[Jack Frost] The Comfort of a Blanket by Jack Frost

• Site Administrator

The Comfort of a Blanket by Jack Frost

Nicolas Lapointe awakens to a normal day going to school, listening to his mother, amuses himself with his friend, and marvel at the wild lands beyond the city's walls. Then later in the day, his life changes suddenly after becoming closer to a boy named Julien Boucher.

:nuke: :nuke: Spoilers Below!!! :nuke: :nuke:

Edited by Graeme
  • Site Administrator

I don't read period pieces generally, but my wife does and I've watched enough BBC adaptation of Jane Austen novels to recognise what a great job Jack has done with his story. The formal setting and (to our ear) stilted dialogue set the tone wonderfully. The extra narration that set the time period more precisely just added to the atmosphere.

I thought it started a little slow, but then again that's quite normal for this style of story. I certainly enjoyed it, while wondering where it was going.

A great ending and again very much in the period. Scandal was often feared more than anything else. Well done, Jack! :great:

I don't read period pieces generally, but my wife does and I've watched enough BBC adaptation of Jane Austen novels to recognise what a great job Jack has done with his story. The formal setting and (to our ear) stilted dialogue set the tone wonderfully. The extra narration that set the time period more precisely just added to the atmosphere.

I thought it started a little slow, but then again that's quite normal for this style of story. I certainly enjoyed it, while wondering where it was going.

A great ending and again very much in the period. Scandal was often feared more than anything else. Well done, Jack! :great:

I completely agree with Graeme.

Excellent story, Frosty! I thoroughly enjoyed it :)

Thanks for the comments and time to read. :D

This story was influenced by a novel written by a Quebecois with similar timeframe and the art of surprise is close to the same. Except that, I did not allow the boys to suffer the fate seen in the book. The book banished one lover to a mental hospital where he committed suicide and the other got branded by hot iron with a symbol of criminal and banished to an island in the Carribean. So I had an idea and wanted to write a periodic story. Obviously I went light on the boys because I couldn't bear myself to be that mean. ^^

I did throw in several French words, mainly of places. I should add the word "Sauvage" to refer to the natives would literally translate as "Savage", but the French meaning somewhat loses itself in the translation. It means "wild one", such as "wild plants, wild animals, wildflowers...". It doesn't exactly carry a negative connotation in French. I thought I could be clear on that. The French colonists are extremely well-known to have the best relations with the natives compared to other European colonists and this is reflected in the story.

So yeah, apart from being inspired by a novel, the scenery often reflects what used to exist back then. In fact, most of the places mentioned in the story still exist today. The S

Edited by Jack Frost
Thanks for the comments and time to read. :D

This story was influenced by a novel written by a Quebecois with similar timeframe and the art of surprise is close to the same. Except that, I did not allow the boys to suffer the fate seen in the book. The book banished one lover to a mental hospital where he committed suicide and the other got branded by hot iron with a symbol of criminal and banished to an island in the Carribean. So I had an idea and wanted to write a periodic story. Obviously I went light on the boys because I couldn't bear myself to be that mean. ^^

Aww ya bit softy! :wub:

Just to reiterate, I really did thoroughly enjoy this story. I actually wasn't really expecting to either. It's not that I dislike period pieces (really I'm quite neutral about them), but it seemed like the beginning of the story had a great deal of description, particularly of nature, and that's the sort of thing that usually puts me off. In this case though it didn't and once I was into the actual story I found it completely engaging and intriguing. Well done! :D

Somewhat typical of that time. ;)

Yes, from what I know of that period and class the characters were extremely well-depicted and accurate! :worship:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

If the issue was within royalty walls - it would be contained - who would listen to ravings of children.

The blamed would just deny - and - the younger would be dealt with.

But either way - its the trend even now - to try to avoid scandal when one is in the public eye.

hehehe I'm a fan of many kinds of stories - even period pieces.

• 3 months later...

what's the name of the book?

• 2 months later...

Ah, late to the party. Very authentic story, in which the "morality" fit the historical period...at least, in a way I felt it should. Having just finished a chapter on early colonial history, including relationships between the French of North America and the "Indians" of same, it was especially interesting. And a lot more fun to read!

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...