Books

SRevol

I read a lot and I can't remember a lot of the names but here are my favorites.

American Gods

Neverwhere

American God's is one of my favourite's too. Neil Gaiman is an incredible writer. Have you read his collaboration with Pratchett, Good Omens? It mixes Pratchett's humour and Gaiman's sensibility in a really interesting way.

I see a lot of fantasy authors in people's lists but no Ray Feist or Robin Hobb. Admittedly, Feist's stories get a tad silly toward the end of the latest series (he's running out of ideas the poor thing) but his early books, particularly Magician, were great. Robin Hobb is an all-time favourite and if I wasn't gay I'd propose marriage to her. She's a great one to read if you love character driven stories. She has some of the most interesting character relationships of any fantasy author I've ever read, and she twists the heartstrings like no other.

Also, Jacqueline Carey is an interesting fantasy author if you like your fantasy a little twisted. One series features a female prostitute as the heroine and another recreates the LOTR clich

Edited by Wynter

Pardon? :blink:

lol Guys... remember, a GA rule states that we must translate any language you speak into English so everyone can be part of this little convo. :P

Ou est Madame Bovary? = Where is Madame Bovary?

(There should be an accent grave on the u in "ou" though.)

Madam Bovary est dans la chambre....avec le President de Burundi. = Madame Bovary is in the room with the President of Burundi.

(It should be "Madame Bovary est dans la chambre... avec le pr

Edited by Jack Frost

My my my... So much French. I'm in 101 right now, and after just mastering futur proche, my Facebook statuses have been all bilingual.

But I have a looooooong way to go. That keyboard stuff is a PAIN though. ALT codes never want to work right on my laptop.... :(

Anyway, aren't we supposed to be talking about books?

I'm kinda digging Christopther Rice's stuff right now. I really enjoyed The Snow Garden.

I'm reading Madame Bovary for class right now.

It's not bad, and I like the style and find it easy to read, but it's pretty depressing in how dead-on in its assertion is about just how unbelievably shallow and image-concious most people are. They want the fairy tale, and get pissed when it doesn't happen. Or they self-delude themselves into thinking they are living the fairy tale. It's pretty sad how right Flaubert is about the social mores of the aspiring middle classes.

Edited by methodwriter85

If you are looking for a fun, light read that might make you think, consider the Shadow Children series by Margaret Haddix.

I agreed to test read the first book in the series, Among the Hidden, for a jr-high english teacher friend and ended up reading the whole series.

I like books that establish a "consistent universe" that makes sense and Haddix did a very good job. The books are aimed at a teen auidance but they are page turners that deal with universals themes like fear, courage and how ordinary people overcome them and become extroidinary.

This is not, ahummm... literature. It is a fun read for a rainy weekend.

Reading "Bahia de tous les saints" is sure not f**king light.

And I have to read it and write a paper by tomorrow.

BAH

I need a Brazilian who can explain the story to me. But where is s/he???

Am reading, The Vanishing Face of Gaia: A Final Warning by James Lovelock.

This book is really disturbing, as this guy tells us of the dire consequences of global warming. Now you can take what he says at face value or with a pinch of salt, the science fact this book outlines certainly gives me pause for thought.

The Dollmaker - Harriette Simspon Arnow

Hunter's Horn - Harriette Simpson Arnow

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen

Emma - Jane Austen

Mansfield Park - Jane Austen

---Pretty much anything Jane Austen

The Catcher in the Rye - J.D Salinger

To Kill a Mockingbird

particularly Magician, were great

PHFEW!

It was getting toward the end of the thread and i was getting really worried. But i should be able to sleep now :P

MAGICIAN! Is the best fantasy book EVER! :D

Raymond.E.Feist for the win! :P

These books all seem interesting, so I've been making a list of what to read when I have the time.

As of right now, the only books I've been able to read are about 4 textbooks on the different views of world politics and American national security policy.

I'm up to my eyes in Hegemony and Realism. Though strangely I find it a bit interesting. Ah well.

Sarah Monette. A great fantasy writer with straight and gay main characters. And her writings arent fluff, they're actually legitimately good. Her series is called the Doctrine of Labyrinths and includes M

• 2 weeks later...

j'ai voulu toujours lire "les liaisons dangereux"

alors, il n'y a jamais de temps.

on a reading note: i'm finishing up jude the obscure and hoping to start dostoevsky's "demons" (sometimes called the devils or the possessed) soon, and then i have to do a presentation on the crying of lot 49 after easter.