Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Let the Music Play

Well its somewhere, along with the rest of the files.

CJ did mention there maybe some technical difficulties due to a infrastructure redesign, so hang tight I'm sure the chapter will pop up.

That said is it too early to declare a cliffhanger??

Well its somewhere, along with the rest of the files.

CJ did mention there maybe some technical difficulties due to a infrastructure redesign, so hang tight I'm sure the chapter will pop up.

That said is it too early to declare a cliffhanger??

Thanks. It's not just the new chapter; all 29 earlier chapters have also disappeared.

yup, I'm thinking the php-include is buggy, thats why the index page does not bring up a list of chapters like a good index page should. Beyond that There was some back end reorganizing so all prior links to the chapters should not work now, as it appears they were moved into a sub-folder.

Don't worry I'm sure they are trying to figure out whatever happened.

:)

ps i told you all he was evil.... and now he gives me evidence <_<

I hope it's back soon. As far as evil cliffhangers, I want one. It's been 11 chapters since we had an official evil cliffhanger. I hope there is one. :music::2thumbs:

Does the disappearance of the whole story constitute a cliffhanger?

The story is still there; it's just the main link from the main page that is broken (I screwed up). Link directly from my sig to the last chapter, and then from there you should be able to use the nav table at the bottom to access the files. (including the new Chapter 30)

Sorry about this! It should be fixed soon! I changed the directory name so old links won't work... Stupid! I forgot about the forum links to chapters, now I have to go edit all the announcments and all the chapter threads. Duh!!!

Thanks!!

CJ

The story is still there; it's just the main link from the main page that is broken (I screwed up). Link directly from my sig to the last chapter, and then from there you should be able to use the nav table at the bottom to access the files. (including the new Chapter 30)

Sorry about this! It should be fixed soon! I changed the directory name so old links won't work... Stupid! I forgot about the forum links to chapters, now I have to go edit all the announcements and all the chapter threads. Duh!!!

Thanks!!

CJ

or you could click here geesh he makes things difficult :P

Sorry about this! It should be fixed soon! I changed the directory name so old links won't work... Stupid! I forgot about the forum links to chapters, now I have to go edit all the announcments and all the chapter threads. Duh!!!

Thanks!!

CJ

I told you I wanted to help with the redesign. I'm working on Jack Scribe's site now. I could have worked on yours, too! And it wouldn't have disappeared. :P

I told you I wanted to help with the redesign. I'm working on Jack Scribe's site now. I could have worked on yours, too! And it wouldn't have disappeared. :P

ROFL! You're right, making one's own site dissapear is not a good thing. :)

It wasn't trying to do a redesign, just change the links and file structure. But, I managed to goof. The goof went in every chapter of every story, becuase I used a bulk find-and-replace program to do the coding changes. OOps.

BTW, Joe added some code to the main page! It now displays recent forum threads, and links to them! (Thanks Joe!)

Take a look... about halfway down the main page. (and the site is working again now, too; Joe fixed it).

CJ

(and the site is working again now, too; Joe fixed it).

It's working?

Not Found

The requested URL /LTMP.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.39 Server at cjames.gayauthors.org Port 80

I must be doing something wrong.

I'm getting 404s on all the original URLs too.

Oh crap... You mean on bookmarked pages? The ltmp directory did change. I originally had it as LTMPfiles and the mix of upper and lower case on servers is not good, I'd heard, so I changed it to ltmpfiles and tried to change all the site links. I still have to do the ones in my forum.

BTW, I have learned my lesson; if it works, DON'T try and fix it! Changing that dir name was dumb on my part.

• Site Moderator

I'm not having any problems with it. In fact, I just finished reading it. Remembering what CJ had posted earlier, when I first got the blank chapter listing, I figured it was being updated.

I happened to there one other time when a chapter was being uploaded.

The original URLs are no longer valid. You need to bookmark new ones :)

That's gonna do wonderful things for his ranking in the search engines! Why did the directory structure need to be changed? Why weren't redirects from the old to new put in place?

Edited by GaryInMiami
  • Site Administrator
That's gonna do wonderful things for his ranking in the search engines!

And I think you've discovered the REAL reason for this.

We have to remember that C James is under the delusion that's he's a shy and retiring lurker. Having an overly popular story would not fit that image, so he's worked hard to reduce his ranking in the search engines so he can pretend to be a lurker for a bit longer.... :P

That's gonna do wonderful things for his ranking in the search engines! Why did the directory structure need to be changed? Why weren't redirects from the old to new put in place?

I thought a mix of capitals and lower case was bad, so I thought I was fixing a problem. The real problem is that I screwed up and should have left that directory name alone. I'll see about adding redirects. The search engine problem never occurred to me (yet another goof on my part)

And I think you've discovered the REAL reason for this.

We have to remember that C James is under the delusion that's he's a shy and retiring lurker. Having an overly popular story would not fit that image, so he's worked hard to reduce his ranking in the search engines so he can pretend to be a lurker for a bit longer.... :P

Lol...

Don't change your bookmarks yet... I'm working on it. Sorry for the mess!

The case doesn't matter. For the most part it's the content and how it's presented that matters. It's never a good thing to change an established URL. It tends to break too much stuff. I really wish you'd asked me about this first CJ. Could have saved you a world of trouble.

The case doesn't matter. For the most part it's the content and how it's presented that matters. It's never a good thing to change an established URL. It tends to break too much stuff. I really wish you'd asked me about this first CJ. Could have saved you a world of trouble.

I wish I'd have asked, too. :)

Is there anything I can do at this point to help you out of this mess?

Yes! Tell me my best course of action. Thanks!

Currently, what changed is not just the directory name, but the ltmp index file in the main dir.

The old one was named LTMP.php, and the new one is ltmp.php

That seems to be the main cause of the most broken links. As an iterim measure, I asked Joe if he could copy the existing file so both versions would be there. I know that wouldn't work in DOS but it should in UNIX.

Then, I have a dilemma; I can either put the old file structre back. This isn't much work on my end; I use a find-replace utility to handle all instances of the links on my site. The question is, would restoring the old locations be best? or, re-crate the old dir but with each "chapter" file being a redirect to the new location?

So, should I just go back to the old structure?

Or is the second index file, with the old name, good enough?

Or, should I re-create the old dir but with redirects in place of all the chapters?

Thanks!!

CJ

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..