It

old bob

In my country, the Independence Day (1th of August) is an important Anniversary. We celebrate the signature of The Federal Charter or Letter of Alliance, which documents the Eternal Alliance or League Of The Three Forest Cantons, the union of three cantons in what is now central Switzerland, traditionally dated in early August, 1291. The league was set up as a league for defense purposes against any attacker, probably prompted by the death of Rudolf I of Habsburg on 15 July 1291.

On August the first, the whole country gathers in public places around bonfires and listens to speeches about the independence of the country from the Austrian rulers, which started with the Gr

The Fourth of July represents the day when the United States declared itself independent of England in defiance of the crown. Fireworks, to me, represent two things. The first is the firing of muskets as the colonists fought the British in an attempt to finally be free from tyranny. The other is the fact that fireworks are now part of celebrations. I, for one, am proud to live in this country, and I always remember the sacrifices of the colonists on Independence Day. If not for them, we would probably be part of The Commonwealth of Nations. The US would not have been able to have the success it has had.

As for this Fourth of July, there isn't much of anything special planned. We usually have a cook-out at my aunt's house, but she is going to be having surgery.

Edited by Tiger

What I will do on Fourth of July is that I plan to go to a family reunion for the first time to meet some of the family I never met before I go off to DC for six years of college...

I have about 35 cousins in my family.

This year I think im going to do nothing maybe go and watch some fireworks near by. Usally there's a party ore we watch right next to he Arlington cemetery there's a park right next to it.

I don't think we'll do anything. We're just happy to have an extra day off work. The fireworks are always so crowded that we stay home and just watch them from our 2nd floor window. I might buy some sparklers. I used to love those things as a kid, but California is such a fire hazzard this time of year that maybe they don't even sell them anymore.

One year when I was a teenager, we drove across the state line and bought a bunch of serious fireworks and damn near blew ourselves up lighting them. Bottle rockets and M-80s. We used to put a coffee can over an M-80 and blow it inside out. A kid I went to school with blew off two of his fingers when he didn't let go of one quick enough.

We always fly the flag and I do give some thought to what the day means. The United States is a great place to live.

We'll have our annual cookout with family and friends. Then when it gets dark, my husband will set off tons of very illegal fireworks. He likes the kind that shoot up in the air and go boom. Our local police department is kind of used to this - we've been doing it for years - so usually a crusier just parks down the block to keep an eye on things and enjoy the show. We always have to warn new people to the neighborhood so they don't complain. B)

Got you beat. I have upwards of 50. On my Mom's side. Of course, my Dad's side only adds another 10 or so. In all fairness, you're the only person that's come close. And that forces me to add the cousins we don't talk about to the total.

As for me, I'll be working most of that week, including the 4th itself.

Edited by B1ue

I will also add that before Independence day, there will be Canada Day on July 1st. What it means to me,,, well, it's either driving to ottawa and watch all the Canada day show on parliament hill and all the events related over there (snowbirds, cannons shots,,,,) or it's going to old montreal assisting to all the activities over there; looking at the army trucks, EATING some of the free cake there and moreover having some good time.

(tho I'll add that it's the official moving day for so many people in quebec, thanks god, for Jason, it's tomorrow)

I have some Canadian friends who will actually be celebrating Canada Day in New York next week. For the 4th, I'll be watching the fireworks from a friend's house. Macy's always puts a big fireworks show over the East River in Manhattan.

People are already annoying me with their Fireworks, and we don't have any close neighbors so I'm having to go investigate to see if they're actually on their land or mine.. bleh.. and I'll actually be alone for the 4th of July. My family have officially started their Vacation to Hawaii. So this holiday has always been my favorite for that reason. I don't have to cook for a lot of people or light those scary fireworks off in the field.... shew.. So I'll definitely be going out with David some since he's taking the whole first full week of July away from work. Just sitting around and relaxing will be quite nice. :)

My summer class ends the day before and that's a reason to be happy and celebrate. As of now I don't have any real plans. This summer is busy with renovating my apartment and helping my parents fix their own house. So I'll spend the long weekend helping out around the house and then packing for a small vacation to Florida starting the 6th. Whooo!

It's not a holiday I really get into. Actually I don't really get into any holidays that much. I guess Christmas and New Year's a little but I think most of the things holidays are supposed to symbolize -- like say love-Valentine's day, Nature (or Jesus' resurrection if you're Christian)-Easter, Mother/Father's day - appreciation of parents, Thanksgiving - gratitude, or in the case of the 4th of July - freedom, -- are things that people should value and appreciate all year round if they're things they're going to value and appreciate at all.

Christmas is so big and commercial that it's hard not to 'notice it', similarly while I also agree that New Year's is more of the same by essentially being about new beginnings and hope (as I interpret it), those do happen to be things that I don't mind having a tangible day for. I mean of course you can celebrate new beginnings anytime, but since it is a NEW beginning - i.e. something new will happen (or old things won't happen) after this point - it makes sense to have a concrete 'starting reference' for it, at least it does in my head.

On that point, it's interesting to note that perhaps my favourite holiday in terms of me making a special effort to 'get into the spirit of it' (I do try to live the values of the other holidays that I believe in everyday) is Halloween! This makes sense to me because Halloween isn't about taking note of things you should be noticing and doing all year round anyway; it's about dressing up, performing 'rituals' that aren't daily activities, and generally trying to have a good time. It'll never be such that people will conclude they should always be going to costume parties and giving kids they don't know candy, so I love the idea of specifically doing it once a year. By the same token I like Saint Patrick's day because it's fun to live the green theme for a day. (but really I wish we had a 'blue' holiday as well)

Independence and freedom should be valued and expressed year round as should family, gratitude, love, nature, hope, etc. So I don't mind that there are specific days that remind people do value these things - indeed I think that's great - but I don't get particularly involved in them or especially moved by them beyond just taking them as a little reminder...and often being slightly annoyed by the disruption of everyday life. (I really can't stand it when places are closed or close early, or when organizations and things alter their schedules).

Now if you want to talk about partying I'm all on board :lol:

Sure, I'm happy to use the 4th of July as an excuse to get together with friends and have a special meal and maybe a few drinks. But again, I think that ideally that's something which people shouldn't need an excuse or holiday to do anyway.

Just my thoughts, but if you are getting into, happy early 4th to you!

-Kevin

It's not a holiday I really get into. Actually I don't really get into any holidays that much.........

Now if you want to talk about partying I'm all on board :lol: ......

Sure, I'm happy to use the 4th of July as an excuse to get together with friends and have a special meal and maybe a few drinks. But again, I think that ideally that's something which people shouldn't need an excuse or holiday to do anyway.

-Kevin

Kevin, you are the best :worship:

I always wonder how you find the exact words to express your opinion. If you were interested in a politic career, and a wealthy one, your gift would be to become the assistant of a "big fish", writing all his speeches, staying in the shadow but earning all the profits of his successes.

IMO, independence days have rather a sense when the "fatherland" is in danger, like it was for us in 1940/41, when the Nazis prepared the invasion of Switzerland. The 1rst of August was the occasion to strengthen the will of resistance against them. But USA was never in such a position since 1770 :P . So their citizens are no more aware of the sense of the 4th of July :( .

Nevertheless, I wish you a nice "get together" with friends, a delightful special meal and not only a few drinks :lol: .

Kevin, you are the best :worship:

I always wonder how you find the exact words to express your opinion. If you were interested in a politic career, and a wealthy one, your gift would be to become the assistant of a "big fish", writing all his speeches, staying in the shadow but earning all the profits of his successes.

Awww thanks, Old Bob! :wub::D:*)

To be honest with you I think it's merely a patience and determination to clarify my position as much as possible. What truly amazes me is how so many people in general, and so many members around here specifically, are able to be so clear and concise while maintaining a brevity of length. That gift is certainly not mine; I can usually express myself pretty well, but rarely am I able to do it with a minimum of words.

An attempt with the above text:

"Thanks, I'm amazed at how effectively some members can communicate while maintaining concision; I can't do that"

IMO, independence days have rather a sense when the "fatherland" is in danger, like it was for us in 1940/41, when the Nazis prepared the invasion of Switzerland. The 1rst of August was the occasion to strengthen the will of resistance against them. But USA was never in such a position since 1770 :P . So their citizens are no more aware of the sense of the 4th of July :( .

That is a good point, and while I could be mistaken, it seems like the 4th has taken on added significance since the war here began. Granted we aren't in danger of an imminent invasion at this time (at least in my opinion), but I think it has bolstered patriotism a bit nevertheless.

Nevertheless, I wish you a nice "get together" with friends, a delightful special meal and not only a few drinks :lol: .

Thanks! I suspect I will get to have such festivities! :D0:)

-Kevin

Edited by AFriendlyFace

My dad is going to fire up the grill (He is probably going to make my light it up and get my arm hair singed off again -_- ) and cook some meat. After that, I think we are going to the hospital i used to volunteer at since they have a huge fireworks show every year.

-Jules

LOL, awww, you guys are going to have so much fun during the 4th of July, haha, while I have to prepare for a college exam on the very same day, LOL. Nevertheless, happy 4th of July everyone!!! YAY!!! :D hehehe

On that point, it's interesting to note that perhaps my favourite holiday in terms of me making a special effort to 'get into the spirit of it' (I do try to live the values of the other holidays that I believe in everyday) is Halloween! This makes sense to me because Halloween isn't about taking note of things you should be noticing and doing all year round anyway; it's about dressing up, performing 'rituals' that aren't daily activities, and generally trying to have a good time. It'll never be such that people will conclude they should always be going to costume parties and giving kids they don't know candy, so I love the idea of specifically doing it once a year. By the same token I like Saint Patrick's day because it's fun to live the green theme for a day. (but really I wish we had a 'blue' holiday as well)

Now if you want to talk about partying I'm all on board :lol:

-Kevin

B) ..............Hey, I agree with you on Halloween, It is my favorite holiday of the year, as for the 4th? Bar-b-que and watch the neighbors try to outdo each other in blowing up the most.

Bar-b-que and watch the neighbors try to outdo each other in blowing up the most.

LOL, I think barbecue is a bit less exciting for vegetarians. You also have to go out in the 'burbs to see non-official, city sanctioned fireworks. It'll mean a day off of work though, so that's a big plus :great:

LOL, I think barbecue is a bit less exciting for vegetarians. You also have to go out in the 'burbs to see non-official, city sanctioned fireworks. It'll mean a day off of work though, so that's a big plus :great:

B) ........I'm pretty much out of the city, more like in the boonies.

What I will do on Fourth of July is that I plan to go to a family reunion for the first time to meet some of the family I never met before I go off to DC for six years of college...

Got you beat. I have upwards of 50. On my Mom's side. Of course, my Dad's side only adds another 10 or so. In all fairness, you're the only person that's come close. And that forces me to add the cousins we don't talk about to the total.

As for me, I'll be working most of that week, including the 4th itself.

Wow! Should I be jealous? I have one brother and two cousins. With spouses, significant others and offspring, we can only muster 15 at our house. I knew we had a small family, but it's tiny by comparison.

We will eat pork barbecue (Memphis style) and watermelon and all the trimmings and spend a lot of time talking.

Happy Fourth everyone!

Edited by MikeL

Normally I spend the 4th shooting off fireworks. This year I will be working and making time and half ($12.60/hr) since my fireworks buddy is stuck in VA handling a huge speeding ticket and also handling his now wrecked car.

Wow! Should I be jealous? I have one brother and two cousins. With spouses, significant others and offspring, we can only muster 15 at our house. I knew we had a small family, but it's tiny by comparison.

My family is tiny too. We could only round up about 12 AT MOST (and more like 4 or 5)

Oh goodness no. My family is, down to the infants in their cribs, each and every one of us a flaming control freak with a chip on our shoulder. I'm fairly easy going by my family's standards, but my sisters for instance can hold a grudge until it dies of old age, and then have it mummified.

I sometimes wish my family was a bit smaller. Just my immediate family numbers 12: my parents, my two sisters, myself, two spouses, and six nieces. I have another sister and a few more nieces and nephews, but that's the core set.

Happy Birthday, America!

It is now officially the Fourth. I'm pulling an all-nighter tending the smoker and our barbecue pork shoulder. I'll have trouble staying awake this afternoon, especially after a big meal.

Hope everyone has a great day.