New author

I started writing this almost two months ago. I only have the first chapter done, I had always planned on writing more of it, but school has gotten in the way as well as some unpleasant...events. I was kind of wondering, do any of you sometimes have to force yourself to just sit and write something more? Or do you wait until you're totally comfortable and then write? I know I haven't been in the best mood with things lately, but i can't help but wonder if maybe i should just force out some more. It sounds bad when I say 'force' but that's only for lack of a better term I think. It's not like I have some kind of huge fan following either, so there's no pressure there. Just wondering what some of you think.

In case anyone is interested this is the link to my story: http://www.voy.com/17262/6/11195.html ( um, is this ok posted here? It's in the archives of Com's library forum, but I'm still unsure. I don't wanna step on any toes)

Maybe everyone can muscle me into writing more, I'm just not sure. Also, on a side note, how the crap do I change the thing on the side to say that I'm an author now too??? lol :wacko: I appreciate any and all opinions on my question, thanks :D .

Edited by Tyler_4

Hi Tyler_4,

I started writing this almost two months ago. I only have the first chapter done, I had always planned on writing more of it, but school has gotten in the way as well as some unpleasant...events. I was kind of wondering, do any of you sometimes have to force yourself to just sit and write something more? Or do you wait until you're totally comfortable and then write? I know I haven't been in the best mood with things lately, but i can't help but wonder if maybe i should just force out some more. It sounds bad when I say 'force' but that's only for lack of a better term I think. It's not like I have some kind of huge fan following either, so there's no pressure there. Just wondering what some of you think.

Sometimes, although it's more about sticking to a release schedule, rather than forcing myself to sit down and start typing.

I am a firm believer that you will achieve better work in less time if you are comfortable about writing in the first place. Try not to force yourself too much. If you want to continue the story, that's fine, but don't turn it into a chore. If it feels like a chore to you, then readers might pick up on your frustration. Not a good thing. :)

As for the fan following, that is something that will develop over time, but even if you're at the top, YOU are the author. You decide when to release the chapters and only when you are ready. Most readers will patiently wait for you.

Maybe everyone can muscle me into writing more, I'm just not sure. Also, on a side note, how the crap do I change the thing on the side to say that I'm an author now too??? lol :wacko: I appreciate any and all opinions on my question, thanks :D .

Not sure about the 'muscling' part :D but to change your group, send a message to Joe(JSmith) and ask him to kindly change your group to authors.

In case anyone is interested this is the link to my story: http://www.voy.com/17262/6/11195.html ( um, is this ok posted here? It's in the archives of Com's library forum, but I'm still unsure. I don't wanna step on any toes)

You can always post the story in efiction. There is some more information available on how to do this in the GayAuthors FAQ

I hope I cleared up a few things. ;)

Emulated

I always say, if you feel that you have something to say in a story...go for it. ALWAYS write more. Even if you don't feel like adding to it again for another six months, write more.

Should you 'force' yourself to write? No. I think writing should be natural and comfortable to you when you do it. However, one thing that I usually DO force upon myself is the actual HABIT of writing something every day. Even if it's not on a particular story, I always sit down and write 'something' every day. (Which is why I get into so much trouble and end up with fifty stories instead of one) Some days I see the sunshine and feel like a million bucks, and I'll come home and add to one of the happier stories that I'm working on, because it matches my mood and I can tap into that emotion without even thinking about it. It just spills out on the page all on its own. Other times...I have a really shitty day, and everything looks bleak. When I'm hurting, I'll work on something that taps into THAT emotion naturally. And the same thing happens, the pain comes out on the page, and it's honest. It's how I feel.

Anyway, the point is, if you start off forcing yourself to sit down to the keyboard and write a little something each and every day, even if you're just keeping a little online journal or something, what will happen (and rather quickly, I might add) is that you'll find yourself NEEDING to write whenever you have random thoughts on your mind. Whenever you have a good or a bad experience, you'll feel compelled to get it out of your system by writing it out before you forget the details. And once you apply that practice to your stories...you'll be writing nonstop in no time. It'll feel comfortable, it'll be honest, and you'd be surprised how theraputec it is to be able to explore pieces of your life, heart, mind, and soul, through your writing. If I go too long without writing it drives me crazy! It's like my brain gets backed up with so much mental 'noise' that I can barely sleep. Hehehe, so it may be both a blessing and a curse, but after two or three weeks of writing for an hour a day, you'll find a true connection with every word, and so will your readers.

Especially if you're writing about your feelings of being so busy with school...and certain 'events' that got you feeling down. Write about it. Write from your heart, and you can't go wrong. The fans will relate. Every time.

Hope this helps, dude. :)

Thank you both very much for the advice. I'll think about what you have both said and decide on what I want to do. I'll also look into some of the things you were telling me about Emulated. Thanks very much to both of you again, :D:worship: .

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..