Hidden meanings in Inception, the movie (Spolers)

After seeing it, I kind of thought there were some hidden psychological meanings within the film.

The entire movie is built around a psychological concept called a catharsis, which is a strong expressive moment of personal reflection. However, there's also some hints in there about certain other psychological double meanings, like the wife dying, the kids, and the old father figure.

A few people don't seem to know this, so i'm going to spoil the brilliant ambiguous ending by telling you all that after the credits finish rolling the totem actually stops spinning, hence he wasn't in the dream world, he'd come back to reality :o

Edited by .soup.

A few people don't seem to know this, so i'm going to spoil the brilliant ambiguous ending by telling you all that after the credits finish rolling the totem actually stops spinning, hence he wasn't in the dream world, he'd come back to reality :o

Screw you! I'm sticking with my theory that he died and he's stuck in the dream world forever.

Screw you! I'm sticking with my theory that he died and he's stuck in the dream world forever.

Edit: Oops. I was wrong, Haha sorry Mr Meno! :)

Edited by .soup.

Well the only way this could be true is if your theatre got a different print of Inception than mine did lol. A couple of my buddies whom I work with are projectionists, and after having put the print together into one continuous reel, neither confirmed that there was anything at the end of the credits. I havent stayed to the end myself, so I cant say 100%, but I dont see any reason why they would lie to me lol.

That'd be somewhat interesting if there were actually prints of the movie floating around which gave some closure.

Btw for the record, I'm thoroughly convinced he got out, and was not dreaming.

Don't forget, once you dream far enough, then your dream is your reality.

The guy never accepted seeing his kids again in any of the dream sequences until the end. Does that mean he is in reality or does it mean he has accepted what he "believes" is reality?

As long as you're happy and life works for you, a dream is equal to any perceived reality.

Well the only way this could be true is if your theatre got a different print of Inception than mine did lol. A couple of my buddies whom I work with are projectionists, and after having put the print together into one continuous reel, neither confirmed that there was anything at the end of the credits. I havent stayed to the end myself, so I cant say 100%, but I dont see any reason why they would lie to me lol.

That'd be somewhat interesting if there were actually prints of the movie floating around which gave some closure.

Btw for the record, I'm thoroughly convinced he got out, and was not dreaming.

Hahaha damn. I am wrong :) sorry. I heard it from my brother's friend and i didn't believe it at first so i looked on the net but i was just skimming the site and i read "...the top does stop spinning after the credits and Cobb is at last in the real world..." but i read it out of context *feels like an idiot* :)

Edited by .soup.

Don't forget, once you dream far enough, then your dream is your reality.

The guy never accepted seeing his kids again in any of the dream sequences until the end. Does that mean he is in reality or does it mean he has accepted what he "believes" is reality?

As long as you're happy and life works for you, a dream is equal to any perceived reality.

Well I don't think it was a matter of "dreaming far enough" to get caught, but rather that when you recreated from memory, you would lose your grip on what was a dream and what was real. In addition to this the whole thing with limbo was not that it was inescapable but rather that the compounded time effect was so intense, you could spend a couple real-time hours in limbo, and have lived 50 years in the dream.

In the movie it addresses him not being able to see his kids, because the dream is a memory, and he cannot "create" anymore of the memory which doesnt exist. He said that he left before he got a chance to see his kids faces one last time, and as a result the dreamworld recreation of the memory is "incomplete". At the end of the movie he sees his kids because its no longer a dream. You could argue that he was unaware that he was dreaming, and thus created them himself, but there is plenty of evidence to refute the idea that he failed to make it out.

Well I don't think it was a matter of "dreaming far enough" to get caught, but rather that when you recreated from memory, you would lose your grip on what was a dream and what was real. In addition to this the whole thing with limbo was not that it was inescapable but rather that the compounded time effect was so intense, you could spend a couple real-time hours in limbo, and have lived 50 years in the dream.

In the movie it addresses him not being able to see his kids, because the dream is a memory, and he cannot "create" anymore of the memory which doesnt exist. He said that he left before he got a chance to see his kids faces one last time, and as a result the dreamworld recreation of the memory is "incomplete". At the end of the movie he sees his kids because its no longer a dream. You could argue that he was unaware that he was dreaming, and thus created them himself, but there is plenty of evidence to refute the idea that he failed to make it out.

True, it's a matter of interpreting the final sequence. However, new memories and thoughts could be created within a dream. It's the reason behind the entire movie's concept of a dream within a dream.

The wife and the guy were creating things within their dream world for years, but it was the wife that lost track of reality from the dream or in fact awoke from the dream, again depending on your interpretation.

This entire movie reminds m of the Shakespearean verse from Hamlet that immortalizes the thought:

To be or not to be