Gay Authors Writing Project

Do you write stories and crave real feedback other than 'looks good'?

Do you write stories on your own but fear that they may not be 'good enough' to post?

Are you looking for an editor that will improve your work without making you cry?

Do you cringe at the writing on Nifty, wondering whatever happened to spelling, grammar, characterization or plot?

Do you aspire to be a beloved author so you can establish crazy psycho fanbases that name themselves after you and gently remind you with 2x4s that they can't wait to see the next chapter?

If you answered YES to any of these question, or even if you didn't, the Gay Authors Writing Project (GAWP) may be just for you.

What is GAWP, you may ask? <offstage voice 'What is GAWP?'>

I'm glad you asked! GAWP is an acronym I just made up, but it is far more than that. GAWP is an opportunity for the GA writers to build a community that helps and nurtures aspiring authors in their development, an opportunity for writers to assist one another through constructive feedback and participation, a place where there is nothing but sunshine and happiness and love and puppies (unless you're not into that kind of thing...)

On a more serious note, here are some of my ideas for GAWP:

(1) Private workshops (through private forum thread or live chat) of small author groups sharing their own work with one another;

(2) Private workshops devoted to discussing a more established work, with a thematic focus (on plot, genre, characterization, etc.);

(3) Writing 'exercises' (more directed than challenges) that can help writers work through block, work on technique, and turn into stories;

(4) Forum discussion on tips for writers, on issues like how to conduct research for a story, how to work with an editor, etc.; and

(5) Q&A or interview with hosted author(s) about a particular writing process related concept or a specific written work.

I've discussed this privately with a few of you and gotten positive responses. Now, I'm asking you, whether you are a writer who posts, a writer who doesn't, or a 'writer' who isn't quite writing yet:

Are you interested in GAWP?

What, if anything, appeals to you the most (either from my list of ideas or others you might have on your own)?

My grass roots research suggests that we have a lot to offer one another here and that this project might be of interest to you. But I don't know for sure.

So, what do you think???

Disclaimer: Please realize that while hosted authors are most certainly invited and welcome to join, their participation is not to be assumed or expected any more than any other person. [Meaning: this is not intended to be another way for people to make demands on hosted authors to read their own work, deliver more writing, etc.]

Disclaimer #2: Acronyms aren't really my talent. If enough people like the ideas, but think GAWP sounds stupid, I'm happy dropping the name for something else - or nothing at all.