Nastiest foods

This is one of the worst. It's called Casu marzu. It's my pick for the worst. It's a specialty food in a small town in the Italian island of Sardinia. Casu marzu literally means rotten cheese, and when something's rotting, maggots find their way in. This is not something I would ever eat, though I must say it's good revenge on maggots, since they will eat rotting human flesh. I think a good runner up is the Inuit's rotten fish. Now, what is the most disgusting food, something you'd never put in your mouth for any reason whatsoever. For some, a certain food can be so gross that he or she would rather die than eat it. Now here's a pictures of cazu marzu. It definitely doesn't look appetizing to me. :o

Snob_food.jpg

The US doesn't even allow the importation of this cheese from Italy, and as with all things banned from importation, there's a hefty fine for those who try it.

• Site Moderator

There are people out there who will eat anything. You should watch Bizarre Foods on the Travel Channel. I think the host, Andrew Zimern, has eaten just about everything. Some of it still alive.

I'm pretty sure its okra.

And I'm pretty sure you're right !!

Since I've never heard of Haggis I Googled it and what I read on Wikipedia I swear made me gag!!

Edited by Rush

Fish or seafood of any kind. Euw. Euw is understating the depth of feeling I have about seafood..

I was invited to try a friend's curry once, not knowing it was prawn curry. On tasting, my disgust was such that had I exhaled even slightly at the moment of tasting I would have left the restaurant a large cleaning bill all over their table cloth and gained them a visit from the food hygiene inspectors.

As it was, my British decorum won out over my stomach and breathing until the nausea passed and I was able to politely inform my friend that I was sure the curry would have been lovely with chicken. :ph34r:

Jack? Tomatoes?

I couldn't live without tomatoes. They or some derivative is in almost everything I eat.

Edited by Emu

You know- just looking at sauerkraut, you would think its awful. Now I can't have a hot dog without it.

I tried it once at a German restaurant in Fort Worth and I'm hooked.

You're hitting all my ethnicities.... it wasn't Christmas without a smörgåsbord of lutefisk, 5 kinds of herring, 3 kinds of smoked salmon, sliced Bambi (bunderfleisch), sausages, potato casserole, smoked pork, ham, cabbage rolls, cheeses, bread and lots of akavit!

I lived in Minnesota for 17+ years and and enjoyed feasting at many a smörgåsbord while I was there. The only item on your list that I've tried and can honestly say that I would never try again, is Lutefisk.

Even though I have some Scot in my ancestry, Haggis has never been a dish that I wanted to try and I'll try most things at least once, but there are some foods that may be a delicacy in some cultures but are unable to get by my ick factor.

Of course, if I were starving, I'd most likely eat anything to survive.

Edited by Tomas

Jack? Tomatoes?

I couldn't live without tomatoes. They or some derivative is in almost everything I eat.

I agree -- home grown hopefully

There are foods I've heard of that don't interest me (haggis being one). The two I've tried that made me retch were: uni (sea urchin roe) and gefilte fish. I've even eaten chapulines (Oaxacan fried grasshoppers) and enjoyed them but uni and gefilte fish, ugh! :wacko:

Used to be... hard boiled eggs turned my stomach, the sulfur I think. Now, I can eat 'em.

Had those. Not by choice, but I didn't care... It was New Year dinner with my ex's in-laws and they call it hot vit lon.

It was just weird, but I'd eat them again.

Jack? Tomatoes?

I can tolerate sauce with NO chunks.

I personally hate... hate... hate tomatoes. They're nasty as f**k in my mouth or when I touch them. I won't near them or tolerate them for long on my own person.

I am very picky with vegetables because of texture, so tomatoes and squash are the most nastiest food ever to me.

Just like how you feel about seafood. :P

Uff da!!

lutefisk-314511549.jpg

You're hitting all my ethnicities.... it wasn't Christmas without a smörgåsbord of lutefisk, 5 kinds of herring, 3 kinds of smoked salmon, sliced Bambi (bunderfleisch), sausages, potato casserole, smoked pork, ham, cabbage rolls, cheeses, bread and lots of akavit!

A few Norwegians told me that Norwegian Americans/Canadians eat lutefisk way more often the Norwegians themselves.

They stopped eating that once they modernized their cuisine with McDonalds and pizza. That's what my friend from Oslo told me. :P

Edited by Jack Frost

lutefisk-314511549.jpg

A few Norwegians told me that Norwegian Americans/Canadians eat lutefisk way more often the Norwegians themselves.

They stopped eating that once they modernized their cuisine with McDonalds and pizza. That's what my friend from Oslo told me. :P

I don't doubt it's true because the reasons for Lutefisk, storing fish for the winter by drying it, no longer exist, but for those in the U.S. and Canada, it is a way to reconnect with your roots and the 'homeland' and remember why you left that cold dark place :)

I would also wager more haggis is eaten in the U.S. and Canada than Scotland for the same reason.

Do you suppose they eat gefilte fish in Israel?