Open Club  ·  73 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Let the Music Play

Yes! Tell me my best course of action. Thanks!

Currently, what changed is not just the directory name, but the ltmp index file in the main dir.

The old one was named LTMP.php, and the new one is ltmp.php

That seems to be the main cause of the most broken links. As an iterim measure, I asked Joe if he could copy the existing file so both versions would be there. I know that wouldn't work in DOS but it should in UNIX.

Then, I have a dilemma; I can either put the old file structre back. This isn't much work on my end; I use a find-replace utility to handle all instances of the links on my site. The question is, would restoring the old locations be best? or, re-crate the old dir but with each "chapter" file being a redirect to the new location?

So, should I just go back to the old structure?

Or is the second index file, with the old name, good enough?

Or, should I re-create the old dir but with redirects in place of all the chapters?

Thanks!!

CJ

Can Joe just do a restore from yesterday's backups and then all u'd have to do is add Chapter 30?

Oh yeah, I forgot this is an Apache-based website so everything is case-sensitive. If all you did was change the case of stuff then just change it back and you should be fine.

Thanks...

There was more to it than a case change; all the links in every chapter changed becuase the main site index changed from index.htm to index.php. That part wasn't the problem though, it was me deciding to "tidy up" by changing the structure that caused the problems.

I should have followed my own advice, which is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and left the directory structure alone. LoL!

Thanks Gary.

It's working now. :great: Thanks to whoever is responsible. :worship:

I'm still getting 404s.

ADDED: OK, the story links are working but the home page needs to be renamed index.php.

Edited by GaryInMiami

Just to let everyone know; both versions of the directory (upper case and lower case) are now on the site, and I'm returning to use the old directory for all new and existing chapters. The lower-case directory will likly end up with redicrect pages instead of the chapters soon. Sorry for the inconveniance.

BTW, for those who bookmarked the ltmp index, both versions of it will remain, so no need to change anything.

Case-sensitivity is one of the things I constantly struggle with on OSes where case matters. I tend to keep everything in lower-case on those OSes and use underscores to separate words. I like Windows better for the reason that LetTheMusicPlay is easier for me to read than, let's say, let_the_music_play, as just one example.

Case-sensitivity is one of the things I constantly struggle with on OSes where case matters. I tend to keep everything in lower-case on those OSes and use underscores to separate words. I like Windows better for the reason that LetTheMusicPlay is easier for me to read than, let's say, let_the_music_play, as just one example.

I so agree with you, Gary. I do two hours a week of "Computing Service" playing nursemaid to a room full of UNIX servers here on the campus. I HATE the "lower-case isn't the same as upper-case" BS. But it be what it are, as they say.

Colin B)

I so agree with you, Gary. I do two hours a week of "Computing Service" playing nursemaid to a room full of UNIX servers here on the campus. I HATE the "lower-case isn't the same as upper-case" BS. But it be what it are, as they say.

Colin B)

Are you seeking some sort of computer-related degree, Colin?

Oh crap... You mean on bookmarked pages? The ltmp directory did change. I originally had it as LTMPfiles and the mix of upper and lower case on servers is not good, I'd heard, so I changed it to ltmpfiles and tried to change all the site links. I still have to do the ones in my forum.

BTW, I have learned my lesson; if it works, DON'T try and fix it! Changing that dir name was dumb on my part.

I about freaked I was checking to see if the next chapter was posted and poof 404 page not found error when attempting to go to your homepage. Thought maybe the site was down but jack scribes homepage was still working. lol

Evil Goat

:ph34r:

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..