Mechanics 101 for 10/3‏

Ok, this one has been a thorn in my side ever since high school, and I KNOW some of you have GOT to know this one! Please tell me and the rest of us so I can (hopefully) stop thinking about it while I'm writing! Hehehe!

What are the proper uses and tenses of 'to lay'???

Like...to lay something down. Or to lay back on the bed.

I distinctly remember some of them sounding awkward, and I would never personally 'say' it that way, but when writing, there are definite rules concerning this. There's lay, laid, lain, laying, lays...different tenses and uses! Do any of you know how to clear this up once and for all?

Edited by Comsie

Yeah, lay can be confusing since it can be its own word and is also the past tense of lie.

Lay

Present: lay

Past: laid

Past Participle: have laid

Future: will lay

Lie

Present: lie

Past: lay

Past Participle: have lain

Future: will lie

Edited by Tiger

(HUGE 'AHEM')

Okay!

Lay usually requires an object in the sentence.

Technically speaking, 'lay' is actually the past tense of 'lie'. This is where the confusion arises.

Since lay is a transitive verb, it cant really be used in the position of 'lie' in a sentence. I think we really get confused here:

Proper English:

"Lie down on the couch"

Inproper English:

"Lay down on the couch"

Now, the RIGHT way of saying 'lay' in a sentence is WITH an object:

Proper English:

"Lay down the pencil on the table"

Inproper English:

"Lie down the pencil on the table"

Basically, 'lay' is a transitive (changing form) of the verb 'lie' TO REPLACE it when it is using an object in the sentence!

. . . I think I tangled this up more than helped though. . .

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..