Flaming back flamers

Dom-

It's a waste of energy to "flame back" at flamers.

I have noticed that the vast majority of the flamers have nothing posted and those that do suck. They are wanna-bes and never-will-bes trying to steal some of your shine.

Criticism is one thing- constructive criticism is even welcome to most authors but a diatribe that says, in so many words, YO MAMA is best ignored.

THe net has many wonderful people and a few well traveled a-holes. They get around and they hurt peoples feelings cause they get off on it. I've seen authors up and quit because of it.

First- this is why I became a mod. I am in a position to protect authors from abuse and I will come down hard on this if I catch it.

Second- a lot of the authors here are quite young. Our current moderators are protective of them. We REALLY want to create an atmosphere where they can spread their creative wings without having some yahoo take pot-shots at them. The easiest way to get knee-capped- err, I mean banned, is to mess with our authors.

Finally- I know that it's a big temptation to flame back at some j@ck@ss that has flamed you because a story that he is reading for free didn't turn out the way he wanted it too. Rather than waste your time and considerable talent on a response, let the moderators know and we'll take the appropriate action.

Don't let it get to you Dom. You've forgotten more about writing that quite a lot of people will ever know.

-JS

I figure anyone who has posted a story has been flamed at one time or another.

Anyone who's done much online's been flamed at one time or another, the higher-profile stuff you've done the more likely you are to get something lobbed at you. Firing back, unfortunately, just doesn't do anything constructive -- would that it did. Sometimes it's downright detrimental, as you can get fallout from it.

Best thing I've found, if just nuking the crap isn't enough, is to put some effort into a truly literate, vicious diatribe, one that would leave any sensible person quivering and aghast that he or she had the temerity to behave so abominably.

Then delete it.

You get the best you can manage from both worlds -- the catharsis of letting fly, without the bounce-back that sometimes happens.