Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

CJ's Shorts

Having now had a good rummage through CJ's shorts (ooer-missus!), I thought that it would be a reasonable idea to present my observations here. The title of this little treatise is 'Regarding the development of the writing of the noted author CJames as exemplified by his short stories'. However, I couldn't fit all that into the thread title box!

:)

The first of CJ's shorts that I examined was 'Requiem'.

Normally I don't enjoy second person stories. This is not a matter of principle but because generally I've found that when I read a second person story it usually either hasn't grabbed and held my attention or it has irritated me. So it seems that it is difficult for an author to produce a second person narrative that succeeds for me. Anyway, I read Requiem and enjoyed it - CJ certainly managed to make second person work for me! Also, I enjoy short stories like Requiem which have a little piquancy.

The second story I read was 'The Muse'. In an earlier thread I've already expressed my appreciation of the 'The Muse' and cleverness CJ showed in poking fun both at the horror genre and the 'rules' regarding mixing different narrative POVs. Therefore I won't go into further detail here.

Then I decided to examine CJ's other shorts in chronological order. (No I didn't get to the bottom of the laundry basket!) :)

My favourite by far is 'Three for Jake'. That is one of the best short stories I've read in a long time. The way CJ tell's the story so intimately to the reader, making him his confidante, is really engaging and I love the writing style and 'voice' he's developed since the first story. 'No Shirt, No Problem'.

Now, as we all know, a reader's favourite story is often related at least as much to his interest in the subject matter as it is to the quality of the writing. For example, no matter how brilliant the writing in a Western story I will find it very hard to like a story about cowboys, horses and suchlike. That is just personal taste. No doubt few people will get really excited by a story about a game of cricket, no matter how wonderful the writing. :)

Anyway, I loved TfJ both because of the excellent writing and because of the subject matter. Also, unusually for me, I didn't predict the ending. :)

Overall, the order of my preference for CJ's short stories (i.e. not counting Ice Blink) is: TfJ (top), Requiem (second), The Muse, Category 5 and NSNP.

It is obvious to me that CJ's writing skills improved almost beyond recognition in the relatively short time from NSNP to TfJ. It was clear in NSNP that he was a good storyteller who can grab and hold the reader's attention. However, it seems he had the same problem with NSNP that I had with my first story - Too Many Words! :) For example, my opinion is that the NSNP would have be much improved if CJ had missed out the whole section between 'LA was hectic...' and '... to eat on the road'.

Apart from writing skills, CJ has also become more much more original in the story lines and characters since 'NSNP. TfJ shows that he can now come up with stunningly original plots and unique characters, and he also now gets to the essence and heart of his story with no excess verbiage. :)

So to conclude my treatise on CJ's shorts:

The chronological sequence shows the development of CJames from being a good storyteller to being an excellent author. The amazing thing is that such a large improvement took place in such a relatively short time.

Kit

• Site Administrator

What he said :P

Seriously, I agree. He's developed as an author quite quickly, and I think he's now a rock solid established quality writer. If I've got a complaint, it's that I think his novels are better published in a single hit, like a print novel, so that they can be read from start to finish without interruption. I think the impact would be stronger that way.

Having said that, I would be unhappy if he decided not to post his next novel for a few months because of that advice. Given the lengths of his novels, and his writing pace, they take six or more months to write and I'm not sure I'd like a break for that length of time :D

Having now had a good rummage through CJ's shorts (ooer-missus!), I thought that it would be a reasonable idea to present my observations here. The title of this little treatise is 'Regarding the development of the writing of the noted author CJames as exemplified by his short stories'. However, I couldn't fit all that into the thread title box!

:)

The first of CJ's shorts that I examined was 'Requiem'.

Normally I don't enjoy second person stories. This is not a matter of principle but because generally I've found that when I read a second person story it usually either hasn't grabbed and held my attention or it has irritated me. So it seems that it is difficult for an author to produce a second person narrative that succeeds for me. Anyway, I read Requiem and enjoyed it - CJ certainly managed to make second person work for me! Also, I enjoy short stories like Requiem which have a little piquancy.

The second story I read was 'The Muse'. In an earlier thread I've already expressed my appreciation of the 'The Muse' and cleverness CJ showed in poking fun both at the horror genre and the 'rules' regarding mixing different narrative POVs. Therefore I won't go into further detail here.

Then I decided to examine CJ's other shorts in chronological order. (No I didn't get to the bottom of the laundry basket!) :)

My favourite by far is 'Three for Jake'. That is one of the best short stories I've read in a long time. The way CJ tell's the story so intimately to the reader, making him his confidante, is really engaging and I love the writing style and 'voice' he's developed since the first story. 'No Shirt, No Problem'.

Now, as we all know, a reader's favourite story is often related at least as much to his interest in the subject matter as it is to the quality of the writing. For example, no matter how brilliant the writing in a Western story I will find it very hard to like a story about cowboys, horses and suchlike. That is just personal taste. No doubt few people will get really excited by a story about a game of cricket, no matter how wonderful the writing. :)

Anyway, I loved TfJ both because of the excellent writing and because of the subject matter. Also, unusually for me, I didn't predict the ending. :)

Overall, the order of my preference for CJ's short stories (i.e. not counting Ice Blink) is: TfJ (top), Requiem (second), The Muse, Category 5 and NSNP.

It is obvious to me that CJ's writing skills improved almost beyond recognition in the relatively short time from NSNP to TfJ. It was clear in NSNP that he was a good storyteller who can grab and hold the reader's attention. However, it seems he had the same problem with NSNP that I had with my first story - Too Many Words! :) For example, my opinion is that the NSNP would have be much improved if CJ had missed out the whole section between 'LA was hectic...' and '... to eat on the road'.

Apart from writing skills, CJ has also become more much more original in the story lines and characters since 'NSNP. TfJ shows that he can now come up with stunningly original plots and unique characters, and he also now gets to the essence and heart of his story with no excess verbiage. :)

So to conclude my treatise on CJ's shorts:

The chronological sequence shows the development of CJames from being a good storyteller to being an excellent author. The amazing thing is that such a large improvement took place in such a relatively short time.

Kit

Kit.. Wow, thank you!!!

Indeed I did have problems with "too many words" in NSNP (and also in the early parts of my novel "For the Love". I had no idea how to advance time, so it ended up being linear, and way too wordy.

I love using short stories as a means for trying new things. For example, "The Muse" was my first try at third person, and "Requiem" my first try at second. I originally envisioned and outlined Requiem in third person, then in first, but Second seemed a better fit. Graeme helped me on the tenses (and much else) with that; the tenses in second person are a little different, and tricky.

Three for Jake was largely written while I was drunk. LoL. I'd been at a neighbor's party, doing tequila shooters. To be honest, the ending surprised me too; I had no idea where I was going with it when I started it, which is unusual for me; on novels, I tend to write at least a draft of the epilogue right around the time I'm writing chapter one.

I'm still learning, and I've got a long ways to go, but I'm having loads of un along the way. :)

BTW, speaking of "three for Jake", that short story is not a prologue for "Jake", a serial I'm working on and hope to begin posting soon. :)

What he said :P

Seriously, I agree. He's developed as an author quite quickly, and I think he's now a rock solid established quality writer. If I've got a complaint, it's that I think his novels are better published in a single hit, like a print novel, so that they can be read from start to finish without interruption. I think the impact would be stronger that way.

Having said that, I would be unhappy if he decided not to post his next novel for a few months because of that advice. Given the lengths of his novels, and his writing pace, they take six or more months to write and I'm not sure I'd like a break for that length of time :D

Thank you Graeme!!

I've had a great deal of help along the way. :)

I do try and write serials to be like a print novel rather than weekly serials, and I agree, I'd do better if I finished them completely prior to posting. But, for me, so much of my drive to write is the fun I have in this forum, so I know my pace would slow down.

CJ :)

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..