INFORMAL Get-Together - NOW SET - Sun, Jan 18 Noon

Would you go to DC on the 17th or 18th?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Would you go to DC on the 17th or 18th?

• I would definately go, but can only make it on Sat the 17th
    • I would definately go, but can only make it on Sun the 18th
    • I would definately go, and can make the 17 OR the 18th
    • I may be able to go, but not sure at this point
    • There is no way I can go

It was wonderful getting to meet the people behind all of the virtual monikers IRL. Everyone is even more interesting in real life than they are on the forum, and the extra dimensions aren't just because they are physically present. RKnapp is taller that I imagined he would be; Trebs looks healthier than I imagined he might be. I'll second Sat8897's complaints about the cold--but it didn't seem to bother the birds that flew around inside the hall, and I'll add my own kvetches about the loud (and not very talented) band that was blatting away at great volume, making it hard to converse for a bit. ["Kvetches" is one of those words like "tchotchkes."] And the amethyst items that Trebs picked up do NOT qualify as tchotchkes. (We were discussing that term as we wandered through Union Station, but before the amethyst crystals beamed Trebs into that store like some sci-fi magnetism ray.)

For anyone looking for CJames in DC, the Billy Goat Grill is on New Jersey Avenue, NW.

It's been a strange day being a local surrounded by hordes of tourists, none of whom quite know where they're going or how to get there or how to negotiate the Metro system faregates. They've taken out all of the mailboxes and newspaper vending machines from downtown as security risks, and replaced them with dozens and dozens of port-a-potties. Now I ask you, if you were going to blow something up, wouldn't you rather blow up a port-a-potty and raise a big stink? At least nobody will need to "void where prohibited."

I can hardly wait to meet again.

--Rigel

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only reasons why David and I were on our fairly good behavior were:

1. Lack of alcohol intake

2. The only Joe there was an opinionated heterosexual married to a very beautiful member of this board. Luckily for everyone, Joe and I did not repeat our extended political discussion from the night before. Trebs had been waiting for six years to meet this particular board member in person, and her husband and I seemed to monopolize the conversation.

3. Rknapp looks very nice in person, and is very tall. I think LittleBuddha was intimidated a bit...

As for the amethyst jewelry...there's a reason why Trebs and I are always so poor.

We had a great time meeting everyone as well.The Other Joe says he hopes he didn't annoy or offend anyone with his talkativeness, and he thinks you are all a fantastic bunch of people. (And thanks for the compliment, Dan!)

I'm disappointed I missed the jewelry shopping! Robert, those pendants are gorgeous, and I'd noticed the pretty chain earlier.

Sharon, I think it's safe to say only the men were tall, because I'm barely 5'3" myself. But yeah, a lot of people were taller than I imagined, too.

Dan and LittleBuddha were cute checking out the guys, although I usually couldn't figure out who they were looking at. I think their type is a bit younger and, um, more masculine than my type. (Army uniforms don't do it for me!)

So, we're home now, but after shivering all through lunch, we were looking forward to our nice, warm house, only to discover the heat was broken, and it was only 54 degrees inside. It's fixed now, but it was a cold night.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

AGH!!! I am so late!!!!! I for real am in DC twice a WEEK!!! I wish I had known you were all coming!!!! Next time you guys do a meetup in DC or MD or even VA, I am more than happy to accomodate a few guests!!!

*Uber sad face*