Open Club  ·  73 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

computer crash

I have tried resetting the channel and it helped for a bit. It also seems to happen when one certain guy (or gal) is on. I also run a secure connection and I change the password often. I also think that most of us are using a Belkin system. The Linksys router I use to use just wasn't powerful enough to very far going thru walls. If I sit at the side of the house, the signal travels thru one wall. If I set on the front porch, two walls. The Belkin has a range of 700 ft while the Linksys was 400. The Linksys used a card and the stystem wasn't compatible with vista. I then got the belkin for the range.

Your best bet is going to be working out an agreement with your neighbor about which channel you and he should use. It's likely he/she is having the same interference problems you are. I had to do that with my next door neighbor and since then things have been great. Of course I still have access to her unsecured BlueTooth cellphone including her e-mail and contacts list, but that's a whole other issue, ;) .

Promises, promises, promises.

Wanna take me up on that? I'll show you the difference between promises and reality! poke-poke.gif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Moderator
Your best bet is going to be working out an agreement with your neighbor about which channel you and he should use. It's likely he/she is having the same interference problems you are. I had to do that with my next door neighbor and since then things have been great. Of course I still have access to her unsecured BlueTooth cellphone including her e-mail and contacts list, but that's a whole other issue, ;) .

Wanna take me up on that? I'll show you the difference between promises and reality! poke-poke.gif

All of my neighbors are a few hundred feet away. There have been times that I've seen as many as four others online at the same time as me, all just far enough away to show a weak signal. One or two bars with the occasional third bar. All have a secure network except one.

The closet neighbor to me is a restaurant/bar, just across the street. If he's got a network set up, it's not for public use, I don't see people carrying laptops in.

You should make promises you can't keep. I will promise you this, I won't make you any promises. :P

You should make promises you can't keep. I will promise you this, I won't make you any promises. :P

The sad thing for me is you're joking around and I'm serious. You're handsome, intelligent, the perfect age for me. I'll bet we have lots of other things in common too. I could probably even fix your WiFi problems. Ah well, I guess some things were meant to remain fantasies. :(

Edited by GaryInMiami
Gee, you're no fun. Email me at the addy listed below and I'll send you another one. Or you can get from Tim.

I'm no fun? I'm not the one who shattered my fantasies! poke-poke.gif

What are you going to send me another one of? A shattered fantasy? :P

I've already gotten a shattered fantasy from Tim. He refuses to have my child. :P

Oh, maybe you've got more pix to send me. Look for an e-mail from me shortly. ;)

As we agreed in PM, if it ain't broke don't fix it. You've got a solid system and the new video card will make things perfect again. The next time I get a used laptop I'll keep you in mind. My sister, brother-in-law and their family are a non-stop supply of one year old state of the art laptops. The lappies get clogged up with all kinds of spyare/adware/etc. until the system slows to the point of being unusable. Since they won't abide by my instructions on how to use the computers safely I won't provide tech support. So once a year the whole family gets new laptops and I get the old ones. Sweet deal, eh? I've been able to provide lots of friends with great laptops. Being generous is part of my nature and it doesn't come with any strings attached.

BTW, there's noting quite as nice as dual monitors. I've got twin 22" flat screen LCDs and it's so nice. I keep Outlook and other stuff on one monitor and everything else on the other monitor. When I'm working on beta-reading or editing I keep a browser open in one monitor to all my reference material (dictionary, writing guides, etc.) and the other monitor has Word open to the story I'm working on. Sweet! Definitely consider it CJ. LCD monitors are so darned cheap these days.

Wow, thank you Gary!!!

I think my laptop is younger than 10, actually... Near as I can tell it was manufactured in early 2000, according to some of the lables and copyright stuff. For some reason I had ten years in my head.. Ah well, I never claimed to be able to count. :) Actually, it isn't that bad except for the battery being dead. That makes it a pain for travel. A new battery would cost an arm and a leg, not worth it for this old clunker IMHO.

I just thought I had heard Windows 2000 being mentioned before. That would mean there's a serious need for an upgrade. :P

Nope! I have XP on disk; I just won't install it on my main system. 2k does pretty much everything XP does, and with less system overhead. I put XP on my laptop after a HD failure mainly just to have a look at it. I think the laptop came with Millenium, which I loathed. As for Vista, no way! not now, not ever, not even if they paid me. :)

I am not sure, again I am saying this from what I have heard from my friends.... XP is not the most stable platform, Windows 98 was (due to the immense time it was supported by MS, same is the case with XP). And if I am not wrong, XP is based on the NT platform...

I think I should not venture into a topic that I am not familiar with. There are far more experienced and well informed people here who can answer this topic in a much better way. Plus, I am sleep deprived so that makes me all the more incomprehensible..

Exactly my point....though, XP would work fine as well...but if my memory is working fine at this hour of the night, CJ's laptop is 10 years old, and running XP on that ancient ( :P ) thing would not be advisable...

Yawn!

BeaStKid

In my opinion, Vista is the worst, XP is better, and 2k is at least as stable as XP, maybe better for some hardware. And both 2k and XP are based on the NT kernal. 2k and XP are very similar systems. And by all means, venture in, that' sthe only way to learn! Hope you slept well. :)

BTW, XP does run on my ancient laptop. My much newer and more powerful main system runs 2k. :)

The main issue I have is that if I try upgrading from 2k to xp, I'll likely lose my main windows install; its a little cranky as is and my hunch is it wouldn't survive and I'd have to do a clean install. It has a plethora of hacks and changes. I don;t want the hastle of re-inesalling everything (I have tons of software) and re-hacking the OS. I might upgrade one of my partitions to XP, just to have a look. (I have multi-book, four different bootable partitions on my system).

BTW, my new graphics card has arrived in town. (I can't get fedex out here, so i have it deleivered to town). I'm leaving in about ten minutes to go get it. :)

I hope everyone appreciates the effort you went through to get this card delivered during a holiday weekend and installed in enough time to post 41 on-time. WTG Goat! I guess we'll put the BBQ supplies away for now. ;)

I hope everyone appreciates the effort you went through to get this card delivered during a holiday weekend and installed in enough time to post 41 on-time. WTG Goat! I guess we'll put the BBQ supplies away for now. ;)

never! preparedness is key ;)

Since they won't abide by my instructions on how to use the computers safely I won't provide tech support.

I have a tech savvy friend who is similarly disposed...most be a common thing :boy:

LOL, personally speaking I'm a bit of a lazy computer owner. My general strategy is to just leave it the hell alone until it breaks beyond repair and then go buy a new one. 0:)

I'm just glad sex isn't as complicated as computers are.

It's similar really...you can't do anything without a decent hard drive.

Just a quick update... My new card is in, and although i have some driver updating to do, etc, it's working and I can use the system. (I'm on it now). :)

WOOO HOOOO!

Congrats, CJ! :2thumbs:

• Site Moderator

If I could make a suggestion CJ, get as flash drive or two to keep your stories on. Then you can work on another computer. I do that for all the stories I work on.

If I could make a suggestion CJ, get as flash drive or two to keep your stories on. Then you can work on another computer. I do that for all the stories I work on.

I do that...it's quite nifty... :)

It's similar really...you can't do anything without a decent hard drive.

That is an excellent double entendre! :evil:

Yes, I agree with everyone that I'm glad you, CJ, were able to post 41 in time. It was certainly a good read. I have issues with my own graphics. There is still a driver issue. :angry:

Kevin, most of my tech savvy friends are similarly disposed. We simply get tired of being called on to fix problems that never should happen in the first place if safe computing practices are used.

MikeL, it must be the geek in me but sex is way more complicated than computers. ;)

Do you all really mean a flash drive? Those are still horribly expensive. I'm guessing you mean something like an SD-RAM card. That makes a lot of sense. Especially in CJ's case cause he'd be able to sit outdoors on one of his cliffs and write stories using his laptop. :P

MikeL, it must be the geek in me but sex is way more complicated than computers. ;)

Most geeks I know, like engineers, tend to make things more complicated than they actually are. Not complaining about certain professions; if it weren't for geeks and engineers, we wouldn't have computers.

Most geeks I know, like engineers, tend to make things more complicated than they actually are. Not complaining about certain professions; if it weren't for geeks and engineers, we wouldn't have computers.

If it weren't for sex we wouldn't have any geeks or engineers. :P

Kevin, most of my tech savvy friends are similarly disposed. We simply get tired of being called on to fix problems that never should happen in the first place if safe computing practices are used.

Do you all really mean a flash drive? Those are still horribly expensive. I'm guessing you mean something like an SD-RAM card. That makes a lot of sense. Especially in CJ's case cause he'd be able to sit outdoors on one of his cliffs and write stories using his laptop. :P

I think they meant thumb drives/pen drives...

I think they meant thumb drives/pen drives...

That would work well too. Those things have gotten so inexpensive since I bought my first one that held 128MB and cost close to US$200.

That would work well too. Those things have gotten so inexpensive since I bought my first one that held 128MB and cost close to US$200.

Yea I remeber my first 1gb usb drive it was around 90 bucks in 05.

My latest Kingston 4Gb pendrive cost me Rs.850....essentially $20... :P which now costs 750 ($17)...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..