INFORMAL Get-Together - NOW SET - Sun, Jan 18 Noon

Would you go to DC on the 17th or 18th?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Would you go to DC on the 17th or 18th?

• I would definately go, but can only make it on Sat the 17th
    • I would definately go, but can only make it on Sun the 18th
    • I would definately go, and can make the 17 OR the 18th
    • I may be able to go, but not sure at this point
    • There is no way I can go

Not an "official" GA Get-Together (still trying to work on something for later in 2009) BUT:

Dan and I at this point ARE planning on being in Washington, DC for the Inauguration (which is Tuesday, Jan 20). We arrive on Thursday the 15th and take off on Thursday the 22nd.

Considering the crowds expected at the actual Inauguration, figure a time to try to meet up with any other GA members who wanted to - might be best for lunch on Saturday beforehand. Thinking lunch starting 12:30PM somewhere, and if people want to hang around doing something afterwards, could basically just hang around til 4PM or so.

Not sure where - though leaning towards somewhere near the National Mall just cause of the ease of travel via the Metro.

If anyone is interested in attending, post here or send me a PM. AND if anyone has any suggestions for a nice relaxed place to have lunch - post away with that as well.

Robert

*** UPDATE

I want to check before moving forward with this, if Sunday may be a better day for people. If you can take the poll, or if the poll doesn't seem enough and you want to give more feedback, post below or PM me.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to but I would have no place to stay and my semester conveniently (or inconveniently) starts on the 20th. Hotels in and around the area are very expensive... I got lucky in September when I booked a room in MD with a 40% discount, and it was a very nice room.

I would love to but I would have no place to stay and my semester conveniently (or inconveniently) starts on the 20th. Hotels in and around the area are very expensive... I got lucky in September when I booked a room in MD with a 40% discount, and it was a very nice room.

It's the kind of overcrowded weekend where you'd just have to consider bringing a sleeping bag and staying in John's dorm room or something like that.

Dang--Saturday is the one time in the whole four-day weekend when I have a prior commitment (not inaugural-related). Otherwise...

--Rigel (who knows too many good places to gather, but I'm not sure what kind of place y'all want)

It's the kind of overcrowded weekend where you'd just have to consider bringing a sleeping bag and staying in John's dorm room or something like that.

Dang--Saturday is the one time in the whole four-day weekend when I have a prior commitment (not inaugural-related). Otherwise...

--Rigel (who knows too many good places to gather, but I'm not sure what kind of place y'all want)

We tried but the school won't budge on it.

Hmmmmm..... If I get the tickets for inauguration I'll be there with Matt, if not, I'll be in Delaware with him helping a friend move in that weekend so.... chalk me up to maybe.

Cides Trebs... I'm still mad at your for not getting me the Do Over schematics from DK for me :P

Eric :)

I modified this thread to add a poll to see if we got together on Sunday, if it would be better for more people...

And John/Robbie/Eric/Matt - I'm not ignoring your responses - I got something in mind to chat with you about, I've just been out of it for the past few days....

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for letting this hang for a little bit, but it looks clear that Sunday is the better day.

So:

Sunday, January 18th - Noon (til probably 1:30PM if you are driving in/out)

Somewhere in Washington, DC (suggestions???) - thinking either near the mall or near Dupont Circle. Basically just some nice simple (and not too loud) place to grab a table for 10 for lunch.

Known attendees:

Trebs (Robert)

DKstories (Dan)

Sat8997 (Sharon plus Anna)

Rigel

SonoLuminus plus guest

rknapp (Robbie)

**Adding: LittleBuddhaWT (David)

Looks like Rakuten06 (John) won't be able to make it and UEnigma (Eric) is a question mark for right now.

If there is anyone else who would be able to make it - let me know either by posting here or send me a PM.

Sounds good, but considering it's a city we should set up a specific location. I've been to DuPont Circle before and it's not exactly small.

As far as parking is concerned, I think it should seriously be addressed. If you have a hotel with shuttle service to the DC Metro, you can leave your car at the hotel, but if you're driving in like I am then you will have trouble. The last time I tried to find parking in and around DuPont Circle, it was murder. I got lucky just finding street parking right off of Logan Circle when I went there with John. At DuPont Circle I might have parked illegally... not really sure. There are supposedly many parking garages but they were all closed or otherwise unavailable on the Saturday that we were there. You can try to find your own parking, but if it gets too frustrating, Union Station has ample parking in its parking garage ($9). You can then ride the DC Metro to DuPont Circle. The Metro access point for DuPont is only a few paces away.

I used DuPont Circle as an example but any other strikepoint in the city would also have direct Metro access.

There is also the possibility of connecting with each other at Union Station.

Just throwing out ideas... the locals might have better ones lol. I only go to DC once a month during the spring and fall semesters.

Sorry - I should have been clearer - yes, as it gets closer, we'll set an exact site to meet up, specifically whatever place we're having lunch at. At this time, I was just throwing out for planning purposes when and that it likely either be near the Mall or Dupont Circle.

One thing tho that I've done in the past - ONLY those that have confirmed that they are attending will be given the actual meeting location. While ANYONE here is welcome to join us, I will not be posting the actual location just to ensure we know who will be there (ok - it might be slightly paranoid, but basically, no stalkers).

Hey all! You can count me in for Sunday! I'm only a couple metro stops away from Dupont Circle (I'll be coming from the Rockville metro station). Unfortunately, I don't get down to DC too often, so I'm not sure about a good place to eat, but I can ask around work on Monday. A good place to meet up would probably be at the Dupont metro station, and then we can all walk from there.

I haven't been able to get onto GA much lately because work's been crazy, but please send me a PM when everything is confirmed, and I'll make sure to carve a few hours out of my schedule to come hang out. It'll be nice to see Dan, Trebs and Rigel again, and I'm just dying to finally meet the fabulous Sharon! :P

*Hugs*

Buddha

OH GAWD...

I mean - GREAT!!! :P

Though Dan has now been officially notified that he can NOT get drunk with you EVERY single night we are out there (MAX 6 of the 7 nights)... ;)