Financially unstable need advice!

x Trevor x

I'll go ahead and throw my bit of advice in...

When they tell you they're not hiring, come back in a few days and ask again. Repeat, over and over again. When employers think you really want/need the job they're more likely to give you a shot.

Also, really target jobs working as a waitor in a restaurant, particularly near the highway/interstate if possible. I have a job working at a Bob Evans restaurant and every night I go home with money in my pocket. Tips usually run between 30 and 50 per night for me. Its not glamorous work, but its not aweful either.

If you're sharing an apartment, setting the thermostat up a couple degrees may help lower your electric. You need to eat, so if you've got a gas stove there's not a whole lot you can do, but if your hot water heater runs on gas you might be able to cut that bill down a bit by taking quicker showers. Grocery-wise... Wal-mart is your friend.

I can only speak for myself, but I suspect you'll find this helping attitude prevalent amongst GA members.

You don't need to say anything. Just get your ass in gear and find out how to get your GED.

My payback will be seeing a copy of your first decent paycheck from a stable job.

Look at it this way. I've had a long and successful life. I've always enjoyed helping kids. You won't be the first or the last young man I help. I'm about to put a young man through college. I sort of feel like I have an obligation to help out when I can, and I'm glad I can do so.

It really doesn't matter to me how well I know you. All I need to know is you're young, in need of some help to get you to a point where you can stand on your own, and whatever I can do within reason to facilitate that is worth it to me.

Wow your putting a guy through college? That is completely amazing. Honestly it is I never really thought I could be touched so much by a person who helps people but I am truely touched. It's hard to find people like that in this world most can be really selfish. I like to help people to when I can. I have some friends who are going through a difficuilt time with living arrangements. I want to help them and considering letting them stay here but it's low income so I'd have to work through some things first but I hope I can help them. With the way the worlds getting I honestly think everyones going to have to pitch in and start helping everyone it's the way it should have always been.

While I agree with James and Gary about the importance of getting your GED, I agree that it is a "longer" term goal. Persuing a GED is not going to put food on the table or keep the lights on tomorrow. For that, all you can do is keep cutting back and keep trying to find a job.

I am curious if you are trying to talk to these managers before or after turning in your applications. It is better, in general, to talk to them first. Let then get to know you, even if it is a 1 minute conversation, if you come across as a very polite young man you might leave an impression on them that will remain while they read the application. Be sure to say your name clearly when you talk to them and thank them for their time. Unless the app is electronic, try to turn it in directly to the person you talked to and preferably the next day at the latest.

I should add that I saw an interesting commerical from the Govenor of Virginia. It seems as though the Commonwealth in collaboration with Cox (better known as Cocks to those of us who have ever been stuck with it) and Comcast have started putting GED training programs in their "On Demand" area. I don't know where you are, but I have discovered that the best way to find something is to actually start looking for it.

I actually try to talk to them at the time of handing in the application. I'm naturally a very shy person so I'm not really good of a conversation starter most I manage to say is that I really need the job then I cant really think of anything else to say. Most of the time when I turn in an app I hope they start asking questions. Thats the best way for me to converse is by answering questions because then I'm more on the submissive side of the conversation. I warm up to people once I start spending more time with them and I think I could handle an interview pretty well since it'd be the employer asking me questions but I never seem to get called in for an interview

Also, really target jobs working as a waitor in a restaurant, particularly near the highway/interstate if possible. I have a job working at a Bob Evans restaurant and every night I go home with money in my pocket. Tips usually run between 30 and 50 per night for me. Its not glamorous work, but its not aweful either.

Ash, it's honest work and that's all that really counts. I'm proud of you for doing what's necessary to make ends meet. thumbs-up.gif

One question I don't think we've dealt with yet. Do you have a car or do you have to rely on public transportation?

Wow your putting a guy through college? That is completely amazing. Honestly it is I never really thought I could be touched so much by a person who helps people but I am truely touched.

I neglected to mention the guy is my soon to be adopted son. I've been wanting to foster him since we first met when he was 16 but it never worked out. He'll be 18 in November and will be coming to live with me. He wants me to adopt him and take my last name.

I actually try to talk to them at the time of handing in the application. I'm naturally a very shy person so I'm not really good of a conversation starter most I manage to say is that I really need the job then I cant really think of anything else to say.

Spend some of your idle time putting together a script of sorts. Memorize the things you need to say to start and maintain a conversation with your prospective employer. That way you won't have to worry about your shyness quite as much. BTW, never start the conversation by telling the prospective employer you really need the job. The employer already knows that. Instead use your script to focus on what you think you have to offer on a personal/professional basis.

Edited by GaryK

Ash, it's honest work and that's all that really counts. I'm proud of you for doing what's necessary to make ends meet. thumbs-up.gif

One question I don't think we've dealt with yet. Do you have a car or do you have to rely on public transportation?

I neglected to mention the guy is my soon to be adopted son. I've been wanting to foster him since we first met when he was 16 but it never worked out. He'll be 18 in November and will be coming to live with me. He wants me to adopt him and take my last name.

Spend some of your idle time putting together a script of sorts. Memorize the things you need to say to start and maintain a conversation with your prospective employer. That way you won't have to worry about your shyness quite as much. BTW, never start the conversation by telling the prospective employer you really need the job. The employer already knows that. Instead use your script to focus on what you think you have to offer on a personal/professional basis.

Thats awesome I really want to adopt a kid to but I'm kind of hesitent on it as I've never really had much knowledge on the adoption process or anything like that but I really want a kid. Transportation we have one car.

I actually try to talk to them at the time of handing in the application. I'm naturally a very shy person so I'm not really good of a conversation starter most I manage to say is that I really need the job then I cant really think of anything else to say. Most of the time when I turn in an app I hope they start asking questions. Thats the best way for me to converse is by answering questions because then I'm more on the submissive side of the conversation. I warm up to people once I start spending more time with them and I think I could handle an interview pretty well since it'd be the employer asking me questions but I never seem to get called in for an interview

Gary's right; it's good to practice if it doesn't come naturally.

*walk up to employer*

"Hi, how are you doing today?

*big smile and good eye contact, look like you expect an answer*

"I'm doing well (in most cases he/she will politely inquire back)"

*keep smiling*

"My name is 'FallingStar'. Looks like you guys are pretty busy today so I don't want to bother you. Here's my application; I hope to hear back from you! Have a great day!"

*More smiles and eye contact*

If the person told you his/her name say, "Have a great day, 'John'" or "Thanks Susan". If it looks possible and fairly natural go for a handshake.

Gary's right; it's good to practice if it doesn't come naturally.

*walk up to employer*

*big smile and good eye contact, look like you expect an answer*

*keep smiling*

*More smiles and eye contact*

If the person told you his/her name say, "Have a great day, 'John'" or "Thanks Susan". If it looks possible and fairly natural go for a handshake.

Hi "Falling Star",

practice and trust yourself !

The employer want to know if you are the best for the job, and not that you need the job !

Dont forget : the first impression (the first 2 minutes) depends not only from what you say. The body "attitude" (staying straight ( B) ), looking in the eyes, showing "confidence", smiling) is also very important.

do like actors do : make a rehearsal, with a friend as employer.

And dont forget to tell us how do you feel and if you got the job !

Take care, dont give up .

We are all with you.

Old Bob (I suppose the eldest of the family :P )

I'll go ahead and throw my bit of advice in...

When they tell you they're not hiring, come back in a few days and ask again. Repeat, over and over again. When employers think you really want/need the job they're more likely to give you a shot.

B) .......I had to laugh when I read that part, I did that for a job I wanted real bad and it worked!!! After a couple weeks, the next time they saw me come in, I was told to report to a section. She later told me she was dreading coming in and seeing me there. :P