Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Geography

I thought it would be a good idea to have a general geography thread. :)

Any questions on Geography, for the story, or for that matter, anything, ask away! I'm fairly good at geography, as it is one of my favorite subjects. :)

In another thread, Wildone said,

Thanks for the maps too, CJ Posted Image .

A question about the Caribbean, are the waters pretty shallow throughout the area, or just around islands? I would imagine the number of cruise ships that head to the area they must overall be fairly deep.

Why I ask is that I believe the wreck of the Ares supposedly wrecked off the coast of Bimini, but no wreckage was found. I am trying to solve the story after 4 chapters, how am I doing? Posted Image

Posted Image

The map is from Google Earth, and shows the shallow areas well. Google earth isn't always accurate for depths, however, and in this case, the water color is the best clue

(shallower is lighter, generally, in this area). The bottom is largely white sand, and the point for the last call from the Ares is in roughly 90 feet of water, but if you go north, it gets deeper, fast. I was in that area earlier this year (though I didn't have time to look for the Ares); The water is very clear.

After looking at the satellite image, what I said in the other thread hopefully makes more sense now; The waters around the Bahamas can vary. Off Bimini, for example,there are huge areas that are very shallow (under 20 feet) even far from shore. The last reported position of the Ares, for example, is 20 miles from land, but it is in barely a hundred feet of water, and between there and Bimini (the closest land) it only gets shallower. :)

There are also many deep areas. In general, in the Bahamas you have some massive banks that contain the islands and vast shallow areas, and the banks are separated by deep water areas, such as the tongue of the ocean.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..