Do you like the musicals ?

"Musicals" are a form of theatre combining music, songs, spoken dialogue and dance. The emotional content of the piece – humor, pathos, love, anger – as well as the story itself, is communicated through the words, music, movement and technical aspects of the entertainment as an integrated whole. Some are brought on the stage of famous theatres, some are the subject of movies. Since I was 18 (1959), I enjoyed both forms.

From all the musicals of this period, I checked the ones I saw, either in theatres or as movies, in Paris, London and at home, and made a list of the best ones IMO.

Here the List :

??????????? (see edit)

..... .....................

I suppose that for most of you, particularly the younger ones, these titles don’t mean anything. But with the elder ones, we could perhaps share the pleasure I found remembering the nice hours I spent listening to all these songs.

edit : I made a list of title with Youtube inserts [media]http://[...../media], but the system refused them all except 2. Why ? I dont know :angry:.

Maybe I will try to bring them on another way

Edited by old bob

"Musicals" are a form of theatre combining music, songs, spoken dialogue and dance. The emotional content of the piece – humor, pathos, love, anger – as well as the story itself, is communicated through the words, music, movement and technical aspects of the entertainment as an integrated whole. Some are brought on the stage of famous theatres, some are the subject of movies. Since I was 18 (1959), I enjoyed both forms.

From all the musicals of this period, I checked the ones I saw, either in theatres or as movies, in Paris, London and at home, and made a list of the best ones IMO.

<a name="OLE_LINK18">I suppose that for most of you, particularly the younger ones, these titles don’t mean anything. But with the elder ones, we could perhaps share the pleasure I found remembering the nice hours I spent listening to all these songs.

I have no passion for musicals. Classics or modern. I did love Baz Luhrman's Romeo and Juliet and Moulin Rouge, but I'm not a fan of the genre at all. Most of the musicals seem fake-happy to me.

I love the classic Rogers and Hammerstein musicals. I think County Fair is my favorite. There's simply an air of magic, of fantasy, to them. I like the positive, dream-like aspect. I guess that's the primary reason I don't care for Les Miz or Rent or the like; too depressing.

I have no passion for musicals. Classics or modern. I did love Baz Luhrman's Romeo and Juliet and Moulin Rouge, but I'm not a fan of the genre at all. Most of the musicals seem fake-happy to me.

Really Maria? There are definitely some musicals that are less than happily-ever-after, including one w/ a character that shares your name . . .

Really Maria? There are definitely some musicals that are less than happily-ever-after, including one w/ a character that shares your name . . .

Well, I know nothing about musicals and I do realise I was generalizing way too much with my comment :P ... Maybe I'll start with them when I'm finished with GA stories :rolleyes:

Here my list :

1927 Show Boat

1935 Porgy and Bess

1959 The Sound of Music

1964 Hello, Dolly.

1965 Man of La Mancha

1968 Zorba

1970 Love Story

1971 Grease

1973 The Rocky Horror Show

1975 A Chorus Line

1982 Cats

1986 The Phantom of the Opera

1987 Les Misérables

2000 The Full Monty

You can go yourself on Youtube and listen to the best songs of them :great:

Edited by old bob
  • Like 1

my favourite favourite favourite musical is Les Miserables.

Of the older ones I sob my heart out still at Carousel (When you Walk Through A Storm *sob sob* ) On a lighter note Half a Sixpence. My daugher can recite word for word Calamity Jane and I love Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is classic... the Sabine women were a sobbing :)

Of the newer ones apart from Les Mis I love Phantom... I actually have some one the songs on my only source of walking music, alongside Black Sabbath, DragonForce, Band of Skulls etc. I also like Chicago a lot and The Woman In White which was a surprising visit as we had booked Les Mis and it was cancelled at the last minute.

Hmmm :)

Musicals were my life for may years. I've been singing and dancing my whole life. I met my fisrt husband doing a musical. My current husband toured with a couple of Broadway shows. We have friends and family in Hollywood who are involved in the biz, from writing stage plays to TV production. I miss doing them - a lot.

Edited by Tipdin

In no particular order:

1. Guys and Dolls

2. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

3. Singin' in the Rain

4. Yankee Doodle Dandy

5.Sound of Music

6. Golddigger movies (I think theres more than one)

7. White Christmas

I know there is more, but this is what comes to mind.

Edited by Breeze

I love Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is classic... the Sabine women were a sobbing :)

Loved Seven Brides for Seven Brothers! So funny.

The music from the King and I was pretty catchy.

My all time favorite is Man of La Mancha, I think. My mother used to play the record and I learned to sing Dulcinea's song long before I knew what it was really about :P. Got to see Brent Spiner as Don Quijote last year-- he was really good.

I always say I'm not really into musicals...but I always seem to enjoy them when I go, so maybe I'm wrong.

As it happens I saw a wonderful revival of the Fantastics Friday night; knew nothing about it, had no idea what to expect, only went because it was part of our theatre subscription package...but I thought it was just lovely. Walked that fine line between sweet and schmaltzy really well. I was really touched by it.

And I saw Next to Normal last summer on Broadway, and thought it was amazing.

And I've also seen some Gilbert and Sullivan I just loved....

I don't actually like musicals...... too much singing and dancing and happyness and just blah!

But I grew up with an annoying dad who forced my sister and I to watch classic movies including musicals

My favourite are -

"The Rocky Horror Picture Show" - ok its the movie version.... but in my opinion better

"Phantom of the Opera"

"Cats"

"The Sound of Music" makes me fall asleep..... worst movie ever made imo :)

I'm young and I happen to love musicals.

1. Kiss Me, Kate

2. Phantom of the Opera

3. Chicago

4. Spring Awakening

5. Little Shop of Horrors

6. Secret Garden

7. Wicked

8. Legally Blonde

9. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (absolute favorite)