Milk

corvus

Is there a thread on this movie here? I'm kind of bewildered that there isn't -- I'm shocked, really. I just watched it with a couple of straight friends and acquaintances. It wasn't a brilliant film, but it was very well done, very well acted, and about an hour after I got home from watching it, I burst into tears in the shower. I think it was the idea of fighting and the depictions of having made something of one's life and the futility of it -- particularly with the fact that Harvey Milk was assassinated, and with the fact that prop 8 just passed. Or maybe it actually was a brilliant film. In any case, I highly recommend this for everyone. :)

Is there a thread on this movie here? I'm kind of bewildered that there isn't -- I'm shocked, really. I just watched it with a couple of straight friends and acquaintances. It wasn't a brilliant film, but it was very well done, very well acted, and about an hour after I got home from watching it, I burst into tears in the shower. I think it was the idea of fighting and the depictions of having made something of one's life and the futility of it -- particularly with the fact that Harvey Milk was assassinated, and with the fact that prop 8 just passed. Or maybe it actually was a brilliant film. In any case, I highly recommend this for everyone. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing this movie. Someone I know, in America, has seen it and said it was fantastic with great acting.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a thread on this movie here? I'm kind of bewildered that there isn't -- I'm shocked, really.

And I'm a bit bewildered that this thread still hasn't garnered any serious discussion.

It is indeed an excellent film and very relevant in today's times. Oddly, like Corvus I also felt a bit emotional that night in the shower, although I also cried a bit during the actual movie.

Don't miss this one you guys!

-Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

I saw this film about a week or so ago. It really was good. It made me cry both during, and afterwards when I really processed everything.

The thing that really struck me is the good conversation I had with two friends about the film. I know I sound judgemental, but these friends were people who I wouldn't have suspected of being accepting. Its pretty common here in Utah. In fact, only one theatre actually screened Milk that I know of. Anyways, they both thought the film was amazing. They said it had opened their eyes, and especially made them think a little harder about all the events surrounding prop 8 recently.

It changed their viewpoints and made them think a little harder about the subject, so I think the film was a success.

I watched this film in Dallas last weekend with my friends (me and some friends went to Dallas for some R&R before school started again). It was amazing and I cried during and after the film. I thought it was great and sean penn's acting was excellent. My friends and I all agreed that it made us think about our lives. It inspired me to become more involved in the things that I love, and to never allow someone else to judge me for being me. My Dad also went to see the movie after I came out to him a few weeks ago, and said "I'm humbled by the things Harvey Milk did to make life easier for you". Milk only showed in where I live in Oklahoma for maybe 2 weeks at most at one theater. I just wish more people especially in rural/conservative areas had access to this film, so it could change even more people's minds.

I saw this film a while back with my sister and her college friend and there was one striking element in it that we all noticed. The arguments made by the religious right 30 years ago against gay workers' rights are the same exact arguments being made by them now against marriage equality.

In fact my sisters friend brought up ad she said in reference to prop 8. It said:

End slavery - Check

Women's voting rights - Check

Desegregation - Check

Marriage equality - ...

You'd think we'd get it by now...

Edited by rknapp

I loved this movie. Sean Penn was amazing, and the movie was very well directed. I'm pretty sure I had tears during the movie. Even though I knew what was coming, I did not expect it to happen the way it did.

I saw this film about a week or so ago. It really was good. It made me cry both during, and afterwards when I really processed everything.

The thing that really struck me is the good conversation I had with two friends about the film. I know I sound judgemental, but these friends were people who I wouldn't have suspected of being accepting. Its pretty common here in Utah. In fact, only one theatre actually screened Milk that I know of. Anyways, they both thought the film was amazing. They said it had opened their eyes, and especially made them think a little harder about all the events surrounding prop 8 recently.

It changed their viewpoints and made them think a little harder about the subject, so I think the film was a success.

Woo Hoo! That's awesome!

I watched this film in Dallas last weekend with my friends (me and some friends went to Dallas for some R&R before school started again). It was amazing and I cried during and after the film. I thought it was great and sean penn's acting was excellent. My friends and I all agreed that it made us think about our lives. It inspired me to become more involved in the things that I love, and to never allow someone else to judge me for being me. My Dad also went to see the movie after I came out to him a few weeks ago, and said "I'm humbled by the things Harvey Milk did to make life easier for you". Milk only showed in where I live in Oklahoma for maybe 2 weeks at most at one theater. I just wish more people especially in rural/conservative areas had access to this film, so it could change even more people's minds.

Awww :wub:

I saw this film a while back with my sister and her college friend and there was one striking element in it that we all noticed. The arguments made by the religious right 30 years ago against gay workers' rights are the same exact arguments being made by them now against marriage equality.

In fact my sisters friend brought up ad she said in reference to prop 8. It said:

End slavery - Check

Women's voting rights - Check

Desegregation - Check

Marriage equality - ...

You'd think we'd get it by now...

...You would think <_<

:( I guess I will be waiting for the DVD. Not a single theater in this entire F--ked up state showed the film. I would have had to drive 3 hours to New Orleans or 4 hours to Memphis or Little Rock to see it. :angry:

Eugh, that sucks! It's definitely worth the DVD rental/purchase :)

GOT MILK? (Imagine Sean Penn with a Milk Mustache)

Thats my first reaction to the title.

But as soon as I watch the film - It was like watching S.F. coming alive for the first time. Sprouting a newer lifestyle thats never been there before.

Seeing Milk going from a hippie look to looking Steven Jobs (Noah Wyle) look to appeal to the voter public.

His way to reach out to the public - working to bring about change. Voter awareness.

I'm certainly glad the of the film coming out during this time - to re-echo the need in our society to change.

Reaching out to the people.

I watched Milk as soon as it came out and managed to find a cinema out of a few dozens in the city that presents it.

Oh. My. God.

I learnt a lot about the beginning the gay movement in the USA and the world starting with Milk. It's a little surprising that many of the gay movements have their roots in the USA...

I watched Milk as soon as it came out and managed to find a cinema out of a few dozens in the city that presents it.

Oh. My. God.

I learnt a lot about the beginning the gay movement in the USA and the world starting with Milk. It's a little surprising that many of the gay movements have their roots in the USA...

It is indeed considering how many other nations have come so much further. I think part of it is the general attitude of 'the average American.' I think many Americans are resistant to change, have deeply embedded religious issues, and in general somehow feel like it's their right to stick their noses in other people's business. I think many Europeans and Canadians have a more laid-back, do your own thing and I'll mind my own business sort of attitude.

Perhaps these cultural differences both make Americans more prone to activism and more likely to resist it?

I'm supposed to do a report on this movie. Sadly I haven't seen it yet. *slaps myself* I should really watch this movie. Kevin is right about the propensity of activism in the USA. Here's something interesting: in the late 20th Century, new movements such as the "anti-Vietnam war" and "Women Liberation", particularly in the USA, prompted LGBT groups to become more active.

I'm supposed to do a report on this movie. Sadly I haven't seen it yet. *slaps myself* I should really watch this movie. Kevin is right about the propensity of activism in the USA. Here's something interesting: in the late 20th Century, new movements such as the "anti-Vietnam war" and "Women Liberation", particularly in the USA, prompted LGBT groups to become more active.

mmmm let me guess you're lactose intolerant!!! :D:lol:

Its a good film - watch not just because you have too - its the beginnings of what gives San Fransisco - its reputation - a growing cultural identity

Now I wonder the movie "The Pope of Greenwich village" is another??

One day maybe there be a film about Brighton etc.

• 3 weeks later...

MILK was finally available in my town and I saw it this past Saturday with a couple of my female friends. I enjoyed the movie and even teared up a little at the end :( . It's a must see.

Interesting crowd in the theater, there were only 2-3 gay guys (or obviously gay looking guys :P ) and most of the other people were older women.

I couldn't help but draw parallel's to our most recent Prop 8 battle in California. It's really too bad that this movie didn't come out before the election. I think it would have helped mobilize more people before the election as opposed to after.

I posted this link in the Gay Musicians thread, but thought it appropriate here too :D

Milk Screenwriter Dustin Lance Black's Oscar acceptance speech

Edited by NaperVic

It is indeed considering how many other nations have come so much further. I think part of it is the general attitude of 'the average American.' I think many Americans are resistant to change, have deeply embedded religious issues, and in general somehow feel like it's their right to stick their noses in other people's business. I think many Europeans and Canadians have a more laid-back, do your own thing and I'll mind my own business sort of attitude.

Perhaps these cultural differences both make Americans more prone to activism and more likely to resist it?

What's Wrong with your government (Just kidding) haha Gay rights in Canada is definatly prominant indefinatly tho in western Canada (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and British Columbia(B.C)) Gay's arn't seen to often, or at least i've lived in canada my whole life and have never met an outed gay guy, which is sad cuz it seems i'm the only one :'(

But now another question, Can the Government change the outcome for all the states without the stats concent(Through vote)??

As for Milk never seen the movie and not really attracted to do so, gay right's Yippy....not really i think the actor is a bum and to much politics that i see everyday with the stupid canadian government these days.

Anyway Since i'm Canadian i'm Happy to Answer any questions that come my way lol

Gay's arn't seen to often, or at least i've lived in canada my whole life and have never met an outed gay guy, which is sad cuz it seems i'm the only one :'(

Is like the song, hehe, you are the only gay eskimo, joking!

Well, when Sean Penn received his Oscar he gave a speech about equal rights, so films like Milk can turn the tide again in the matter...

Backstage, Dustin Lance Black (openly gay and very cute screenwriter and the othre Oscar winner for Milk) dropped some interesting ideas for how he thought gay civil rights should evolve -- he basically pointed out that no group has ever achieved equal status on a state-by-state basis, and only through a broad, federal action. If one considers that there's a threat from opponents of gay rights to do a blanket ban on gay marriage, it seems strangely amiss that there isn't a counter thrust.

On the other hand, it seems impossible. Harhar.

I was very impressed when this movie won an oscar and then has only been shown in so few theatres. Dissapointing but it will be over some, somehow it was overcame in canada and it's like yeah if i wanted to marry a man i could might as well marry the dog while i'm at it, myself i duno if i would call it exactly marrage, cuz thats what troubles most people is the name....:S Or at least that's what i've heard people state that it should be called something else, when technically it already is, as far as i know i'd introduce my boyfriend (if i ever get one haha) as my partner, not sure about husband, but i'm 18 looking into marrage is far away lol.

Anyway I may watch this movie in time.

Oh my goodness, I am so lame!!! mea culpa! a few months ago I bought a bundle of movies off ebay including Maurice, The Sum of Us, Priscilla and Harvey Milk!!! Have only watched Maurice and the Sum of Us. I will make sure to watch Harvey Milk ASAP!!!! Tisk Tisk for me!!! I've also seeing clips of Priscilla and it looks to be very funny!

I just got back from watching Milk. I think it had a pretty limited release in more rural WI, but one of the theaters in town always shows the Oscar nominees when it's close to the awards.

OH MY GOODNESS!

I had known quite a bit about Milk and his legacy before seeing the film, and was really impressed at how true they were to actual facts. Places resembled the real thing, and it was just quite amazing.

And I cried soooo much. *sigh*