You are very far from being a failed author. First, as I understand it, this is one of your first stories, so it's only natural that you are still honing your skills. Second, you chose a philosophical and psychological approach for your characters; you didn't write a romance or coming out story, which tend to attract greater readership. So have faith in yourself and in your writing. :)

As for what I expected, well... I'm a sucker for romance and you gave us some but then... it didn't follow the usual pattern.

And I expected something to do with magic, since you set your story in some magical world.

All this to say that I am not in the least disappointed: it's very good when an author leads you where you don't expect to go.

I would completely agree that the second letter is more powerful than the first. It took a lot more designing, actually. When should I break the news? I'd decided to do it on the third paragraph which was about as long as Tyler could withhold the news and all that fun stuff I get to write afterwards :P.

Yes, plu-perfect could work in that context. I'll change it once I steal my computer back from my sister.

...Why do I get a feeling that Fishie is a bondage freak in disguise...? O_o. As for the next chapter, I haven't really decided. Dunno whether it should be next Saturday, or before that :P. Depends when your exams are over? lol.

Bleu, hehe, this of course isn't my first story lol. I've been writing probably about six, seven years before this. But this is my first story here, yes, and I only post two stories here because they had homosexual themes, and before that, it's not a theme I usually touch upon. I reckoned that Romance and Coming Out stories tend to attract more people because they can be very rewarding to read. Readers feel loved and swooned, experiences coming out in fiction as they would in real life etc. But that's not usually where my interests lie. Given the books I surround myself in, I found myself drawn more to literature that has a certain depth to them, and has moving or even poignant qualities. I think my writing style developed from that, and I learned how to make emotion impact with words and I'd like to think I'm not bad at it!

Which then leads us to the point of why authors write and why readers read. What do both parties get out of it? At one point (I think it was after Chapter 5) I thought of giving this up, because I couldn't bring myself to write the final parts, not because of what happens to the characters, but because how this story rings with what's inside me and I don't want to confront that part of myself, yet I did anyway, because it was a sentiment that needed to be expressed. So effectively, I hadn't learned how to sit back and enjoy writing, but see it as a means to cleanse away certain emotions by making up scenarios. Some people identify with these emotions, and for those, they tend to take away more from the experience.

But then, I'm not someone who can or aspires to have a very wide readership on this site. Actually, I prefer the process of communication and develop relationships with my readers - that, I think, for me as an author is the most rewarding part of the job. After all, they did give me, what, 2 hours of their precious life? :P The least I can do is to spend some time with them.

Yes, I gave you some romance and then, like a teenager would to a child, snatched the candy away from one's hand. It's not what most authors do. But then, I'm not like most authors :P.

As for why no one reads this, it's because I'm a failed author, haha.

Okay so this is a lie of the highest magnitude - first go back and check - part of the problem was the question was flawed - why aren't more people reading? Quite a few are reading. Yours is one of the 20 most read stories on the site - go check if you don't believe me. [hint - it's #19 right now. :king: ] Given Mark Arbor has at least 3 in there, Anyta has 2, Nephy has at least 2 - you are one of the top 15 most read authors on the place - That hardly sounds like a 'failed author' to me - quite the contrary - seems folks rather like your work. :2thumbs:

Now the issue of why is no one else posting on here - well that is an age old problem. Each author has a few devoted followers who post regularly - that is about the best you can hope for. Most of your readers are probably not registered members so they can't review or comment on the forum. All in all you should be pretty pleased, it will only get better from here.

Now as to the obvious, why Haven't I posted or commented - I have been trying to finish my story and the last 5 chapters proved a bugger for me - I don't do conflict as well as good times - oops, probably shouldn't have said that but hopefully there aren't a lot of cross over readers so I didn't give anything away. But I am done so - err, watch out? watch what you ask for? [okay your fans asked not you but still :P ]

Okay pep talk over, we now return you to your normal reading pleasure. :boy:

Andy

• Like 1

Lol, wow, I didn't even know that. But I guess you're right. Though, most people stop after Chapter 1 :P. Maybe it's because the story title was suspiciously suggestive and similar to one of Bill's short stories. Not that it was intended, of course :).

Oh, and I can do with a couple of devoted followers, hahaha. Aww, and all the cookies I'll give them!

Interesting, lol. I find writing 'good times' rather difficult and generally only write them if they're absolutely necessary. Lol. Perhaps you can teach me how to write the good times!

Chapter 8 (Epilogue) is now up. Completed at last :).

You can expect everything from a typical story of mine, an ending that changes the perception of the story that went before, that in the same time ties in with the story title, and offers a new way to read the first couple of chapters, giving the same words a different meaning.

Once again, thanks everyone for your supports. Circle out :)

P.S. OMG. 15th most read story?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Version 3.0! I've squashed more bugs, errors, clarified where needed and highlighted where needed to understand the structure of the piece :).

Still not perfect though. I'm a habitual reviser :P.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know no one cares about this story, but many, many improvements have been made throughout chapters 1 - 6. Grammatical and punctuation errors corrected, sentence polished to one closer in terms of standard to Dan's Conundrum, and...

There may or may not be an Easter Egg in Chapter 2.

Edited by Circle