Deadly Earthquake hits New Zealand

• Site Administrator

CNN Link

My thoughts go out to all the people in New Zealand especially in the Christchurch area.

Not sure if any of our members live in that area, but hopefully they are safe.

This hit me really hard this morning. I'm a New Zealander, and my Mum rang and I thought it was to wish her grandson a happy second birthday, because he turned 2 today. I was shocked and very sad to hear about the earthquake, and how it took lives with it this time.

I have a couple of family members down there. One was sitting in the hairdresser's chair when the earthquake hit. The building around him crumpled down and blocked them inside. He chose not to move at all, and was lucky no debris hit him in any damaging way. Together the people in the hairdressers pulled away at the fallen building and dragged themselves out.

I am extremely lucky that he and his wife are okay, but for many families they're not so lucky. I feel for them and the grief at those who've lost their dear ones.

One thing I am super proud of, being a NZer, is seeing how well we cope with disaster. Neighbours and friends and family are all coming together to help each other out. I love how caring we are as people, how we show that we really are concerned for other's wellbeings.

Okay, I'm now too teary to continue.

I send my love to those who this has affected.

XOXOXOXO

• Like 3

My cousin lives in Christchurch and I haven't been able to get a hold of her. She's in her 70s and lives alone. Her house was damaged in the big quake a few months ago, and it has not been repaired yet. I'm trying NOT to think about the possibilities.

Edited by Tipdin