Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Upcoming Trends, Slang, Pop Culture, Etc

Nah, I'll just get fat instead.

If you do, please get fat all over..... I hate those formerly skinny twinks who only have Dunlaps (my belly dun' lap over my belt) but still have narrow hips, a spoon chest, skinny legs and pencil thin arms.

• Like 1

If you do, please get fat all over..... I hate those formerly skinny twinks who only have Dunlaps (my belly dun' lap over my belt) but still have narrow hips, a spoon chest, skinny legs and pencil thin arms.

You mean the kind that are way too old to still be twinks, but still hit the clubs every Friday and Saturday night thinking they are still the hot shit they were at 19 and 20? :P I see far too many of those at bars and clubs. 

• Like 2

You mean the kind that are way too old to still be twinks, but still hit the clubs every Friday and Saturday night thinking they are still the hot shit they were at 19 and 20? :P I see far too many of those at bars and clubs. 

Yes and their screen names all have "boi" and "kewl" somewhere in them even though they are no longer either :)

• Like 1

Yes and their screen names all have "boi" and "kewl" somewhere in them even though they are no longer either :)

I feel like being a twink is something that only pays off for a few years, then seriously comes back to bite you in the ass once you get past 25 or so. I mean, where else can you go from twink? I guess you could maybe become a twunk, but how often do we see that. Usually they just end up being bitchy, bitter fem queens. 

• Like 1

Well, the thing about being a twink is that it relies on you having this youthful, feminine/andro beauty- skinny, perfect skin, etc etc.That doesn't really age well. You can't maintain it.

For me, I LOVE it when a twink goes from this:

2009.jpg

To THIS:

james-11.jpg

I still cannot get over how much hotter I find James Maslow now than I did when he was 18/19 at the start of Big Time Rush and the typical pretty boy twink. He was adorable as a twink, but these days? Damn. Milk sure did that body good. He's a good illustration of that "filling out" stage that often happens with guys in their late teens/early 20's, albeit aided with an obvious fanatic lifting routine. Most guys will find their shoulders broaden and such when they're in their early 20's. When I was 22, I got fitted for a suit, and I told the guy, "I should be a 40 chest", based on my prom tux three years ago. He said, "No, you're at least a 44" and he was right.

BTW, has anyone else noticed that guys seem to be cutting off that long, mid/late 2000's Zach Efron Circa High School Musical kind of hair these days? Shorter hair is coming back, or you're seeing the undercut look with really short sides and long on the top.

Edited by methodwriter85

Which is why being a twink is a poor long term investment and I'm thankful I never was one. They rarely make the transition to twunk, and usually keep their bitchy, queen-bee attitude but no longer have the looks to keep people interested. Of course this is a generalization, but theres truth behind every stereotype.

Every time I see a guy with a tribal tattoo around his arm, I just think, "Yup, you were college-aged circa 1998 to 2005 and got this tat." It was either the tribal tattoo, or the Celtic cross. Then somewhere in the late '00s to early '10's, it switched over to letter-writing tattoos either on the chest or around a rib, or just the general Ed Hardy sleeve.

Edited by methodwriter85

Every time I see a guy with a tribal tattoo around his arm, I just think, "Yup, you were college-aged circa 1998 to 2005 and got this tat." It was either the tribal tattoo, or the Celtic cross. Then somewhere in the late '00s to early '10's, it switched over to letter-writing tattoos either on the chest or around a rib, or just the general Ed Hardy sleeve.

When did the chinese letters become popular?

I'd say it was the bridge- somewhere around the mid-2000's. I definitely noticed them and the tribal tats on the guys I was checking out in college in 2005-2007, but I feel like the tribal tats came in earlier(with my sister's friends who are about Matt and Wade's age) and just stayed around for a while.

I think they're pretty dated, like how a barbed wire tattoo just SCREAMS 90's. If I see a guy with a tribal tat I'll assume he has to be at least in his late 20's but is probably in his early/mid-30's, while those chest and rib "deep poignant message" tats seem more the domain of guys in their early 20's.

If I see a guy with a barbed wire tattoo, I'd probably peg him as being about Private Tim's age, born somewhere in the mid/late 1970's and getting his tat somewhere in the mid/late 90's.

I really think Tony SCREAMS a Celtic Cross tat, but I don't think those are quite as dated.

Edited by methodwriter85

Ain't that the truth. My legs are huge, especially my thighs. I once tried on a pair of skinny jeans (a couple sizes bigger then what I wear for regular jeans) and practically busted the seams of the denim. :P I'll stick to slim-straight fit for now on. Guys with smaller legs, count yourself lucky because you fit into any kind of pant so much easier then those who don't, lol. 

I learned this lesson today when I tried to buy flat-front khaki shorts, which is all the rage with the kids these days. It just doesn't look good on a guy with short stumpy legs with massive thighs and calves- it's a look clearly made for guys with long and slender legs. So instead I went with hiking shorts, which are basically cargo shorts that go above the knee. It's funny though- I went to Aeropostale, and they were advertising long-length flat-fronts with 11.5 inch inseams, which...doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of flat-fronts? I thought the point as that they tapered in and ended at about the knee. You might as well just go ahead and wear cargo shorts or skateboard shorts at that point.

I came thisclose to buying a neon-green tank top, as neon tank tops also seem to be the rage with the kids these days, but I kind of resisted. Weirdly enough, I like NOTICING trends, but I generally don't engage in them myself because I like being able to wear clothes over multiple years. Though I think I actually could pull off neon very well with my dark Pacific Islander tan. I don't know, though. I feel like if I wore stuff like that, I'd be like the 35-year olds wearing Abercrombie that I used to make fun of when I was 19.

Do you wear flat-fronts, Blue? I think you'd rock the hell out of that look with those skinny legs of yours. I'm not sure I can see you in those funky neon tank tops, though.

• Like 1

Flat-fronts are this:

flat-front-pinstripe-shorts.jpg

They're all the rage right now with the young people. The shorts create a flat front, and kinda taper in at the knees or go above the knees.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • 2 weeks later...

Ironically, I now own a couple tank tops. I've been taking yoga classes, and a tank top is an acceptable compromise between sweating excessively into a t-shirt or just going shirtless. I was not thrilled to learn that, with a shirt that does not take my shoulder breadth into account, I wear a size small. I fit into an extra small, but I just know I'd break the flimsy little thing if it was tight as well as tiny.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

No.  

Alright. What about Addison? (Which inexplicably became a popular girl's name in the 2000's, peaking in 2007, despite the fact that the name means Son of Adam.) It would have been on the ascent in 2003, and probably seemed edgy and cool.

Maddy and Addy. Come on, that's cute!

Or Tiffany can name a daughter Isabella, and then cringe in embarrassment 5 years later when Twilight hits.  Extra points if it's twins, one's a boy, and she names him Jacob or Edward.

It's just funny to me that names like Isabella, Sophia, Ava and the like are so hot right now, while the names I grew up hearing so much- Jessica, Ashley, and Heather- all seemed to be fading out. When's the last time you've met a little toddler girl named Jessica or Heather?

As a comparison...top baby names of the 1980's vs. top baby names of the 2000's

The top 10 for baby boys barely changed, while Elizabeth, and Ashley are the only two who stayed in the top 10.

Edited by methodwriter85

I'm guessing Mark's silence means "Addison" is a no. Oh, well.

Anyway, check out the Fifty Shades of Grey trailer:

I'm not really sure I can see anyone in the family actually getting into the 50 Shades Craze when it drops in 2011-2012, but I'm pretty sure I can see JJ having a submissive relationship with someone. Although he could surprise me and be Christian Grey instead.

As for the craze itself, it's brought endless amusement to me. The book is so bad it's good.

Edited by methodwriter85

Or Tiffany can name a daughter Isabella, and then cringe in embarrassment 5 years later when Twilight hits.  Extra points if it's twins, one's a boy, and she names him Jacob or Edward.

If you want to dream about multiple births and names that become embarrassing later hope for twin boys and a girl. Then you can get Jacob, Edward AND Bella all turning Tiff's belly inside out with embarrassment!

If you want to dream about multiple births and names that become embarrassing later hope for twin boys and a girl. Then you can get Jacob, Edward AND Bella all turning Tiff's belly inside out with embarrassment!

Why do you HATE kids so much :(

Why do you HATE kids so much :(

I don't hate kids. I don't even hate Twilight. It was a story that got teenagers reading and anything that does that is ok by me. I just hate all the hype that has grown around the movies.

Addison is a 'no'. 

Yeah. Honestly, the name makes me cringe for some reason, and it's incredibly dated for a reason.

Here's a Top 100 List of Popular Baby Names from 2003.

For girls, I like Hailey, Sophia, and Arianna.

For guys, I'm liking Aiden, Jayden, or Hayden.

It's just kind of funny to me that Sophia went from being a Golden Girls character, to be a very popular young girl's name again, while the name Heather is becoming a middle-aged mom name like Susan or something.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • 4 weeks later...

When did having jeans hanging below your ass become popular? I wanna see John in a pair and see Claire and Stefan completely freak out!

That should already be around. It was hot in the late 90's/very early 00's to wear baggy pants and then sag them to show off the hem of your boxers, especially if you wearing Tommy Hilfiger boxers.

The look I'm waiting for Stefan and Claire to freak out about is the whale tail, which Marie should be rocking right about now:

2996178-16jul26-solid-whale-tail.jpg

Most teenaged girls circa 2002 were wearing low-rider pants and thongs, hence the term "whale tail." The look lasted for a pretty long time through the decade.

Guys jeans were baggy for the first half of the decade; girls wore their pants very tight and very low. The look didn't peter out until the late 2000's, when girls switched over to higher-waisted skinny jeans. Weirdly enough, for some reason, my generation really liked showing off their underwear.

I had forgotten about the "whale tail." I hated that look. It just seems over the top slutty. I think it's fine to be a slut, just don't look one :*) I imagine that Marie would rebel against Claire and keep showing her tail, but one reprimand from Isidore would have those pants hiked right on up!

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..