I try not to nap in the afternoon since that'll knock out any chance I have of sleeping at a reasonable hour that night. That said, I find a 45 minute walk (as I'm about to take now) is a good way to relax and almost as good as sleep to me since it lets my thoughts wander (like dreaming).

I find if I ensure I do something physical during the day it's easier to sleep earlier and longer, which is strange since my reason for not sleeping is an over-active brain. When I am feeling tired it is usually primarily my eyes, from the strain of too many hours in front of the PC screen. My brain is usually still hyper and my body is raring to go.

I find it helps to run every day although running before breakfast doesn't help the sleeping later. I'm about to switch to running in the evenings (around 6pm) to see if that has a better effect. I might just run morning and evening because I like the boost I get in the mornings.

Having a partner around helps in as much as it keeps me in bed *and* physically tires me at the same time, but I don't think I sleep any more than usual :P

Yep. Yesterday. I ended up with a head ache because of it. I finally went to bed and slept until around 3 this morning. Crawled out of it around 5 after listening to the early morning news on my radio. And now, I'm in the same boat as you. Coffee! Here I come! Wait, do I have sugar?

I hope you've got sugar. I once tried an espresso aka Cuban Coffee here in Miami with no sugar. Man was it awful. My brother-in-law actually prefers it that way. The office manager has to pour off some coffee just for Mitch before she adds massive amounts of sugar for everyone else. Down here we live on caffeine and sugar. Except for my weird bro-in-law/best friend/financial adviser. ;)

Did your headache arrive before or after your brief sleep? I ask that because I get migraines, and my neurologist suggests some Cuban Coffee if I catch the migraine in enough time to keep the coffee down. Otherwise it's Maxalt, a migraine medication that dissolves under your tongue.

One of three things usually happens:

1. Get involved in something and forget the time until it's dawn
  2. Go to bed before midnight, fall asleep, wake up about 3-4am feeling hyper and can't get back to sleep so get up
  3. Don't bother going to bed at all and carry on through the next day, so I get one long sleep the following night.

That's what usually happens to me. Though for number 1, it's usually me writing something or a really good story. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. the other 2, happens all the time. I usually cure my sleeplessness with a cup of green tea. Puts me to sleep.

I hope you've got sugar. I once tried an espresso aka Cuban Coffee here in Miami with no sugar. Man was it awful. My brother-in-law actually prefers it that way. The office manager has to pour off some coffee just for Mitch before she adds massive amounts of sugar for everyone else. Down here we live on caffeine and sugar. Except for my weird bro-in-law/best friend/financial adviser. ;)

Did your headache arrive before or after your brief sleep? I ask that because I get migraines, and my neurologist suggests some Cuban Coffee if I catch the migraine in enough time to keep the coffee down. Otherwise it's Maxalt, a migraine medication that dissolves under your tongue.

Ugh, coffee without sugar. The only time I will ever do that is coffee shots. I don't know the actual name for it. And no, not expresso shots, coffee shots. Pretty much, you take the sludge that is known to be in the Yuma Police station and drink a shot glass full of that. It will wake you up for the rest of the day.

And it was there before I went to sleep. It was caused because of an earthquake. It was big enough to jerk me around and make me smack my head on my wall. I hit it just enough to make me stress out about a concusion, but not to actually give me one.

With my migraines, nothing can kill them, except some MAJOR pain killers, and I mean major. The kind that you have to go to the hospital half the time to get.

I'm better though. I have tea in the fridge cooling down and a cup of coffee in front of me. Sweet and Low works just as well as sugar.

That's what usually happens to me. Though for number 1, it's usually me writing something or a really good story. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. the other 2, happens all the time. I usually cure my sleeplessness with a cup of green tea. Puts me to sleep.

Ugh, coffee without sugar. The only time I will ever do that is coffee shots. I don't know the actual name for it. And no, not expresso shots, coffee shots. Pretty much, you take the sludge that is known to be in the Yuma Police station and drink a shot glass full of that. It will wake you up for the rest of the day.

And it was there before I went to sleep. It was caused because of an earthquake. It was big enough to jerk me around and make me smack my head on my wall. I hit it just enough to make me stress out about a concusion, but not to actually give me one.

With my migraines, nothing can kill them, except some MAJOR pain killers, and I mean major. The kind that you have to go to the hospital half the time to get.

I'm better though. I have tea in the fridge cooling down and a cup of coffee in front of me. Sweet and Low works just as well as sugar.

B) ...........Funny, I actually quit sugar and creamora in my coffee @ 2 years ago, I drink it black and its just fine for me. P.S. Not that i needed to, but I also lost about 15 lbs.

B) ...........Funny, I actually quit sugar and creamora in my coffee @ 2 years ago, I drink it black and its just fine for me. P.S. Not that i needed to, but I also lost about 15 lbs.

It's cause you cut out the fat that is part of the creamora. No matter what kind, it's got more fat than just milk. I'll stick to flavored coffee and some sugar personally.

Anyways, thats :off: and we need to get back on topic. Sometimes you just have those odd nights where you can't sleep. I suggest you try something soothing next time this happens, dear.

It's not OT Rose. Not IMO anyway.

Benji, there is always something boring to watch on TV. Just try and infomercial, LOL.

Tris, too may years of fun stuff like rock climbing (and falling) have taken it's toll on my body. I have to stick to brisk walks. Usually just before bedtime. It works wonders to get of most of the stress from a day of sitting at a keyboard. I'm glad you can still run.

Benji, there is always something boring to watch on TV. Just try and infomercial, LOL.

Tris, too may years of fun stuff like rock climbing (and falling) have taken it's toll on my body. I have to stick to brisk walks. Usually just before bedtime. It works wonders to get of most of the stress from a day of sitting at a keyboard. I'm glad you can still run.

B) ...............You bet, but watching Planning Commission or City Council meetings, well you can't beat it :P

B) ...............You bet, but watching Planning Commission or City Council meetings, well you can't beat it :P

Here in Miami I can watch the Haitian channels in Kreyol. I don't have a clue what they're saying so I usually mute the volume and turn up the iPod. Works better than any sleeping pill, LOL.

Here in Miami I can watch the Haitian channels in Kreyol. I don't have a clue what they're saying so I usually mute the volume and turn up the iPod. Works better than any sleeping pill, LOL.

B) .......You got me there!! LOL

When I have nights like that, I tend to start writing, probably to my editor's dismay. :P

I'm talking about the coffee talk sweet cheeks. You know...I'm thinking about asking people about their coffee habits, since so many of us drinks it.

I'm talking about the coffee talk sweet cheeks. You know...I'm thinking about asking people about their coffee habits, since so many of us drinks it.

I think it would make for a great topic. I'm so fussy about how I prepare my coffee people will probably think I'm weird.

When I have nights like that, I tend to start writing, probably to my editor's dismay. :P

To your beta-reader's dismay too. According to the timestamp my last beta-read of your upcoming short story was well after midnight. And it was one hell of stressful read too due to the subject matter! :P

I think it would make for a great topic. I'm so fussy about how I prepare my coffee people will probably think I'm weird.

To your beta-reader's dismay too. According to the timestamp my last beta-read of your upcoming short story was well after midnight. And it was one hell of stressful read too due to the subject matter! :P

Well, I happen to think the subject is a necessary one. As for the dismay, I apologize for anything like that. Sometimes I lie awake at night because a part of me wants to say something!

Well, I happen to think the subject is a necessary one. As for the dismay, I apologize for anything like that. Sometimes I lie awake at night because a part of me wants to say something!

We've been through this too many times Tim. The dismay was well worth it in the end. This is a story people need to read no matter how difficult the subject matter might be. You'll enlighten a lot of people and you will kick ass in the contest. I know it's not easy to lie awake at night. But you have so much to say I think it's worth it as long as you keep your stress levels under control. :worship:

You know, I'm going to do that. I'm bored enough to do it to. Just need to work out how I want to write it.

*hugs* We all do that. And what in the world are you talking about when it comes to the beta thing?

Beta-reading is part of the process at GA. It helps give the author feedback as each chapter or each story is developing. It hopefully provides continuity, consistency and adherence to the plot. The editor's job is equally important and in many ways editing and beta-reading duties overlap. I like to think of us as a team that makes sure the author turns out the best possible stories. Stories that not only make for a great read but also have the professional polish only an editor can provide.

ADDED: Rose, just start by writing about your coffee habits. You'll have a popular thread in no time at all. :)

Edited by GaryInMiami
You know, I'm going to do that. I'm bored enough to do it to. Just need to work out how I want to write it.

*hugs* We all do that. And what in the world are you talking about when it comes to the beta thing?

Beta reading is all about making improvements. There may be instances of correcting grammar (something the editor does too) and changing phraseology and word choice. There is a definition somewhere on the site, but I am not good at finding such threads. Where is Beastie when I need him?

Ya know, I know what beta reading is. I'm an editor and beta reader first and foremost. I'm talking about the beta reading for a story. Re-read the above posts. To be precise, the story that was mentioned. Sorry. I'm still waiting for the caffine to kick in.

And I've started the coffee subject. *cackles*

Ya know, I know what beta reading is. I'm an editor and beta reader first and foremost. I'm talking about the beta reading for a story. Re-read the above posts. To be precise, the story that was mentioned. Sorry. I'm still waiting for the caffine to kick in.

And I've started the coffee subject. *cackles*

I cannot comment on the specifics of the story. The best I can do is tell you it dealt with a subject matter I was intimately familiar with and parts of it hit way too close to home. At first I cursed Tim for putting me through that. Then I sought advice from Kevin and he was a huge help. Once I realized the story had the exact impact Tim intended I was able to ask his forgiveness, discuss it, offered to continue with my assignment, and completed it quickly. I hope that's what you were looking for.

I cannot comment on the specifics of the story. The best I can do is tell you it dealt with a subject matter I was intimately familiar with and parts of it hit way too close to home. At first I cursed Tim for putting me through that. Then I sought advice from Kevin and he was a huge help. Once I realized the story had the exact impact Tim intended I was able to ask his forgiveness, discuss it, offered to continue with my assignment, and completed it quickly. I hope that's what you were looking for.

That's more than I was looking for. I was actually wondering if it was posted or not really. Yes, the caffine as finally kicked in and I can actually concetrate.

I'm glad that you and Tim worked things out and I hope that you both can continue to work together properly. :hug: