DO Redux - Davey's Dad Poll

What is Davey's father's real agenda in Redux?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What is Davey's father's real agenda in Redux?

• He loves his son and is learning to be supportive
    • He loves his son and will figure out how to make him straight.
    • He loves the power his son is bringing his way and is capitallizing on it
    • He's tricking Davey into a sense of safety which is when he'll show his true colors.
    • Davey's Dad is just Bad
    • I'm not sure, but I suspect something bad
    • I'm not sure, but I'm hoping it's something good

Okay, all the chapters are written that this poll could possibly affect, I know where I'm taking Davey's Dad character-wise, but I just HAVE to know what y'all are thinking. I've been hearing some people say they are starting to like him, others believe he's got some hidden agenda to hurt Davey, and a few other variations. This poll is just for fun, to see what y'all think.

I've really tried to add some depth to that character this time around, and I want to find out what you think. Davey's Dad figures VERY prominently in these early chapters of the story, and really does have an impact even through the chapters I'm writing, so I want to hear how y'all are perceiving him. Vote, please!

I think Davey's father does love his son, but is only capable of expressing love as a form of ownership (yeah, I know, I probably watched too much Oprah when I was an impressionable youth). I think that's something that certainly came across in the first story. I also think that his desire for control-freakery is being greatly stroked by the power and influence he's getting.

I suspect that in his own mind he has concluded that he was so confrontational in the original history that he put a barrier between them and was therefore unable to exert any influence over his son. As a result of that he has decided to change his tactics, but not his overall strategy of trying to turn Davey straight.

Edited by kitjed23

This one is really hard - I took the last choice, but not really what I've been thinking...

I'm kinda a hopeless optimist at times - and thinking he's actually respectful of Davey's new perspective and trying to listen. The only problem with this is what the same person (though different timeline) did in DO - esp after Davey died (pre-Sean's DO). Though I *want* him to be good, it's hard reconciling what I want his motivation to be now because he's aware of Davey's history vs. what that same man did to Davey's legacy. (I hope this makes sense - heh - it does to me, but this is one reason I enjoy being a reader, and not a writer).

The question then becomes, if Davey's father does betray him, and the betrayal is so serious that their relationship breaks down as completely as it did in 'DO', does Davey still have the option of 'divorcing' his parents? His mother does not seem likely to separate from his father any time soon, he doesn't have Trevor's parents to run to, he's not under the jurisdiction of the liberal California court system and social services department, and it's by no means clear that Davey would be able to win President Reagan onto his side in this matter.

The question then becomes, if Davey's father does betray him, and the betrayal is so serious that their relationship breaks down as completely as it did in 'DO', does Davey still have the option of 'divorcing' his parents? His mother does not seem likely to separate from his father any time soon, he doesn't have Trevor's parents to run to, he's not under the jurisdiction of the liberal California court system and social services department, and it's by no means clear that Davey would be able to win President Reagan onto his side in this matter.

*waves hand in the air* I know the answer

*gets muzzled by Dan*

If Davey's father does die, then I'm sensing another court case coming up. I love the way Dan writes court room scenes, they're so full of tension and supressed energy - you can almost smell the testosterone in the air. (Is it wrong of me to be turned on by that? I didn't get the same reaction watching Perry Mason.)

Better be careful, Novelty, Davey could tell Reagan that The Duchy of Nostalgia is in cahoots with the Chinese and THEN where would you be...
Hopefully, gettting at least a story about the war with the Chinese... but that's not going to happen :(