Forests or concrete?

What DO you or WOULD you prefer to be surrounded by?

Forests or concrete? Perhaps both! hmmm And please explain why.

I prefer forests because that is the situation in which I grew up. I love the outdoor arena. Daytime-nighttime. It makes no difference in the forest.

I have never lived in a *big* city. With all of the communication advances since I was a kid, can I not stay in the country and still live in *touch* with mainstream city life?

What is so attractive about living in a large metropolis?

Hmm, well ive lived in a town all my life so i got to know concrete well!

But if we go anywhere and there is greenery it is very welcome change.

Like our Scotland holiday last year :)

Forest every time.

I have a dream that one day i will find my true love and we will live in a cottage with a river flowing at the bottom of the garden with the forest coming down to sip the water on the other side. We will be totally self sufficient with a wood burning stove and a generator (I'm not prepared to give up ALL my comforts). I will spend my days painting and writing and he will do whatever he wants. We will share the work in the garden, although he will have to chop the wood. I will bring him cold glasses of cider to slake his thirst while he does it.

I will grow herbs in my herb garden and make potions and preparations to treat us if we are ill, to make the house smell good and to attract bees to the garden.

Every day we will walk along the banks of the river hand in hand and bless the day we met and the chances and choices that brought us to this place together.

Until I meet him I choose the city because being stuck half way up a mountain in a Welsh mining valley is not the place to meet a man who would want to share the dream with me.

I was raised in a hamlet in the middle of nowhere. Forests are starting to get on my last nerve. Weirdly, as much as I love the concrete cities, I find myself missing the greenery after a while. It's like it's apart of me now.

Snip...

being stuck half way up a mountain in a Welsh mining valley is not the place to meet a man who would want to share the dream with me.

"How Green Was My Valley"

ani_single_rose.gif

I have lived an almost enchanted life for a beggar boy. Things just happened to work out for me. And I know that I am very fortunate.

But I have no idea what it would be like to grow up in a *city* enviroment!

I am very much asking WHAT is so great about the *city*?

I grew up in a concrete world. It was fine - then. Now, it's just another crowded, dangerous, run down city like any other big city.

Soon, I hope to build a retirement house on my five acres at the top of the Smokey Mountains in Tennessee. Lush greenery and a waterfall out back. I can't wait for traffic noise to be replaced by bird song.

Pretty much I'm a city boy and always have been. The way it looks now, I always will be. I prefer a fine line between privacy/isolation, and connectivity/metropolitan living. I'll probably end up living in the suburbs, in some work of post modern architecture. Clean cut and streamlined concrete, steel, and glass. I love/live for that stuff haha. A few dashes of green and plant life thrown in here and there, and I'm set :)

I used to live in a concrete world and I have to admit I loved it, I can't be away from the noise of a million people doin their stuff, I really feel comfortable when i'm part of the globalized world :P. Now I live in a country with barely over 3 million people and it is NOTHING compared to what I used to know but it is better in some way, that way being that the city were i live in now, or more specifically the area, is a combination of concrete and nature. There's new houses and buildings in construction every day but thanks to zone specifications every building has to be no taller then four stories and have to comply with the minimal vegetation (i don't know how that is controlled). So what you get is an awesome place where there's green everywhere and parks a and stuff but you also get the beautiful architecture ^^. There are many architects in my family and i'm gonna be one too so i definitely like to be surrounded by concrete :) There are some incredible churches here including a beautiful one that resembles the notre dame (not quite so neogothic but oh well) that fin in soo well with the lush greenery around it.....sorry, i forgot what this thread was about but umm yeah i'd put forests and concrete together ^^

I live in Montreal, Canada's second largest city of 3.8 million, but I only have been living here for five years now. I was born and raised in the mountains and woods of northeastern Pennsylvania, so I still have a huge sense of being with nature. It's a bit damn hard seeing just concrete, bricks, stones, and asphalt with a tree or plant here and there daily. The city has a very visible undeveloped mountain in the middle of it called Mont-Royal (Montreal is named after it, meaning "Royal Mountain") and the whole city is on an island in the middle of an huge river with plenty of natural recreation activities. But that's not the same. That means, it's a must that I get off this island once every while and see the pure greenness of the countryside (if my finances allow it). The best side of living in the city is that I have more mobility. I hate being at home all day and beyond that is hard to tolerate, so I got to be out doing at least *something*. I don't have a car, so out in the countryside you're pretty much stuck in a small area. The metro makes me happy by moving me around. I can drive however... Just too poor to have a car for now.

Edited by Jack Frost

I know a city where you can practically have both. It's called Kansas City. There's plenty of trees throughout the city and obviously concrete as well. I'd live there again.

forest all the way!!!!

perth is like one big country town, so ive never been to a "real" city with heaps of people, but even perths got to many people for my liking

im a loner and i dont really like being around large crowds, so with my job of working with horses in a semi-rural area, im very happy :2thumbs:, and since i cant get my car licence yet i can drive the quad bike at work =)

though im use to the convience of living in the suburbs, and having public transport, internet!!!! and scheme water!!

so forest, with a town a few hours close by would be my pick

I love the forests. The biggest reason: smell. Forests usually smell fresh and clean. Cities stink. Cities are also crowded, and it is hard for green space to be ugly, but many places in cities are also ugly. It also frustrated the hell out of me that in a city everything is supposedly so close and accessible, yet you can never get anywhere because there are too many people in crowds or in whatever form of transportation blocking your way. In the country you can just drive... (or walk, or ride...)

I wouldn't mind being surrounded by a forest as long as high-speed internet is available and a nice city is 20-30mins away. :P

A few years ago I lived in a house that was surrounded on three sides by a forest. There was a paved drive 1/10 mile to the street. There were major shopping and dining areas 15 to 20 miles away in a couple of different directions, and a city of a half million about an hour away. I liked it OK in general, but I hated going back to dialup internet when I moved there. The cost of running a cable line from the street or upgrading the satellite dish to support high-speed internet was prohibitive, and I didn't plan to live there as long as it turned out I stayed.

I think the ideal for me would be to live in an isolated area that was convenient to all the amenities, and in walking distance of public transportation for a big city, and of course with at least 8 Mbps internet at the house.

But where I live now is a pretty good compromise for all that: a small town with a lot going on and great places to eat, and major shopping 5 or 6 miles away, and a city of 700,000+ 25 miles down the freeway whose bus service comes to just over a mile from the house. Even though I have plenty of close neighbors, the huge windows I see from the main living areas of the house all look into acres of woods, so it's like being isolated when I'm in the house. Available internet speeds go up to 20 Mbps, which is pretty decent by American standards. It may not be ideal for a lot of folk, but it works well for me.

I like both. I've grown up in a semi-rural suburb where you can drive by large shopping plazas and bustling streets and continue driving five more minutes and you're in the middle of nowhere. I enjoy all that the outdoors have to offer (hunting, fishing, snowmobiling, hiking, camping), but rural areas just simply can't offer the excitement, diversity, and modernization that a city can. Hence part of the reason why I'm going to college right outside a major city. :D

So in essence, I would rather live in concrete, but would definitely like to make occasional trips back to do all the outdoor stuff I enjoy doing now.

What DO you or WOULD you prefer to be surrounded by?

Forests or concrete? Perhaps both! hmmm And please explain why.

I prefer forests because that is the situation in which I grew up. I love the outdoor arena. Daytime-nighttime. It makes no difference in the forest.

I have never lived in a *big* city. With all of the communication advances since I was a kid, can I not stay in the country and still live in *touch* with mainstream city life?

What is so attractive about living in a large metropolis?

Concerts, opera, ballet, live theater, shopping, dining, museums, libraries, top medical care, universities, amusements, first run movies, art house movies, places to go after 9PM, professional sports, gblt centers.......

Available internet speeds go up to 20 Mbps, which is pretty decent by American standards. It may not be ideal for a lot of folk, but it works well for me.

I feel like I'm stuck in the stone age while every else is moving to the industrial era.

Forest. I love being surrounded by the trees and wildlife. I have grown up in a small town in Kentucky so it is sorta everywhere. I don't like the face-paced city life. I went to D.C and went into culture shock. I was screaming for home by the 3rd day :wacko: . I would be lost with out the perfect view of stars, warm green grass, smell of honey-suckle, and presence of the occasional deer, fox, hummingbird, or rabbit etc. *Sigh* I Love nature and hate my town or rather the people who live here.

Concerts, opera, ballet, live theater, shopping, dining, museums, libraries, top medical care, universities, amusements, first run movies, art house movies, places to go after 9PM, professional sports, gblt centers.......

Is that ALL?? *grins*

I love Austin. It's a decent sized city but it's spread out and there are plenty of parks, as well as lots of trees growing all throughout the city. A perfect combination for me.

Hey scotchirish87,

Some years ago I went with a group of 13yo boys to a baseball tournament in Georgetown. Somewhere between there and Austin there are underground caverns located directly under the interstate. Apparently when the government bought the property to build the highway, they didn't buy the land underneath it past a certain point, so the original owner(s) created an money maker out of it.

I was just curious as to whether you knew about it or not. And thanks for your answer. :)